Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Grounding Box
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am 

RobChamp, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
But I think the two types of ground do meet when using the method
whereby you connect the chassis ground by way of screws together with
RCA signal ground all star grounded to a grounding block, which in turn
connects to the wall ground.
To prevent ground loops, wouldn't it be advisable to keep the grounding schemes
separate? One could use the box with crystals for the signal ground, then separately,
use the wall grounded box for chassis screws.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 am 

Is the box grounded?

If so, why not replace the contents of the box with a large wattage resistor?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:33 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Erik wrote:
Are you connecting the signal grounds on each monoblock?

Yes.

I have a 3rd ground available on the box...on the advice of Wynn at Wynn Audio I have ordered a cable that will connect the box to the 'ground' on my outlet.

I would have used it for my preamp but it is about 25 ft away!!!

Wynn states that greatest success seems to be achieved when you are able to ground directly to the electrical panel!!!

Be aware that busing left/right grounds in dual mono/monoblock electronics will muck up the crosstalk.
One of the reasons to run dual mono.

G

from AudioPrecision

Attachments:
Screenshot_2018-08-09 More about Crosstalk - Audio Precision.png
Screenshot_2018-08-09 More about Crosstalk - Audio Precision.png [ 82.62 KiB | Viewed 505 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:46 am 

sasquatch wrote:
Be aware that busing left/right grounds in dual mono/monoblock electronics will muck up the crosstalk.
One of the reasons to run dual mono.

"Muck up" means increase. Whereas, dual mono is supposed to decrease crosstalk, which is desireable.

What increasing cross-talk does is it essentially adds a monaural signal to the replay. So center images will seem stronger. However, this is distortion... the left channel signal is not supposed to influence the right channel and vice versa.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 am 

Some of the upper models of Entreq, tripoint and synergistic are connected to wall ground
whether they have crystals in them or not.
Similarly, some components have their signal ground connected to chassis ground, and some do not.
I suppose all these variables brings us back to try it and see.
it may or may not provide an uptick in SQ on any given system...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am 
Premium User

Here's a short read on peoples experiences with ENTREQ grounding boxes:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthre ... ng/page284

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 am 

Jhorkulak, I think you are correct. But first you should first have a look look at your amp and/or preamp. Do they have 3-prong AC plugs? If they do, it's likely that the chassis is electrically grounded. If that's the case, you are correct that you should keep the signal/noise grounding separate.

In my case, I have a vintage Carver MRX-130 receiver which has only a 2-prong plug and therefore an isolated chassis. The ground screw is internally connect directly to the chassis, so is part of my signal/noise grounding.

I upgraded the AC power cords of the Carver and my Sansui turntable with Belden 19364 shielded power cable. I tried connecting the AC ground wire to the receiver's chassis and, no surprise, lots of noise. Instead, I connect the shielding to my signal/noise ground system. The made a huge difference: the noise level dropped dramatically!

I agree that the ground box should only be connected to the signal/noise ground system.

You should also use good quality wire for grounding. Kimber TCX 15awg hookup wire was recommend by the folks at Parts Connection in Burlington ON Kimber Wire TCX 15awg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am 

milesian wrote:
Good points Flash and Audio_Guy. Single ground cable attached to RCA seems best to my ears so far. Might try the box again in the future. If not my SO can put my ashes in it when I'm gone and reattach it. That way I'll have music in the afterlife to supplement the heavenly choir.

Well not just that but you could really mess with your SO....start adding lyrics from other songs to the one he/she is listening to....maybe Ozzy lyrics to a Dire Straits song....or add an extra instrument not in the original recording, but only do it when nobody else is around....oh you could have fun with that....im getting cremated now too, cant pass up an opportunity like that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 am 

milesian wrote:
Lutherton wrote:
milesian wrote:
Built it, tried it and not so good. Perhaps my substrate wasn’t the right mix. Still, a fun project. Went back to a cryo’d copper wire soldered to the ground of an RCA plug at one end, and attached to the ground pin of a Hubbell plug. Noticeably much better. Dynamic, detailed and oddly enough I have to turn the volume knob down a few notches. I see IFI has a product on Amazon called the Groundbuster. Basically the same concept but let’s you use a quality power cord connecting the ground portion only. Fascinating tweak.

Am I understanding this correctly? You run the copper wire from the RCA ground to the ground pin of a 3-prong plug which is plugged in to a wall outlet? And the RCA jack plugs in to any unused input/output on your preamp? This sounds like a fun project, without almost zero cost. Any tips/comments would be appreciated.

Yup you got it. Just double check everything with a continuity tester when you’re done. You don’t want any continuity between the rca plug and the power pins on the power plug. You should only have continuity with the rca ground and the power plug’s ground pin. Plug the rca into an unused INPUT and give it a listen. Cheap tweak if it works for you. I might also suggest making sure your outlet is properly grounded before starting.

I was going to buy the IFI groundbuster then figured I could build one cheaper using a Schurter 4735 from TakeFiveaudio, with only the ground pin connected. Using that you can experiment with a pre-made heavier gauge power cord.

All the usual warnings go with this. Be careful..

I made one of these a while ago, using materials that were kicking around the house - fully functional but nothing fancy. Connected to an unused Output jack on my Tortuga passive preamp, there is no difference in the sound quality. All inputs are connected to various sources, but it doesn't matter which jack the ground connects to, as the grounds of all input and output jacks are connected together. The Tortuga is dead silent without the ground cable, so I didn't expect much here. Then I put a Meitner PA6i preamp back into the system, and connected the ground to an unused input. Without the ground cable, I've had a bit of a hum issue when using inputs other than Phono. With the ground cable, the hum is still there, and I also hear it on the Phono input. So, this tweak does not always have a positive outcome and sometimes has a negative effect. Gone from my stereo, never to return, and I'm happy that the experiment cost nothing.