Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 am 
Premium User

bigcam406 wrote:
I attended last year, big crowds, terrible parking, couldn't move inside. people with tunnel vision barging their way through the venue. wasn't a pleasant experience. and what I did see was way overpriced for the condition it was in.

Forgot you were in a much larger market than me so I'm sure that makes a big difference in both the amount of vinyl and the crowds.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 am 

bigcam406 wrote:
I attended last year, big crowds, terrible parking, couldn't move inside. people with tunnel vision barging their way through the venue. wasn't a pleasant experience. and what I did see was way overpriced for the condition it was in.

Agreed, I was there at the fall show and I won't be going back. Way too busy for my taste. That's not to say you can't find anything, if you can make you way through the bins. I only ended up getting a couple of SACD's that I'd been looking for. I'd been going there for the past 5-6 years. I guess that's the price of the popularity of vinyl now. Maybe I'll try the one in Newmarket in April.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

I think this is the same show put on by the same people as last weekend in St. Catherines that I went to. They do 2-3 shows every year here and it is always the same vendors. I've learned from previous shows that:
1 - I hate the crowds as mentioned. People pushing and shoving.
2 - How are you supposed to look at a used record (take it out of the outer sleeve then the inner sleeve and get it up to
to the light to get a good look at it when someone is jammed up against you looking in the bin beside you) plus
there is someone behind you waiting to look through the bin you are at.
3 - Most of the pricing is way too high especially for the quality of their records.
4 - Their grading is way off (at least to me). They're NM is only VG by my scrutiny. I've never been able to buy a NM LP
yet.

After all this here is what I do:

I pay an extra $25 to get into the show early. The show starts at 10:30 a.m. but you can get in at 9 a.m. if you pay the extra. There are maybe 20-25 people in early and you can take your time and look through calmly and quietly. I usually buy new records as there are a few dealers selling new. You save the tax plus usually at least $5 more per lp. Last weekend I bought new - Beatles Mono White, Rubber Soul Mono, MMT Mono, Beatles White Stereo, 2 new Band reissues and the latest two Van Morrison LP's each for $10 - $15 cheaper than anywhere else including online. After going to a couple of these shows I've figured out which vendors to look through their stuff and which to avoid. I've only bought a few used LP's from them over the last few times I've went.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:12 pm 

Each show is hit and miss. As someone else pointed out, if your lucky, someone might be selling off their collection. This is what even the dealers look out for. For example one year Greg Godovitz from Godo was at the Newmarket show selling off his collection. Scored some great LP's from him, including Canned Heat's first. If you frequent the shows in Ontario you will see the same dealers. The ones you've never seen before are the ones to head for first. Move on if you spot Canadian AC/DC or common stuff for $20.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:30 pm 

So I ended up picking up two albums that I grew up listening to: Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA (NM - $5) and David Bowie - Let's Dance (NM - $7). They look clean and seem to play well so to me it was money well spent. Crowds weren't bad and people were polite. My kids think its "magic" how sound is coming from a "piece of plastic". The astonished look on their faces...priceless.

I must say I've never heard my tt sound so good before as the last time I used it was in the mid 80's and it was hooked up to my JVC (PC-11) boombox. There really is something quite satisfying about being able to relive this part of my past.