Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:15 am 

I have to admit I already have not given this much fore thought.
And like I do not have enough projects on the go.
Here is my situation.
I have a pair of NS690's already BUT I also have a pair of NS690 crossovers sitting here in a box doing nothing as well as boxes of really nice mid drivers and tweeters.
The thought occurred to me to make some identical size boxes, with as close to possible with comparable modern components and see how they turn out.
Because the original Yamaha tweeters seem to be the NS690 Achilles heel, perhaps I can come up with something in the ballpark.
At least I can A/B them afterwards and see how it turns out.
:?:
I hate having A.D.D btw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 am 

Attachment:
banging-head-on-wall.jpg
banging-head-on-wall.jpg [ 37.41 KiB | Viewed 2028 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:17 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Attachment:
banging-head-on-wall.jpg

point taken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:20 pm 

Jeez O, where ya been hiding the graphic all this time? :lol:
I see it becoming the #1 or #2 answer to a lot of posts, posts more evil and condescending than DIY winter projects... :!:

I look forward to seeing it repeatedly in 2017..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shall we start a list now of subjects pre approved for B.H.H. :arrow: bang head here..

:arrow:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:39 pm 

I have ADD too... so let me give you advice.... buy speakers pre built and designed by someone who can see something through to the end. The cost of quality components alone is enough without figuring out how to make it all play nice. For what a pair of 690s would cost, you are probably best off saving, being patient and keeping an eye out.

If you really have ADD, you likely know how anxiety is a real treat , and don't want to see you making things more difficult than they may already be. Some projects cause lots of unnecessary aggravation that in the end isn't always worth it IME.

-- 15 Dec 2016 00:40 --

OBI56 wrote:
Attachment:
banging-head-on-wall.jpg

Is "subtle" of French origin? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:20 pm 

Was kind of expecting a bit of support in the DIY section...instead of negativity.
And don't come back with the "ya gotta be realistic" line...or "it's not worth the expense or aggravation".
Anybody can go buy a pair of speakers...and sometimes they suck brand new.
You can build something...they may suck too, but they might just sound good too.
and it may cost a few dollars along the way...but unless one tries you never know.
I am thinking the responses have perhaps made me more determined.
So that's a good thing.
Although I have never been diagnosed with ADD I feel that I.....SQUIRREL!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:38 pm 

Alexander, let me rephrase things here. The NS-690 is one of those speakers that dozens of big companies have tried to clone with different components, with engineering staffs, extensive computer simulations, decades of technical knowledge and full production facilities and have pretty much all failed miserably. I do understand your need to try out new projects and all, but if it were as easy as taking a bunch of random speaker components off a shelf and assembling them together, dont you think that the pros would have been more successful at it by now?

I just feel that you would be far better off trying things out with a proven design using proven drivers in the form of a kit or pre-tested plans and woud also be far more satisfied with the results. I was where you are 5 decades ago and know how great the temptation is, but I also know what sort of disappointment comes from setting goals that even the pros can't meet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:17 pm 
Premium User

ROFLMAO This is the best thread ever!! I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1973... No wonder I have so many pairs of speakers. I get bored really quickly.

I have Squirrel moments many times a day. ;)

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm 

give the op a break and maybe some support along the way would be a nice gesture it maybe you looking for advice and support on future project.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 pm 

While I don't have the skills and knowledge to tell you how to do it, I think you should try. If you finish a pair and they sound ok, the worst you could do is give them to a friend getting into music, or donate them somewhere. You would have used up parts laying around and maybe even have learned something. If you share your home with anyone, they may appreciate the reuse of the parts they think are junk. It may keep you out of their hair as well, making the heart grow fonder. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 am 

It may keep you out of their hair as well, making the heart grow fonder. [/quote]

LOL...yes my wife is very supportive of staying out of her hair LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:35 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Alexander, let me rephrase things here. The NS-690 is one of those speakers that dozens of big companies have tried to clone with different components, with engineering staffs, extensive computer simulations, decades of technical knowledge and full production facilities and have pretty much all failed miserably. I do understand your need to try out new projects and all, but if it were as easy as taking a bunch of random speaker components off a shelf and assembling them together, dont you think that the pros would have been more successful at it by now?

I just feel that you would be far better off trying things out with a proven design using proven drivers in the form of a kit or pre-tested plans and woud also be far more satisfied with the results. I was where you are 5 decades ago and know how great the temptation is, but I also know what sort of disappointment comes from setting goals that even the pros can't meet.

Thank you for the rephrase OBI...I am quite sure that any creation I come up with will not be as good as the original and I doubt I will be threatening any of Yamahas (or Yorx for that matter) market share ever. The fun factor will be much higher though, that anticipation building up to completion, final tweaks, the moment the cables get hooked up, then shouting (ala Count Malachi from Happy Days) "let the pigeons loose"...then....fizzle, fizzle. No fanfare, no crashing of symbols and marching bands. Just be mumbling "dagnabbit...I should have listened to OBI"...then my wife saying "well, you tried and it kept you out of my hair for a while. Perhaps you need to take it apart and look at it again". Kind of like Clark Griswold and his Christmas lights. :)
And I should be appreciative of the concerns of very possible pending disappointment from my fellow CAMers.

Attachments:
126325453bbcf9b01cf7acfe831f35a1.jpg
126325453bbcf9b01cf7acfe831f35a1.jpg [ 251.19 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:02 am 

Hey, if you have the pieces lying around, why not go for it? I have an empty pair of NS-1000 boxes waiting for me to make "clones."
One thing: when you get them all built, they probably won't sound like you expected them to, but you will learn a lot by varying the parameters to make them better.
BTW the NS-1000 and NS-500 boxes are lined with thick felt, which the NS-690s lack.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:02 am 

Alec_124c41 wrote:
Hey, if you have the pieces lying around, why not go for it? I have an empty pair of NS-1000 boxes waiting for me to make "clones."
One thing: when you get them all built, they probably won't sound like you expected them to, but you will learn a lot by varying the parameters to make them better.
BTW the NS-1000 and NS-500 boxes are lined with thick felt, which the NS-690s lack.

Cheers,
Alec

Thank you for the info Alec. I will take the felt lining into consideration. I will research that.
Question is, which was a better speaker...the 1000 or the 690. (ah the never ending debate of 'how long is a piece of string?')
I have heard varying reports.
Or it could be not the fact one is better (because that is subjective) but just different.
Interesting none the less.
My clones will likely be Frankenstein speakers either way. Constantly on the slab for tweaks, swaps and updates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 am 

As I have both running in 2 systems...I do like the NS line, I also have the NS: 500,675,645,625,
back to the question, the NS-1000 and the 690 both sound very similar however the 690 has a slightly softer sound. Both have tight bass and clean highs. I would say that the 1000's have a slight edge over the 690's due to the beryllium tweeters.
Some say that tweeter is a weak spot but I haven't noticed any issue as long as you turn down the volume before you power up.

Same can be true for any speaker's tweeters I suppose, but I do have a spare set just in case.

I do like both pairs