Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 am 

I can see both sides of this issue but I have to disagree with the admin only for this reason: catharsis.
The world of audiophilia is small, and for the most part (I am getting Freudian here) most men do not get much of a chance to share or talk about things that bother us because we are men, "tough", problem solvers and so on. Hence we have the higher suicide rate too. Anyway, as this is a forum, I believe it is a place that allows us to "vent" in a manner and place that is relatively safe. I am not the admin so I have not seen all the postings and the hurt feelings but I have seen and read more scathing remarks where cables are concerned then I have in forum postings about deadbeat buyers.
Perhaps it is the dark side of me that enjoys reading about the deadbeat buyers and knowing that I am not alone. Reading those postings also alerts me to means or methods of which I need to be aware so as to just be a more informed seller / buyer. As a former detective, we used to have a saying about the two sides to every story, and it is this: There are two sides to every story and somewhere in-between is the truth.
Thanks for letting me vent....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 am 

zkidd wrote:
I can see both sides of this issue but I have to disagree with the admin only for this reason: catharsis.
The world of audiophilia is small, and for the most part (I am getting Freudian here) most men do not get much of a chance to share or talk about things that bother us because we are men, "tough", problem solvers and so on. Hence we have the higher suicide rate too. Anyway, as this is a forum, I believe it is a place that allows us to "vent" in a manner and place that is relatively safe. I am not the admin so I have not seen all the postings and the hurt feelings but I have seen and read more scathing remarks where cables are concerned then I have in forum postings about deadbeat buyers.
Perhaps it is the dark side of me that enjoys reading about the deadbeat buyers and knowing that I am not alone. Reading those postings also alerts me to means or methods of which I need to be aware so as to just be a more informed seller / buyer. As a former detective, we used to have a saying about the two sides to every story, and it is this: There are two sides to every story and somewhere in-between is the truth.
Thanks for letting me vent....

Just a reminder, this thread was started 10 years ago and was revived by another member. Nothing to get worked up about..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:23 am 

PBB wrote:
ripblade wrote:
This is a tough issue, but I have to agree with Admin on this one. A deal is not struck until funds have changed hands. Until then it is all talk and nothing more.

Where did you get your Law degree from? Maybe you could cite something relevant to bolster your assertion?

Wow. This thread is tougher than trying to kill a cat. What Rip is saying is that posting a complaint about someone whom you did not make a deal with is not acceptable.

Here is an example: I sold three sets of cables this past week. They were a brand name, in perfect shape, and sold for a fraction (like 15%) of new. I was inundated with requests. I chose one buyer and consummated the deal. If we are to follow the OP, all those other guys who did not get the deal should complain about me?

No, the only guy who has the right to complain would be the buyer, and (obviously) only if an identified problem was not resolved by me.

If we were to allow threads of complaints about non-purchases to be posted here, CAM could devolve into a place where civility, respect, and candor are ignored. That is something I don't want to see happen.

By the way, there already is a method of reporting inaccurate, or fraudulent sale ads. So I don't think the forums are a place to air that issue either.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

I took the opportunity to clean up the thread so it stays more on topic. I'll also take this opportunity to clean up the first post to clarify what options you have if you only want to deal with confirmed deals (check out our Auctions), and also to address more recent feedback about this rule:

The "no deadbeat" rule is not perfect, but we still feel today in 2018 that it is an appropriate way to deal with this type of issue and strongly urge sellers and buyers to move on when such things happen. Our philosophy when it comes to CAM/USAM as marketplaces is that these types of marketplaces are great places but require a bit of risk taking, patience and the willingness to waste a bit of time here and there.

The spirit in which we want to encourage participation on CAM is for all parties to act in good faith and with good grace. This means that we encourage users to be honest and detailed in their dealings, but also be forgiving and understanding things go wrong. If certain users act consistently and constantly in bad faith or appear to be just trolling buyers or sellers, we will of course handle those separately.

We are considering offering in the future an optional "Make Offer" system whereby the seller can ask a buyer to Make an Offer which is subject to Feedback once everything is agreed upon. In the meantime, the next closest thing is the Buy It Now system, wherein a user outright pays for the item right on the site.