Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 am 
Premium User

Here's why I won't ever be shipping or purchasing anything using EasyPost.

Here's a line from the EasyPost T&C page that outlines when they can deny an insurance claim:

Loss, damage, or non-arrival of any package or its contents which (a) is addressed, wrapped, or packed insufficiently, incorrectly, or contrary to carrier's packaging requirements; or (b) bears a descriptive label or packaging which tends to describe nature of contents EXCEPT if shipped via Parcel Post and required by Postal Laws and Regulations.

So does that mean if it was shipped in the original container and it happened to be labeled "Krell Amplifier" the insurance claim could be denied? Do they not trust their own shippers they are using?

Read their T&C for yourself here:
https://www.easypost.com/privacy.html#shipping-insurance

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:29 am 

Quote:
Here something UPS told me... none of their insurance matters unless they packed it... even if you are the best packer in the world.. .unless they did it, it isn't good enough...

Even with UPS store packing, they gave a headache to refund damaged stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:32 am 
Premium User

revoxb77 wrote:
Quote:
Here something UPS told me... none of their insurance matters unless they packed it... even if you are the best packer in the world.. .unless they did it, it isn't good enough...

Even with UPS store packing, they gave a headache to refund damaged stuff.

+1 that. I seem to remember just such a post not too long ago.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:47 am 

PBB wrote:

Oh, I should have avoided asking their claims examiner if UPS actually stood for "ur parcel slipped" though. :oops:

I thought it stood for UNITED PARCEL SMASHERS !

Domestic ups delivery is one thing International delivery is even more obtuse . Don't get me started !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 am 
Premium User

reistech wrote:
Hello site admin...

My name is Antonio Reis. Szikora, who posted above, is my friend, and he is referring to Krell amp i just sold and shipped. I have, in fact left you Two messages on your email site, with no response, I have also tried to contact you by phone, in Vancouver (where your Neo Era Media Inc offices are - at least the PO Box is), with no success... I will post more information in a bit, but wanted to get your attention here. UPS has removed the amp from the buyer's location, against Both mine and the buyer's wishes (we both wanted no further damage done to the amp). I even went so far as to force the "manager" at the UPS call centre (somewhere in what sounds like south east Asia) to send me an email confirming that they would inspect the amp onsite, and Not remove it (I have the email). Of course, they removed it for "inspection" at their site. Their "objective" report was that 1. The box is too thin to transport the unit (mind you, its the Original Krell Box!), and 2. That there should have been internal protection as well, like second layers of cardboard, foam etc (In fact, it was Also packaged in the internal Krell sub-cradle, that has a second cardboard layer, and fitted foam so the amp is secured and cradled away from all the outer walls). How self-serving, and truly dishonest a report from UPS, but then what can one expect from a company that is avoiding responsibility for dropping a Krell!!? So... The amp is now either in, or on its way to your post office box CAM (as owned by Neo Era Media Inc.) in Vancouver, as they will not speak with me, apparently I didn't ship it. As an aside, the gentleman that purchased it has been amazing and patient throughout this. I am going to file the insurance claim, let's hope those people in San Francisco can read through a False UPS report, and will overlook that the amp is Not at the buyer's site (one of their conditions)... We certainly tried to keep it there.

UPS is acting as the delivery agent for EasyPost. If UPS, or one of it's employees, erred in demanding & taking possession the parcel from the purchaser then that's on them as they are responsible for knowing every detail of EasyPost's T&C. They are considered the "experts". Claiming "we didn't know" wouldn't hold much water in claims court.

FYI the maximum claim allowable on any one EasyPost shipment is $5k.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am 

doctortube wrote:
PBB wrote:

Oh, I should have avoided asking their claims examiner if UPS actually stood for "ur parcel slipped" though. :oops:

I thought it stood for UNITED PARCEL SMASHERS !

Domestic ups delivery is one thing International delivery is even more obtuse . Don't get me started !

According to a former UPS employee I knew, the internal pronunciation of their company’s name was 'oops'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:26 am 

Tutone wrote:

Generally true but not always. In my experience UPS will usually honor a damage claim IF the item in question was shipped in its' original factory carton and packing. This is especially true when shipping valuable and heavy electronic items. If the item was damaged in transit and the factory packaging was not used then you're pretty much TSOL.

But....UPS may be willing to negotiate paying for repairs if the damage they caused was egregious however there will be exceptions depending on the circumstances. But I'll admit they have gotten a lot more tightfisted when it comes to paying out claims in recent years. It's all about the bottom line. Big Brown ain't no charity.

So if you have the factory box & packaging...always use it and then surround it with another heavy-duty double-wall box i.e. not some flimsy box that U-Haul or OfficeMax sells. It's highly unlikely that UPS could or would refuse to pay a damage claim in that situation. Otherwise just let UPS pack it themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 am 

I’ve been told that one big factor with damage claims is if the shipping container
shows obvious damage.
Was the outer box damaged?

A practical strategy is to count on every shipper to drop
your package. The heavier the package, the more likely
it will be dropped and also be at the bottom of the load
in the back of the truck.

Sad outcome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am 

At the risk of repeating myself UPS should be put out of business. I have been in the auto parts business for 24 years. I used UPS in the beginning. They cost me thousands in damage, unpaid claims and excessive border fees. They actually did me a favour; after a couple of years I found it cheaper to buy a warehouse in Lewiston and broker myself than to continue to pay them I have not used them for years now. They are reprehensible. And they will NEVER pay out an insurance claim

Factory shipping boxes are NOT enough! Especially with heavy objects in (relatively) small boxes. These heavy boxes are placed on conveyor belts...and they fall off them often. Even if the box is not penetrated, things like the transformers will move around INSIDE the case of the amp.....and will fail. The proper way is to pack the factory box inside a shell of 2 inch styrofoam built around the factory box...then placed inside yet another box. That is about all you can do. But anything less IS your responsibility. Sorry to say it. In the shipping business, customers who under-pack are notorious. And claims are common.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:19 pm 
Premium User

Nasty situation with an unnecessary group of CAM-hired 'middle men' thrown into the process. Total clusterf**k.

But it was all SO predictable!
With all the forum posts here over the years about the incompetence and brutality of UPS (and somewhat less for FedEx), I can't imagine why anyone would expect a good outcome shipping a component of that weight and size. :roll: Do your homework people!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:11 pm 

AVguy wrote:
Nasty situation with an unnecessary group of CAM-hired 'middle men' thrown into the process. Total clusterf**k.

But it was all SO predictable!
With all the forum posts here over the years about the incompetence and brutality of UPS (and somewhat less for FedEx), I can't imagine why anyone would expect a good outcome shipping a component of that weight and size. :roll: Do your homework people!

I agree to a point...but I don't understand why, with all of the complaints about UPS, that CAM chose them as their shipper and this third party for the CAM insurance. Seems like a recipe for a disaster!

I am glad that the OP posted this as I did not know about the CAM shipping option and will be avoiding that as a future option!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:37 pm 

As soon as I saw UPS, I stopped reading. Their nickname isn't "oops" for nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:01 pm 

Sorry to hear your experience. An observation: External damage or no sign of it cannot predict internal damage. I was a paramedic for many years and this is what I learned from many trauma cases. You are driving your car and go full speed into a head on collision. Other car, tree whatever. The car starts a massive very short deceleration, your body against the seatbelt and airbags starts a massive deceleration, your internal organs then start a massive deceleration including your heart which tears the pericardium (sac around heart) and that's it, all over. The human looks not too bad on the exterior, but dead as a door nail from the massive and microsecond deceleration. Laws of physics a body in motion wants to stay in motion. I personally would have it palletized and use a proper shipper if heavy and expensive and/or rare. Again, sorry to hear of your experience.