Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:46 am 

Hi All

so the grill cloth on my Yammies are showing their age a bit, nothing unsightly just the corners are a little frayed.
Being OCD it annoys me a little bit.
The speakers themselves are a 9.5/10...owned since new

The grill frames are metal so curious if anyone out there has had any experience with "re-grilling" ?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:14 am 

Is there a Fabricland in TO? or some such place? Buy a few yards more than you need. They would carry the thick rough stuff such as one would see on Heresy's or the thin smooth cloth that was used a lot in the 90's. I used a hot glue gun for mine, but they were thick plastic panels. You can still use hot glue but be careful of the amount coming through the other side as you have metal frames.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am 

i'm not sure that hot glue would be the way to go here as the glue may not adhere well on the metal frame

thanks though

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:39 am 

This should do the trick, I`ve been using it for years with great results.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 460&rt=rud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 pm 

Thanks
The concern I have is I don't want to do a hack Job on them.
I would gladly pay someone who is experienced in this who can do a great CLEAN job.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 pm 

Michael F wrote:
This should do the trick, I`ve been using it for years with great results.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 460&rt=rud

Just pulled out the can I have been using for this for years and this is exactly it. Works like a charm.

Spray it on the frame, let it tack up for a few seconds, deposit the cloth on the frame and then gently stretch it out slightly around the frame from the 2 opposing sides (or top + bottom) at the same time, then flip it over, spray the glue on the underside of the frame and finish stretching the cloth around the frame. Flip back over onto a flat surface and let dry for a bit. Then flip it back on its face and do your final trimming.

Alternatively (easier for a first timer), spread your cloth out on a flat surface and slightly stretch it taut and straight in all directions. Spray the glue on the metal frame, then deposit the frame onto the cloth with a slight pressure on the frame to secure it. Final spray on the back side of the frame and finish wrapping around the frame. Flip over onto a clean, flat surface to finish drying and setting up, then flip bac over for your final trim.

Voila, done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:40 pm 

Hi, consider this a test of personal restraint. Forget the cloth. If you can sit there and enjoy your system knowing & ignoring that everything is not absolutely pristine and positively symmetrical then you are that much more mentally healthy than the usual uptight, perfectionist, batsheist neurotic audiophile we all hear of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:07 pm 

I went down to my workshop/studio to see what I have, and there's my can of 77 in the cupboard.
Going to have to practice and see how I do. Have redone grills via the old staple gun method but this is entirely another animal !!!

to me anyways

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:51 am 

Perfect Pitch wrote:
Hi, consider this a test of personal restraint. Forget the cloth. If you can sit there and enjoy your system knowing & ignoring that everything is not absolutely pristine and positively symmetrical then you are that much more mentally healthy than the usual uptight, perfectionist, batsheist neurotic audiophile we all hear of.

browsing the web shows the majority of pic's of NS1000's sans grilles.
I bought my NS690 with no grilles....considered making some but love the way they look as is.
But everybody is different.
I know Lens Mill Fabric in Guelph has a near exact replacement fabric that I use for other projects...highly recommend it.
I wish you well in your quest.