Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:21 pm 

Don't know about audio equipment, but I used to be a vintage guitar and amp dealer. Having a really good credit rating and a really good relationship with your bank manager saves a lot of grief! When I got into it I was just trying to make my "collection" more 'perfect'. I was on the road for over 2 decades and was able to pick up great Fenders, Gibsons and Martin guitars very inexpensively even compared to dealers of the time. Haunting pawnshops in the southern states early in the morning was like finding gold in the streets, especially Las Vegas. 1976, in a White Sands NM, I found a 'happy hour' guy playing in a bar that had a 57 Mary Kay Strat and a 4x10 Bassman that were custom made for him, he wanted a red Gibson and an amp that had reverb, we walked out to the bus and I traded him my mid 60's 335 and a 70's Twin Reverb straight up. From then on it was make my rig better until it got completely out of hand with some 45 guitars and 30 amps. When I moved back to Canada there was a vintage market starting up across the world. The Japanese were buying up everything American they could (except yankee dollars) from ornate old banjos to high end electrics and acoustic Martins and Gibsons. Prices went through the roof, pickers were scouring barns, estate sales, and even pawn shops, again. I was driven out of the business in the early 90's because of rich, richer than me or my banker, boomers had the money to build collections, money no object. I loved the chase, finding a great guitar that those with greater resources didn't find.

In the end, I find it kinda sad that most of the 'classic' guitars, in the best shape, are sitting, unplayed in mausoleums. I have owned every guitar i've ever lusted after, every amp. I now own and use only eight guitars and 6 amps, a banjo, a mandolin, a pedal steel and a bass fiddle. I have a few old Martins that are being restored because they are broken and I only fix canoes... oops, I bought low, sold high, but nowhere near what they are going for now! I used the money to buy land, Fender's Custom Shop, as does Gibsons, Martins etc. quite ususally make better '50's guitars than they did back then. God ain't building much land these days.

And he ain't making custom shop ears, so buy what pleases your ears.... Now I'm going to fire up a pair of 300 pound Wharfedale's that I dragged out of a recording studio 20 years ago, gotta listen to them for one last month before they go back to Jolly Olde, so I can finance another ten hectares that will connect me from the lake back to the river and deny the government subsidized grazillionair winery guy from what he seems to think is his birthright... YAY.... Strange Brew sounds awesome, Hendix next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:45 pm 

Fenderbender, great, great story, this is me, :mrgreen: , and with more than a little envy....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:26 pm 

whistlepig 59 wrote:
How do I find distributors. I want to do high end, mid, and vintage. I know how to get vintage. last night i got an electronics tech. the money i'm going to use is my inheretance. I dont care if the distrbutors are canadian or u.s.
I know that if i just sell its going to be hard if i dont do home theatre. i live a little bit from d.c. there is money here. there is a ski resort with very many houses that city people live in.
i want to try very bad.

I have seen many established audio stores - who had a solid client base - go under when the box stores moved in.

Compared to other world currencies, the US dollar is quite low right now, so importing audio equipment would be expensive.

I think Donald Trump made his fortune when he took his inheritance and bought realestate in NY City when the market was in a serious resession (1984 ?).

Take your inheritance and buy realestate (ie Ocean Front) now that the US housing market is suppressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:45 pm 

Fenderbender: I am a drummer, not a very good one, but we should get together sometime and jam. When you find out how bad I am, at least we can talk audio :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:11 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Great story Fenderbender, I did a similar thing with Vintage Synths up until about 2 years ago, the fun for me was getting them back into factory shape and then sampling them for my NoteMuseum project. The hard part was selling them again. I've been in China quite bit lately and the vintage instruments you can find there is pretty mind boggling, I can only hope it influences their music a bit more.

Regarding Trump. I laid out over 1k for a 2 day training session ( a keep the girlfriend happy thing) and there was lots of good common sense info.

The one thing that stuck in my mind and this applies to anyone contemplating opening a music/audio store; is that no matter how successful your business is, odds are that if you purchase a building (and rent out parts to cover your mortgage) the building will be worth a lot more than your business is in 10 to 20 years. The added bonus is that your bankser be very willing to extend you credit for new ventures as they arise.

Best,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:26 am 

Vintageman wrote:
Fenderbender: I am a drummer, not a very good one, but we should get together sometime and jam. When you find out how bad I am, at least we can talk audio :wink:

So long as you don't give up my location! Since i'm away a lot, I built a vault in the basement for the super valuable ones..... that's my friggin pension!