Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am 

So I just powered up the Moon DAC I bought second hand, and cold & out-of-the-box it sounds better than my Cambridge DacMagic. So far so good. (Damn it sounds nice !!)

It does have similar wussy looking power supply though. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party PS that would be a good match for the Moon, or am I simply worrying too much ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:27 am 

mforsy wrote:
So I just powered up the Moon DAC I bought second hand, and cold & out-of-the-box it sounds better than my Cambridge DacMagic. So far so good. (Damn it sounds nice !!)

It does have similar wussy looking power supply though. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party PS that would be a good match for the Moon, or am I simply worrying too much ?

There seems to be a growing market for linear power supplies for the many current production DACs that have small wall wart supplies ... S-Booster is one I have come across as an example (http://www.squeeze-upgrade.com/).

Good advice would be to get used to the DAC as is so as to have a good basis for comparison when trying a PS upgrade, but then you'd likely have to purchase the upgraded supply outright anyway so I guess that advice may be academic.

As for the supply you just have to find one that matches the voltage rating and polarity (correct - and + orientation on the connector), has enough juice (current rating - likely will with most any aftermarket supply but still need confirm) and off you go!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am 

I use a Boulder modified linear power supply for my squeezebox. It was a nice upgrade to the wall wart ps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am 

I have one too, I am sure it says in the Manual it comes with a "special" purpose built power supply, I'll check tonight. Oh, and I'm very impressed with it's sound!

Last edited by turbo400 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 am 

I have 2 100d's with original power supplies.
I have no problem with them whatsoever.
They sound incredible.

If it is not broke, Don't fix it :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 am 

Dan Santoni is good at whipping up custom power supplies.

I've always wondered how much of the sound difference between the original 300D and the 100D was due to the power supply. It did seem to be the major difference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:09 am 

Welborne Labs supplied one for my Arcam RDac. The linear PS really woke up my USB source and satellite TV/Music channels and they make one for your Moon 100D DAC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 am 

stinkey wrote:
Welborne Labs supplied one for my Arcam RDac. The linear PS really woke up my USB source and satellite TV/Music channels and they make one for your Moon 100D DAC.

I heard that Welborne could be a pain to deal with. What was your experience like?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am 

The 100D needs 18V DC from its outboard power supply. There is probably a worthwhile gain in sound quality to be had by upgrading the stock wall wart, but the upgrade should be serious and a serious linear ( generally the best-sounding ) 18V supply ( with the right connector ) can be hard to find.

Some very serious power supplies are made by Acopian.

If you do buy a PS from them ( check out their Gold Box supplies ), you will need to make your own DC cable ( and try cryoing it ) to connect the supply to the DAC. Or you could find someone to make it for you. A third option is to sacrifice the wall wart and use its cable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm 

Esto..... Service was very good. The original cords plug for the RDac was a little loose. They promptly shipped another one with a little larger connector, with their apologies. A good linear power supply is worth it over a wall wart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:42 am 

For those interested I just purchased a linear power supply off eBay, for my moon 100 D.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251551198778

I will post my reports on the increase and sound quality. I was using an 18 V battery supply and noticed a substantial increase and sound quality. So I know there is gains to be had, it's just a question of how much of an improvement this linear power supply will be over the wall wart.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:33 am 

Thanks so much for the info. I have had my Moon 100D for about 2 years now and am using it with a Stello U3, ifi usb power, SOTM SMS 100 music server and all Cardas cables. It does sound very good, but I too wonder just how much better it would sound with a good external power supply. I checked out the ebay link provided and the power supply sure looks good and the price is great. I am ready to buy if you give it a positive review. Please let me know what you think of it as soon as you can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 am 

re_curly81 wrote:
For those interested I just purchased a linear power supply off eBay, for my moon 100 D.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251551198778

I will post my reports on the increase and sound quality. I was using an 18 V battery supply and noticed a substantial increase and sound quality. So I know there is gains to be had, it's just a question of how much of an improvement this linear power supply will be over the wall wart.

nice find! Been waiting to try something like this on my 100D for a year or so.

Let us know how it works out for you.

BTW, did you order it with a customized fixed voltage?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:14 am 

Yes, I had to specify 110/18v at 1amp
I will likely add a 1amp fast blow fuse to the DC cable because the internal moon dac fuse is 400ma, and soldered to the board, which I've blown before.

Last edited by re_curly81 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am 

@re_curly81, great ! I'll be looking forward to reading about it here. :D

re_curly81 wrote:
I will post my reports on the increase and sound quality... it's just a question of how much of an improvement this linear power supply will be over the wall wart.