Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:19 am 

I used to run custom audio setups in my cars, but at present do not. CFRB tends to rule the roost in the commute anyway!

My fun car (1969 Thunderbird) has a 1 speaker mono AM "system".

I just drop the windows and leave it off once I know the traffic where I am headed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Personally, I believe you do "car stuff" in a car, such as driving it... This is not a place for critical listening! IMHO! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 am 

I wish... but my 240z doesn't even have a working stereo, it being over 40 years old :P Not that it matters much anyway, since the car has no soundproofing and a large 4inch exhaust running back from the header. It's a fine alternative to music though, it must be said!

I borrowed a friends 2012 Audi A4 awhile back though, and it had a pretty terrific sounding system as stock. My works Toyota Prius has a pretty substandard system though, very harsh highs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:45 am 

My car comes with a Harmon Kardon Logic7 system built in and sounds OK. Systems are too integrated in cars nowadays to easily replace without messing up functionality or causing problems in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 am 
Premium User

mortron wrote:
I got Bose...

...and im content.

Serious.

I found contentment with Bose as well in the Infiniti J-30 but I liked the dashboard clock better! There was no contentment when my ex dragged my into a Bose store during a US holiday. I could not get out of that store fast enough and waited for her until she came out.
I also could not get out of the Porsche at the last TAVES quick enough as well. Nothing I did to that unit could make it listenable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:41 am 

hfisher3380 wrote:
Car audio just doesn't do much for me. Too much other stuff going on - you know, driving, street noise, honking etc. I mean I enjoy good sound quality in the car but no serious listening goes on there. No matter how good a car audio system is it can't transport me the way high quality home audio can.

Like marc mc, I often end up listening to talk radio in the car.

+2

3 vehicles in household all stock:
'94 Chevy truck am/fm radio
'02 Honda Odyssey am/fm/cd
'57 Chevy convt. tube am radio

When driving in town 90% talk & all news

Attachments:
2777[1].jpg
2777[1].jpg [ 158.93 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:48 am 

VW, Technology Package which is available on some of their models is Dynaudio and is absolutely the best OEM system I have ever heard, highly recommended that option box be checked off when buying a new VW!

TC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 am 

In 1977, I bought a new Honda Civic for $2,200. I then proceeded to put a $2,500 stereo into it!

That stereo was stolen three times (thank god for AutoPac!) before I traded the car in for a motorcycle.

Now, I'm satisfied with the stock system that came with my Volvo S80 (Dynaudio, which is pretty good in its own right).

But 80% of my listening while driving is CBC 1, and like others, I prefer to focus on driving the car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:08 am 

I could care less about the quality of my car stereo. Ironically, I spend about 2 and a half hours a day in my car driving 1000km a week. But, I rather spend the money on a good system at home, where I can sit back and relax and pay attention to the details. When Im driving I don't really like distractions or loud music.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am 

2007 Mustang with Ford Racing exhaust is music enough for me :)

Attachments:
DSC01380.JPG
DSC01380.JPG [ 260.83 KiB | Viewed 2269 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

I think the exhaust note of the M88/3 engine is better music than any sound system i could install:

On the left is a 1984 BMW M635CSi and on the right is a very rare 1986 BMW M5.

That said, I do like to have some music on long drives, and I'd rather not listen to crap, so a/d/s/ amps and speakers for both and Nakamichi TD1200 deck for the M5 and Becker Mexico for the M635. The cassette decks are the main reason I still have a cassette player for my main stereo (Nak RX-505), though the cars and Nak deck are in storage at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:12 pm 

leeph wrote:
hfisher3380 wrote:
Car audio just doesn't do much for me. Too much other stuff going on - you know, driving, street noise, honking etc. I mean I enjoy good sound quality in the car but no serious listening goes on there. No matter how good a car audio system is it can't transport me the way high quality home audio can.

Like marc mc, I often end up listening to talk radio in the car.

+2

3 vehicles in household all stock:
'94 Chevy truck am/fm radio
'02 Honda Odyssey am/fm/cd
'57 Chevy convt. tube am radio

When driving in town 90% talk & all news

Nice, let's see the rest of that classic car please!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:32 pm 

I have a Bose "system" in one car and I don't really care. It's a convertible and any system in there would be drowned out by road noise ... or more importantly by wind noise or the whine of the supercharger! Our other cars have the factory stereos as well.

Three times being broken into in the past put an end to my interest in putting anything half decent into a car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

Here's a pic of the old T Bird.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:34 pm 

Car Audio matters to me, but living in Winnipeg it must look stock. So I've never had the nerve to install an aftermarket system for fear it would be ripped out. (Yes, I know insurance would cover it but the hassle of insurance, repairs, time without, etc is not worth it for me.)

That being said, I was very curious of the JL Audio CleanSweep options, leaving everything else stock. I sold my car before implementation though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next