Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EPI 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 pm 

Hello, I placed an absentee bid on a pair of EPI 100's at the local auction house the other day of $10, and ended up getting them for $5. In pretty good shape, save for the foams on the drivers of course. This will be my first attempt at refoaming, which I'm looking forward to. Unfortunately, I dropped a speaker box after woofer removal, and chipped a corner of the cabinet (luckily, at least, a bottom back corner). But, the impact resulted in the tweeter magnet breaking loose from the back of the tweeter surrounding plastic plate. It appears as if the magnet was simply glued to the plate, which permitted contact with the back of the inverted dome tweeter itself. Is this all that there is to it? Do I simply need to glue the magnet back into place?

Post subject: Re: EPI 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 pm 

I would think you may need to source a replacement.There is an alignment process that is required.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:28 pm 

The magnet assembly has the magnet, the back plate with center post, and the front plate, which leaves a gap for the coil. If the glue holding the front or back plate breaks, the coil will be pinned in place. If this assembly is intact, and merely separated from the plastic faceplate, you can glue the faceplate back on.
If the dome/coil is attached to the faceplate, center it carefully, so the coil does not rub in the magnet gap.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm 

Check out Human Speakers on line tor EPI replacements and a lot of history to read....

Humanspeakers.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:01 pm 

Alec_124c41 wrote:
The magnet assembly has the magnet, the back plate with center post, and the front plate, which leaves a gap for the coil. If the glue holding the front or back plate breaks, the coil will be pinned in place. If this assembly is intact, and merely separated from the plastic faceplate, you can glue the faceplate back on.
If the dome/coil is attached to the faceplate, center it carefully, so the coil does not rub in the magnet gap.

Cheers,
Alec

Thanks Alec, the rectangular magnet broke clean away from the back of the tweeter plate. I will post a few photos