Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24 pm 

I would of taken that deal as well the Onkyo will be fine
I believe that integra to be a bit higher uP then 3310

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm 

As I started reading your post I was getting ready to say sorry for your troubles, but at least you got something that works in return. I would be happy in your shoes, especially in light of the fact that Denon seems to have washed their hands of it and this was done entirely at the discretion of your dealer. I've owned a few Denon things in the past and been happy with them, but this instance of so-called customer service will definitely give me pause if I ever consider their products in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:15 pm 

ITs all about customer service in this info-overloaded world. Issues happen, lemons happen. The important thing is how a manufacturer deals with it and how quickly it is dealt with. If you cant provide fair customer service in this internet-mobile gadget connect world you will only hamper sales.

Denon ( and others : insert names here) Wake-up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm 

Let's hope Onkyo's customer service is better than Denon's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:02 pm 

tardis26 wrote:
Let's hope Onkyo's customer service is better than Denon's.

It is !!!!! As I posted before I had a similar nightmare with Denon on a hi end HT receiver with similar results as the op. I traded it full value with the dealer for the Top of the line Integra.
Had an issue with it a year later and the Dealer sent to All in One and I got it back 5 days later and never had an issue with it again. Instead of pissing around and fixing a couple bits on the amp board he replaced the whole amp board and got Onkyo to cover it all under warranty.
No charge.
Now that's the service that keeps customers. Not knocking any products themselves as things break but it is what the company does when they do that defines them.
Surge protection and power filtration , I guess they haven't come up with any new excuses or they maybe recycling the old ones again.
I'm betting you will like the Onk better anyways.
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:09 pm 

My mis-adventures with the Denon illustrate the difference between big box stores and the smaller dealer. When the chips were down and Denon left me twisting in the wind my dealer didn't toss in the towel. They worked out a solution. I can't imagine FS or BB going to the lenghts London Audio and saleman/audio consultant Paul M. did in order to salvage this deal.
This is why I shop there, they care.
If i have violated any policy in naming the store I apologise but I feel they deserve the praise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:32 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
My mis-adventures with the Denon illustrate the difference between big box stores and the smaller dealer. When the chips were down and Denon left me twisting in the wind my dealer didn't toss in the towel. They worked out a solution. I can't imagine FS or BB going to the lenghts London Audio and saleman/audio consultant Paul M. did in order to salvage this deal.
This is why I shop there, they care.
If i have violated any policy in naming the store I apologise but I feel they deserve the praise.

No...thanks for naming the store Mahatma. They deserve the praise. Good on them for keeping you as a customer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:31 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
I hot foot it to my dealer to pick up the receiver. I ask if Denon had anything to say. The sales guy goes quiet. I told him now I'm nervous. The sales guy says Denon believes it is the fault of the Rogers cable box. According to them The cable boxes are fu*king up and sending a pulse that destroys the Denon HDMI section. He also tells me that Denon has washed their hands of any further repairs of the unit. If I have a problem I can take it up with Rogers and they will not have ANYTHING to do with the unit from here out.
Denon also blamed me for not using a surge protector with a cable in/out.
I pointed out to the dealer that I used an APC H 10 with the cable routed through it. I also commented that was a totally idiotic thing for Denon to say. Its like demanding that anyone purchasing a Denon also has to buy a Panamax or APC unit to protect its fragile innards.
I said I don't want the Denon, they can keep it. The sales guy laughed. I wasn't smiling. I said "See you later" and got up to leave. The sales guy cut me off at the door and said he talk to one of the owners and see what he could do.
I watched the instore movie for twenty minutes when he hit me with the alternative.
An even swap for an Onkyo Integra 40.1. Full warranty. It was the store demo. Long story short, I took the deal. I have no idea wether or not it was a good deal or not but please let me know what you think. I'll let you know how I get on with the Onkyo.

Well played Mauer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:04 am 

I took the Onkyo home and immediatly I realised I had made a serious error. I forgot to ask the dealer to set it up.
I called to make an appointment but this being the busy season I was SOL unless there was a cancellation. They reassured me I could do this.
Onkyo's owners manual while not as mind numbing as Denon is very obtuse. I got through it. Audysessy set up took several attempts. When the A/C kicked on I got an "Ambient noise level too high" message, it also refused to recognise that I was using a CC. re-arranging the furniture a bit solved that.
Then I only had my front speakers active. Turns out you have to go into the menu and select preferences for TV, Blu-Ray,Sat/Cable. Thats working good now. The remote is very crowded but is not too difficult to use after a little while, it also looks to be easy to program (although I haven't tried it yet).
Sound quality, can't tell the difference between it and the Denon.
In actual use the major features on the Onkyo are easier to get at, than the Denon.
So far the only negative is the damn manual. You really need it for cetain things and as I said its not exactly user friendly or written in any known language.
To everyone that offered their support or opinion my sincere thanks. I have a new AVR and a slightly greater drinking problem than I did when all this started (in my books thats a plus :lol: :lol: ).
Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:34 am 

There is the self-help menu, which contains an impossible to use lambrynth of bullshite of use to absolutely no-one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 am 

yournamehere wrote:
There is the self-help menu, which contains an impossible to use lambrynth of bullshite of use to absolutely no-one...

Fantastic James...fantastic. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 am 

This thread has been quite the read! Reminds me of the first DTS receiver that I bought, an H/K AVR65. AS good as it sounded, it spend most of the warranty time in the shop, and then twice more out of warranty and out of pocket :(
Recently put together a budget system consisting of an Onkyo 309 and am really happy with the results. Considered a Denon, but the new Onkyo was less expensive.
Agree on the dealer comments - it's the smaller dealer that'll help you out, the big box stores couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 pm 

nedrudrelyt wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

Fantastic James...fantastic. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:11 pm 

Well the saga continues. Tonight we had a heavy storm. After my fun with the Denon I am more than a little paranoid.
I got up to unplug things and there I was, in the dark.
The power was out for about an hour.
When things came back on I held my breath and fired everything up and it all worked.
The storm had moved off but there was still the odd flash of lightning in the distance (you know where this is going).
There was a flash and then no picture. The cable box was still on but I had no picture.
You can't begin to imagine how pissed off I am.
I have tried everything known to man to protect the A/V receiver and cable box and still it F*&ks up.
What more can I do?
My audio system works fine, my TV works fine, cable box component hook up working fine.
HDMI-NOT A DAMN THING :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
A/V receiver-not sure at this point.
First thing tomorrow its over to the Rogers store for yet another box. Then I hope to hell the Onkyo is ok, but I'm doubtful.
Am I just very unlucky or is there something else at play here. I feel like crying. I shouldn't have to check the weather before I tuirn on my receiver, this is way beyond ridiculous. Maybe the subject should have been I'm done with A/V.
And I'm out of beer and working midnights for the next two weeks. FUN? WOW!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 pm 

Mahatma, the only word that come to mind is ....... F#Ç%!!! which I once shouted out during a conference call when my ceiling caved in during a torrential downpour. I feel your grief man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next