Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:31 am 

I am trying to source a pump for my record cleaner I am trying to build, and wonder if the folks here may be able to help. Pumps aren't something too familiar to me.

As I understand, the base model Loricraft uses a 0.5cfm pump. The higher models use one closer to 1cfm IIRC.

Many out there who have built similar units have had varying specs on their pumps, and I have been unable to come to a consensus on which is best/minimum/maximum spec. Some have said that 0.5cfm was too little. I have come across 3cfm units, but feared they may be too powerful. Then you have the different types of pumps out there. It seems that a diaphragm pump is best, as the ones that take oil will expel a fine mist, or possibly leak.

Some members have already suggested some good pumps, but am curious the limits I can push spec wise. What's too strong of a pump? Regulators look expensive, and I am sure there is a DIY workaround, but would like to focus my energy on the RCM itself.

I have come across both types in my search and wonder if anyone has had any developments on the DIY RCM front... and what spec's have worked. I am leaning toward diaphragm models as stated, found a 0.5cfm @ 10psi pump for a reasonable price, but fear it may not be sufficient enough for the task. There is a 1.5cfm nearby, but it uses oil. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:24 am 

This is what I used:

http://www.drivemedical.com/index.php/h ... e-362.html

It doesn't have a cfm spec, only pressure. I got it for cheap on craigslist. Comes with tubing, collection container etc. so some savings to be had. Implementation was a trial/error thing as far as suction, arm motion, "vtf" and platter speed combined to get it "right"

Attachments:
RCM_in.jpg
RCM_in.jpg [ 181.77 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]
RCM_out.jpg
RCM_out.jpg [ 260.7 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 am 

Beauty unit. Was the pump pretty expensive? I would think anything that works in a medical setting is ideal for what we are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:55 am 
Premium User

if you want cheap one, go with a shop-vac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:01 am 

mortron wrote:
Beauty unit. Was the pump pretty expensive? I would think anything that works in a medical setting is ideal for what we are doing.

Thanks, I coughed up a whopping $75 for the pump with all the tubing, container etc. It was in new condition. I figured that was cheap and hence low risk and I didn't mind hacking the electrical for switching etc. I think some of the Monks/Loricraft builds use a dialysis pump which is pretty expensive.

This thing runs very quietly and after cleaning a couple thousand LP's is still going strong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:56 pm 

renehuot70 wrote:
if you want cheap one, go with a shop-vac

I used to use one on my proof of concept unit... they kick up lots of dust etc, which is just one of my issues with using a vac. Size is another concern.