Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:30 pm 

It comes as a surprise to read that the oval shape of a 6 x 9 represents a compromise. It was my understanding that the shape distributes the cone resonances, which helps reduce standing waves in the cone. It also allows for the acoustical output of an 8" with the dispersion characteristic of a 6".

I recall hearing Jensen Triax with Fosgate Punch a while back and was quite impressed. It seems to me the reputation of 6 x 9's is tarnished by the vast number of cheap ones in wide use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:22 pm 

What vehicle was it installed in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:40 pm 

the primary compromise is that it is exceptionally difficult to distribute the stresses applied by the surround evenly over the surface of the cone as it goes though its range of motion. Bottomline is that the cone distorts.

I've heard some pretty fine 6x9's myself but it is not the best choice for a speaker cone.

Most of the 6x9's are coax's or triax's and thats not really optimum either. It is not that big a cone are to be placing a large obstruction in the front of it.

Car stereo's (when compared to even a half arsed decent home system) completely suc'd till just a few years ago. The first commercial car amp was only brought to market in like 1982 or 3. The only way I could built a good system in the early 80's was bi-amping or tri-amp and using home drivers.

A lot changed in a very short time although they still mostly suc compared to a home sys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:36 pm 

unityaudio wrote:
What vehicle was it installed in?

Mid 70's Chevy Nova. The stereo was loud enough to drown out the exhaust, but I recall the tight punch the system put into my backside - quite memorable.

I don't doubt that car audio has come a long way since then, just that given the environment it would be difficult to tell the difference between a quality round driver and a similarly equiped 6 x 9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 pm 

Given the environment, agreed :wink:

There are many fine 6X9's on th emarket today, some are even high priced and well made - however, in that range, many SQ enthusiasts would rather go with a 2 way or even 3 way component set and custom mount them in place of the factory 6X9 cutout.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 am 

ripblade wrote:
I don't doubt that car audio has come a long way since then, just that given the environment it would be difficult to tell the difference between a quality round driver and a similarly equiped 6 x 9.

placed in the rear deck I would agree. It really doesn't matter to much how good the drivers are when they are placed in a bad location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 am 

I got looked at by a salesman as if I had nine heads when I said I didn't want any rear fill in my last car.
Just gimme a component set up front, subs in the back, a good clean amp or 2 with a power cap, 4 awg cabling, and a REALLY good head unit.

Rock on. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 pm 

unityaudio wrote:
I got looked at by a salesman as if I had nine heads when I said I didn't want any rear fill in my last car.
Just gimme a component set up front, subs in the back, a good clean amp or 2 with a power cap, 4 awg cabling, and a REALLY good head unit.

Rock on. 8)

yep, you just described my setup in my bus. In my opinion it is by far the best way to go.

I went ot a specialty audio shop a while back and told the guy I wanted a stand alone processor with electronic x-over and at least a small parametric eq section. He told me they didn't make them any more. I listed off the 3 brands that I was considering and he told me nobody used it and to jut upgrade my head unit.

Week prior I went into another audio shop to buy a car alarm and was told they couldn't legally sell them over the counter because I wasn't a licensed mechanic. I went else where and bought one.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 am 

unityaudio wrote:
Given the environment, agreed :wink:

however, in that range, many SQ enthusiasts would rather go with a 2 way or even 3 way component set and custom mount them in place of the factory 6X9 cutout.....

But how would any SQ enthusiast hear the difference over his street hemi rumbling through his glass-packs or Thrush mufflers anyway?

unityaudio wrote:
There are many fine 6X9's on th emarket today, some are even high priced and well made....

So who makes the best 6X9s these days? Pioneer, Craig, Alpine? I seem to recall seeing some at Canadian Tire that had small tweeters suspended out above the 6X9 cones.

:?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 am 

Used to mount razor blades to the back of the head unit.