Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm 

Hi, the type of UPS mentioned by Teo Audio is called a "Line Interactive" UPS. Although most have a sine wave output it is always wise to confirm that the UPS being considered has a sine wave output.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:02 pm 

stop using the hdmi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 am 

Got one of these. Seems quiet enough from my listening position (set on low speed).

Attachments:
61YhqqovKjL._SL1000_.jpg
61YhqqovKjL._SL1000_.jpg [ 118.27 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am 

I bought a "b" stock denon avr-s920w from gibby's electronics at the end of March to use in a little 3.2 system at work and it just bricked itself. Dropped it off for repairs this morning, we'll see how it goes.
Never had one die on me before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am 

willybilson wrote:
I bought a "b" stock denon avr-s920w from gibby's electronics at the end of March to use in a little 3.2 system at work and it just bricked itself. Dropped it off for repairs this morning, we'll see how it goes.
Never had one die on me before.

Good luck. Hope the warranty is still in effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

tuna007 wrote:
stop using the hdmi

On the vast majority of them the HDMI is tied to the daily operation of the unit and if there is a fault in the HDMI, the unit bricks itself. All of the self check circuitry, software, etc, is on the same board as the HDMI, in all of the units I've seen the tech manuals for..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:38 pm 

Use non hdmi amplification and separate hdmi switcher if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm 
Premium User

Boy you lads in Ontario sure have your share of electrical & HDMI issues! I haven't heard anyone in my area that's been plagued with these kind of issues. Is it the grid screwing things up?

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:57 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
Boy you lads in Ontario sure have your share of electrical & HDMI issues! I haven't heard anyone in my area that's been plagued with these kind of issues. Is it the grid screwing things up?

I was going to post the exact same thing. My juice here in the desert is primo, but out in Ontario it seems maybe not.
:?:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:40 pm 

Old Rusty wrote:
shawnwes wrote:

I was going to post the exact same thing. My juice here in the desert is primo, but out in Ontario it seems maybe not.
:?:

We do have a lot of power issues in this area. Some weather related, we're prone to lightning, and an antiquated grid.
We have frequent power "blinks". Outages short enough that you may have to reset the microwave clock (my Bryston gear just goes "click" and goes back to it's ready state) or the Rogers box.
In addition we have the CAMI auto plant less than three kms. away and a hospital less than a km away.
I think it puts significant strain on the grid but our local utility says everything is just ducky (really didn't expect them to say different).
There is also a possibility that I'm cursed (can't rule it out) by A/V gear. Everything else in the house works fine with no power related issues (Rogers boxes can be "touchy").
I'm not driving the equipment hard, I've added several layers of protection yet they fail.I wish I knew for sure what the hell is happening.
Things I do know for sure, HDMI is a farce. Fragile beyond belief. Onkyo and Denon are the two worst A/V companies on the planet.
Credit where it's due, Marantz did repair my NR 1403 at no cost.
So why use HDMI?
Well there's codecs available only through HDMI, ease of set up and that's the way the manufacturers want you to do it.
99.9% of people that buy an A/V receiver do nothing other than hook up multiple speakers a sub or two and a few HDMI cables.
They don't piss around with "exotic" cables, fans, surge protectors or anything beyond the most basic hook up.
Why mine has repeated failures? A question I can't answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 am 

The continuing adventures of...
As I mentioned before I got my receiver repaired and added a fan as 'extra' insurance.
Things went along ok until last Wednesday or Thursday.
The TV had repeated "blinks". A momentary flicker lasting just a second. The audio would drop out and the screen would get a sort of static picture. If you weren't watching closely it was easy to miss. Problem was it was happening a lot.
I waited for a while before I checked further into the problem. We had had a series of storms blow through the area so I thought maybe it was weather related. The weather changed but the problem persisted.
I decided to check the cables to make sure they were properly seated. No problem there.
I checked the STB. No problem.
I did unplug the fan, which I had plugged into the outlet on the STB.
Since I was planning to plug the fan in elsewhere, I left it unplugged.
I turned on the TV and no more "blinks".
Perfect,stable picture. The damn fan was causing the problem.
I plugged the fan into an APC surge protector and it isn't causing any more problems, at least for now. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 am 

I can't say if this is related to my receiver (knock on wood-it's still working) but it goes to the theory that I'm experiencing some kind of electrical gremlins.
A while back our town installed smart water meters in all homes. After a few months the town calls and says they need to check the meter. They check and find its not working. They replace the meter and the transmitter.
I asked how that happens and the guy says "gremlins". Everything is tested and working ok.
Three days ago I receive a notice from the town saying the meter isn't working and they want to replace it. This will be meter number three.
They tell me this is very unusual. It is a major P.I.T.A
I'm leaning heavily towards an exorcism,for the house, I could probably use a little one my self though. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 am 

shawnwes wrote:

This ^^^^^

I used to work for an electrical transmission utility here in Alberta and know for a fact that in certain areas transients were causing momentary outages and damage to electronics. In one particular instance, multiple claims were simultaneously made against the utility for damages and they were reimbursed for their losses. The event was relatively simple to prove and it also just happened to occur during the Olympic gold medal hockey game - that's why it sticks out in my memory and likely why so many complaints were made.

A fair chuck of money was put into resolving the issue* (including installation of multiple static VAR compensators).

Long story short, I think shawnwes might not be far off the mark and I wouldn't dismiss this as being an electrical transmission/distribution issue.

For what it's worth, I've been running a Denon AVR for the past 6 years (a Costco special) without issue <knock on wood> with all HDMI ports occupied and used regularly.

* Hopefully it's obvious they didn't throw all this money into infrastructure just because some consumers had damage to their televisions, there were other things going on that justified the work. The event, and ultimate damages, in the example above acted more as a canary in a coal mine for those in the general public who were affected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:15 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
As the subject line says another A/V receiver has died on me. More accurately the HDMI board has died yet again.
This morning I had audio but no video. After futzing around I verified that it was the receiver (Marantz NR 1403) that has screwed up.
In no particular order I have had the following A/V units fail:
Denon 3310 (the worst of the worst, abysmal non existant service) multiple HDMI failures. Denon washed their hands of it.
Onkyo Integra DTR 40.2 - multiple HDMI board failures. Slowest and most inept repairs ever.
Sony (don't know model) lasted about 2 weeks. HDMI board failure. They wanted more than the unit was worth to repair it.
Yamaha- HDMI failure, got incredibly hot and shut down constantly. Repairs cost more than the unit. I gave it away to my nieces kid. It failed totally two weeks later.
Marantz NR 1403- multiple HDMI failures, including the most recent one that makes three.
These units failed despite taking all kinds of measures to protect them from power surges,heat etc. (APC H10, Yalu Balula, fans, in line cable surge arrestors etc.).
And here we are again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Are you happy that your HT room is known to be the HTR graveyard? Perhaps it's time to spend more money on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm 

tube54 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
As the subject line says another A/V receiver has died on me. More accurately the HDMI board has died yet again.
This morning I had audio but no video. After futzing around I verified that it was the receiver (Marantz NR 1403) that has screwed up.
In no particular order I have had the following A/V units fail:
Denon 3310 (the worst of the worst, abysmal non existant service) multiple HDMI failures. Denon washed their hands of it.
Onkyo Integra DTR 40.2 - multiple HDMI board failures. Slowest and most inept repairs ever.
Sony (don't know model) lasted about 2 weeks. HDMI board failure. They wanted more than the unit was worth to repair it.
Yamaha- HDMI failure, got incredibly hot and shut down constantly. Repairs cost more than the unit. I gave it away to my nieces kid. It failed totally two weeks later.
Marantz NR 1403- multiple HDMI failures, including the most recent one that makes three.
These units failed despite taking all kinds of measures to protect them from power surges,heat etc. (APC H10, Yalu Balula, fans, in line cable surge arrestors etc.).
And here we are again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Are you happy that your HT room is known to be the HTR graveyard? Perhaps it's time to spend more money on them.

Happy isn't the first word that comes to mind. As for spending more money on them, there is no guarantee that spending more solves anything. If I hit the Lotto, sure I'd do things a bit differently.
The Denon and the Onkyo weren't exactly cheap (over a grand each) and they failed.
The Marantz is a different story. It is as basic a unit as you can buy. It's working just fine (after it's repair).
Truth be told I could get along without a H/T system but I happen to enjoy the effects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next