Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am 

Ive had my cable box hooked up to my stereo for decades. The Stingray music channels are my go to for exploring different genres of music. Ive spent a small fortune on isolation tweaks and cabling for the box. The sound quality is now quite surprising.
On the computer I listen to the CBC music channels.
I constantly discover new artists to add to my 'to buy' list.

I do prefer listening to these 'discoveries' on vinyl. But the mix of artists on the Stingray channels is hard to top. Endless variety and someone else picking the tunes is always fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am 

msommers wrote:
The most crucial component to streaming is a good dac, it's the very heart of the system -- in the world of digital whether that be CD, DSD downloads, MP3s or Streaming, you NEED a high quality dac to get the most out of those 1's and 0's.

Auralic makes a very good, reasonably priced streaming device that I think will satisfy most. But again, be smart where you put your dollars first when looking at the digital side of things.

In my experience the streaming device and software makes just as big a difference as a DAC. At present I use an Innuos Zen MkII with a Devialet 120 and the Innuos Zen streams to my desktop acting as an endpoint to a Dragon Fly Red. My ethernet cables are worth more than the Dragon Fly, but that along with the Innuos made a huge difference. Roon supporting MQA doesn't hurt as well. But the Innuos beat out MQA stream/dac combos before that like BluSound or a Mytel Brooklyn+ hooked up to a computer running Tidal app bare.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am 

newmusic wrote:
Ive had my cable box hooked up to my stereo for decades. The Stingray music channels are my go to for exploring different genres of music. Ive spent a small fortune on isolation tweaks and cabling for the box. The sound quality is now quite surprising.
On the computer I listen to the CBC music channels.
I constantly discover new artists to add to my 'to buy' list.

I do prefer listening to these 'discoveries' on vinyl. But the mix of artists on the Stingray channels is hard to top. Endless variety and someone else picking the tunes is always fun.

I did that some years back however my set up now is no where near a cable box' I have Sonos now as it provides a much wider source. A couple preferences I have found are Russian based blues stations and German based Jazz. The variety really allows for more selective filtering, such as acoustic blues or New Orlean's jazz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am 

Adriankn wrote:
msommers wrote:
The most crucial component to streaming is a good dac, it's the very heart of the system -- in the world of digital whether that be CD, DSD downloads, MP3s or Streaming, you NEED a high quality dac to get the most out of those 1's and 0's.

Auralic makes a very good, reasonably priced streaming device that I think will satisfy most. But again, be smart where you put your dollars first when looking at the digital side of things.

In my experience the streaming device and software makes just as big a difference as a DAC. At present I use an Innuos Zen MkII with a Devialet 120 and the Innuos Zen streams to my desktop acting as an endpoint to a Dragon Fly Red. My ethernet cables are worth more than the Dragon Fly, but that along with the Innuos made a huge difference. Roon supporting MQA doesn't hurt as well. But the Innuos beat out MQA stream/dac combos before that like BluSound or a Mytel Brooklyn+ hooked up to a computer running Tidal app bare.

Interesting. I'm not quite following you though, is the Zen MKII a dac or a streaming device (or both)? Or which dacs have you all tried?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm 

I realise the value of having thousands of songs at your fingertips for free or a nominal fee, some of the better radio stations disappearing or going Hip Hop etc, but I was more interested in the sound quality difference between them. Back in the day, when they spun records, they used to play them on old studio type turntables with sometimes low quality needles, ideally not the best equipment. Anybody with a decent turntable rig at home could best the sound. But now i assume its all digital, is it "CD" quality or MP3 quality through the FM and how would that rate against the streaming services?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
Joe Rockhead wrote:
Clearly there are diverse opinions/experiences with audio quality of the various streaming services versus cd or lp with many mitigating factors along the way. But has anybody bothered to look at good old over the air FM radio (the original free music "stream") vs streaming or cd/lp?

the lack of decent local FM radio was the key reason for me to look at streaming in the first place.

+1. FM is usually the first thing I turn on when I get home after work. But, just like TV, there's often nothing on but the usual schlock. Streaming, even though the Mytek Stereo96 DAC, is not as rich sounding as the FM (or even the CDP through the same DAC), but at least the music is more interesting. Finding a station playing exactly what you want is tough to beat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm 

The first thing I noticed when subscribing to HiFi Tidal was a lot of my older CD's had been remastered.

Streaming for me and when in the mood, some Vinyl.

Its all good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 pm 

msommers wrote:
Adriankn wrote:
msommers wrote:

Interesting. I'm not quite following you though, is the Zen MKII a dac or a streaming device (or both)? Or which dacs have you all tried?

The Innuos Zen is a streamer/Roon Core. Dacs I've tried: Hegel HD12, Hegel HD30, Bryston BDA-2, Bryston BDA-3, Mytek Brooklyn, Mytek Brooklyn +, Mytek Liberty, Rega DAC-R, Micromega MyDac, Peachtree DAC-X, Peachtree Son a DAC, BluSound Node2, BluSound Vault2 (almost all the BluSound products actually), most of the Cambridge, ifi and Audioquest stuff, some nuprime and a ton of integrated with built in DACs from Bryston, Hegel, Peachtree, Devialet, Naim, Cambridge and so on.

If you meant with the Innuos, mostly Bryston, Mytek and Devialet stuff. And endpoints like BluSound, Naim Muso/Uniti, and my computer running as an endpoint with various Sacs.

Point is, Innuos in the system, better sound. Check out Darko review , Ear or LowBeats review. Sums it up better than I can. They make all digital more organic sounding, especially streaming, which needs it the most.