Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:52 pm 

This is the least DIY of my DIY-type speaker projects.

I selected and acquired the drivers and horns and specified the MTM driver arrangement, but that's it.

Steve Kranis at Audio Hardware here in Toronto designed, built and tuned the cabinets as well as designing the passive crossovers.

Cabinets are: 55" H x 15.3" W x 16.5" D and weigh about 160 lbs. each. All panels are 3/4" MDF, but in retrospect I should have had Kranis use 1" birch plywood.

Driver complement for each cabinet:

LF: 2 x Tannoy 12" bass driver model 3112. The two 12-ohm drivers together yield a 6-ohm load. Combined power handling: 640 Watts AES
HF: 1 x Faital Pro HF10AK 1" exit, 8-ohm compression driver with Faital Pro STH100 tractrix horn (80 x 70 degree dispersion pattern). Power handling: 60 Watts AES

Passive crossover @ 1.5 kHz with 12 dB/oct. slopes also time aligns the drivers.

Overall system sensitivity: around 97 dB. System power handling: 700 Watts AES; 1400 Watts continuous program

For specifications of the compression driver:

http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF10AK-1.htm

For information on the LF driver:

http://www.lmcaudio.co.uk/assets/pdf/S900.pdf

While not plumbing the chthonian depths of the bass—I'm used to stereo 18" subwoofers—the speakers give a very lively, dynamic, and detailed presentation with a very large sound stage. Never harsh, even at high SPLs. And even in my 18,000 cu.ft. listening space, they do a good job of filling every corner of the room with music.

They're sensitive enough to use with low-powered tube (or solid-state) amplifiers, but, as always, I prefer the dynamic power that only seems possible with high-powered, high-current solid-state amplifiers. Currently using the McCormack DNA-500 I mentioned recently in another thread.

Next project will be to create a similar speaker system, but with greater LF extension and dynamic slam without sacrificing delicacy, detail, and the illusion of three-dimensionality. I've already selected the LF and MF drivers: 2 x TAD TL-1601b (below 200 Hz), 2 x JBL 2123 (200-1800 Hz) with tweeter or compression driver not yet determined.

Attachments:
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg [ 138.91 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg [ 198.29 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG [ 177.99 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG [ 198.67 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:24 pm 

Very cool stuff Joel!!

I dig that you're always up to something it seems. Have these speakers unseated anything in your collection or have you just added to it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:16 pm 

Very cool indeed...that last project with AE and Beyma drivers sounded great, could these be better with the MTM arrangement?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:50 pm 

I like it. When you got the space, go big.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:37 am 

Perspex wrote:
Very cool indeed...that last project with AE and Beyma drivers sounded great, could these be better with the MTM arrangement?

That's a good question.

The MTM towers have better imaging and are particularly impressive on vocals. But the AE/Beyma/Eminence set-up has superior macro-dynamics and, of course, with the dual 18" subs, superior LF extension. Also, the delicacy and detail of the Beyma horn-loaded ribbon tweeter is quite exceptional.

It's in the next project that I hope to combine the virtues of the Tannoy-Faital Pro towers and the Beyma-AE-Eminence set-up.

One of my goals with this current project was to produce a cabinet somewhat more like one sees in typical commercial designs and that doesn't have the big foot-print of most of my other speakers.

I also need to move the towers up to the mezzanine of my loft to see how they perform in a large space (27 x 15 x 9 feet) that is nevertheless much smaller than the main listening room (27 x 43 x 18 feet). It may be that some, or much, of the weakness in the lower two octaves will disappear. . .

-- Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:47 am --

ngjockey wrote:
I like it. When you got the space, go big.

Then the joke's on me!

With the Tannoy-Faital Pro towers, I was trying to create a design more "partner-friendly," i.e., with a smaller footprint, than my other speaker systems, but without too many performance compromises.

Given the performance of the speakers, I thought a circa 2 sq. ft. footprint (15.3 x 16.5 inches) was quite an accomplishment.

I guess one person's slim tower is another's glowering behemoth.

But I shouldn't be surprised: when, at her request, I put together a nice basic system for my daughter, she commented on how large the speakers were. And those were 8-inch Tannoy dual concentrics in bookshelf-style cabinets that weigh perhaps 10 kg each.