Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:17 pm 

i remember when i was a kid and i say look at that those people must be rich. my dad would say no son they just have good credit. I mean our interest rates are still low. unemployment is low. avg price of a 3 bedroom home is 250,000. avg income is 40,000 a yr.
i cant go ultra high end. ive got to get the people in the door. the only way i can compete is give them what others cant. so i am going good mid and some highend. 90 day same as cash. i will help set it up for free. i will pamper the customer. ill get to know them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:21 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Cool thread. I've just started distributing my own brand of high-end, low priced tube gear and this is the hardest job I have taken on. My partner is an MBA and she drives me nuts, because I know she is right, but the fun and my love of all things music is taking a big back seat to the business.

One bit of advise is to keep it cash and sub out the financing, or you might find you have become a banker. If you do set up your own financing I can think of no better example than what John Long did with Long and McQuade music.

Best,
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:25 pm 

what did they do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:34 am 

i just talked to parts express all i have to have is a business license. they have started selling tube gear also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:53 am 

has anyone heard of vitus audio?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 am 

whistlepig 59 wrote:
How do I find distributors. I want to do high end, mid, and vintage. I know how to get vintage. last night i got an electronics tech. the money i'm going to use is my inheretance. I dont care if the distrbutors are canadian or u.s.
I know that if i just sell its going to be hard if i dont do home theatre. i live a little bit from d.c. there is money here. there is a ski resort with very many houses that city people live in.
i want to try very bad.

Most manufacturerÂ’s will point you to the local importer/distributor for your region. You will likely find that these distributors handle a wide variety of different brands and some will already have local affiliations while others may look to only have exclusive dealership with their products.

It may pay to really compare different distributors price lists as some have dramatically more mark up on their product up than others, thus making it hard to sell. You should also look at buying structure and volume unit discounts. If yours is a small shop and a larger shop carrying 5 x the inventory gets an extra few points that can make it hard to compete.

Checking references does not hurt either; many distributors will talk the talk but some only carry very limited inventories themselves and backorders can be very costly; as can freight if only a few items are being shipped.

Good Luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 am 

it will be a small shop. vitus has a 12 week lag time. the speaker manu. has 1 week. he finishes each cabinet to order. parts express is a big dealer. i dealt with them when i built speakers. they carry a large selection. i also found a place called superior stereo. they sell everything below cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:28 am 

i mean superior hifi. its a good site. everyone should take a minute to look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:50 am 

whistlepig 59 wrote:
..i also found a place called superior stereo. they sell everything below cost.

if you sell everything below cost, how do you stay in business?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:27 pm 

samry wrote:
whistlepig 59 wrote:
..i also found a place called superior stereo. they sell everything below cost.

if you sell everything below cost, how do you stay in business?

VOLUME!

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:45 pm 

Correct me please if i am wrong. Is the 'R' word not being bandied about in the US ad nauseum?. This is really a pretty little pipe dream....'I've sold some shitey little old recievers now on Ebay, I have a 'tech' guy at my disposal (just jumping to be my b1tch because Im an audi demi-god, and Im gonna open up a store and sell all kinds of wonderful stuff'). I hope you're still posting here when you have a pack of rrroids and your best meal is KD swiped from a dollar store. this has to be the biggest hoax thread perpetrated here this week. Thanks for the memories WhistleyPig. Sorry, I'm not buying this horseshite....you supreme BSer. Caugh up and say who you really are. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:52 am 

well i guess its my pipe dream. if you are talking of a recession its not here. i dont know who you are. i'.m not playing a game. it's my money i'll lose. i've sold on ebay for almost a year. shitty recievers. no not only. i buy what i can afford. then i sell. i built and sold speakers about 5 years ago. its a tough market. im not dillusional. pull up my nic and you will see who i am. is it jealousy that i have the cajones to try this or what for you to say what you said in your post. i am who i am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 am 

my business license is 40.00. i checked today. the apprasil of my mothers estate came today also. right now im the richest poor man i know. i buy what i think i can make a profit on. i will be taking your advice to start small and keep my head above water. im disabled so yes i have an income every month. its not much but we live. those cheapie recievers bring me money in. in my eyes there is nothing wrong in owning a reciever. i am building a customer base for vintage items. yes its on ebay. i give them a good product for a good price. nothing wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:03 pm 

No Im not jealous Im just pragmatic and a bit of a prick.. I am self employed myself and have seen the lean start up years finally go by. You havent said how much youre getting or your budget, (I dont think). I would recommend putting it in good commercial real estate with tenants where you can house a starter op that's a small percentage of the space with room the expand if it happens.

JMHO and good luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Here is my somewhat biased opinion on starting an audio store:

http://grantfidelity.com/site/node/120

;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next