Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm 

I'm at my wits' end with this. I'm trying to figure out how to output native audio from the Opposite so my Anthem MRX700 can decode it, but the Anthem reads the input as PCM 2.0. Is that two-channel, or does the 2.0 mean something else? I can only get surround sound by using one of the Anthem's presets to change 2.0 audio to one of the "Cinema" output settings.

I've set the Oppo according to the manual and advanced setup documents on line, note there seems to be two manual versions (one labeled 970H and one 970HD), with some differences, both from the Oppo site. The manual suggests setting HDMI to "SPDIF" and SPDIF output to Raw, which I've set, but it also says if the receiver supports HDMI 1.1 multi channel PCM set HDMI to "multi-channel" which is not an available option. The Anthem supports HDMI 1.3.

Anyone have this player and have it set up for native 5.1 from DVDs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:49 pm 

Old_School wrote:
I'm at my wits' end with this. I'm trying to figure out how to output native audio from the Opposite so my Anthem MRX700 can decode it, but the Anthem reads the input as PCM 2.0. Is that two-channel, or does the 2.0 mean something else? I can only get surround sound by using one of the Anthem's presets to change 2.0 audio to one of the "Cinema" output settings.

I've set the Oppo according to the manual and advanced setup documents on line, note there seems to be two manual versions (one labeled 970H and one 970HD), with some differences, both from the Oppo site. The manual suggests setting HDMI to "SPDIF" and SPDIF output to Raw, which I've set, but it also says if the receiver supports HDMI 1.1 multi channel PCM set HDMI to "multi-channel" which is not an available option. The Anthem supports HDMI 1.3.

Anyone have this player and have it set up for native 5.1 from DVDs?

I hope I've got a solution for you...

I have the Oppo DV-980H. I believe it's the generation right after the 970.

Anyhow I've downloaded the 970's manual and compared it to the 980's.

Now with the 980 there's all sorts of mention about passing everything via HDMI - audio and video. Whereas, as far as I can tell, with the 970 the HDMI looks to be all about passing only video to a TV - and then with a DVI adapter. There's nothing in the 970's manual about sending audio from the player via HDMI.

My suspicion is that you will only be able to pass "native" audio (5.1) in digital form from the 970 to your Anthem via coaxial or optical connections. It can't do it via HDMI.

Setting the SPDIF Output to "RAW" is required - as you describe above.

So I'd make a coax or optical connection and give it a try.

Hope that helps / works.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

Thanks Jeff, I'll try that. You'd think it would pass something other than PCM 2.0 through HDMI though, given the whole reason for HDMI connections in the first place.

At least the Anthem has the flexibility to set the audio input separately from the video, so we can see if that'll work.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 pm 

Then again, I could be wrong...

I've been doing some further digging and came across this 2007 Stereophile article on the 970HD https://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/507oppo/index.html.

From it I note:

The DV-970HD outputs high-resolution multichannel digital audio through its HDMI connection, as well as 96kHz PCM through its S/PDIF. It converts DSD to 24-bit/88.2kHz PCM before outputting it through the HDMI jack, so, assuming you aren't bothered by the thought of that conversion, you can enjoy SACDs through your HDMI DAC of choice.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:24 pm 

Hmm. I still haven't had a chance to try SPDIF or optical (probably tomorrow), but that is food for thought. As it's not going to be a primarily music listening system I'm not too worried about the conversion, but I would like to figure out why the Anthem thinks the input is PCM 2.0 when it shouldn't be. Maybe it's a receiver setting I've got wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm 

I tried the optical output and no sound at all. I've checked that it has the most up to date firmware installed (it does), and set the settings as per the manual for HDMI to an AVR. I get surround, but it's the AVR's processor creating it from 2.0 PCM by the look of it.

Maybe I should see if Oppo will even reply to a query about a machine discontinued about 10 years ago?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

Reviewed all of the documentation I could find, and searched multiple forums. As best as I can figure, with the SPDIF setting on RAW it should be outputting whatever multi channel info is on the disc, but it seems to be only outputting PCM 2.0. Since the optical connection (I should also try the RCA SPDIF out) doesn't seem to output sound, I wonder if there's a fault in the machine?

I've emailed Oppo support, so we'll see what they say.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 pm 

I have to say I'm impressed with Oppo customer support. They got back to me within 15 minutes, and over 3 hours exchanged emails. Not the best way to troubleshoot, but actually better for me since I was trying to do other stuff tonight as well.

In any case, I got sound through the coax SPDIF, but still 2.0 PCM. The optical output seems to be duff. The poor old girl may just be ready for the glue factory.