Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Gutwire Ultimate Ground
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:29 am 

I recently read about the Gutwire ultimate ground cable on the Audiogon forums. I then read the 6 moons review and the audio bacon review as well. This cable comes terminated with a locking rca or xlr and goes to an unused input to ground the circuit board.

I already had a coditioners on my system, an audience adept response for components and two foundation research LC 1's powercord/ conditioner going from the adept response to my Martin Logans.

The audiogon members as well as the 6 moons and audio bacon all mentioned a considerable lowering of the noise floor, better resoulution, better detail etc and being able to hear subtle details that were previously unheard.

Being of open mind I decided to try one and ordered from Arcadia Audio. The cable comes well packaged and has a serial number. There is also a Gutwire perfect ground which is less expensive than the ultimate.

You plug this cable into a wall outlet and only the ground is on. I inserted the locking rca connector into an unused rca input on my Simaudio P7 pre. I played an lp and noticed from the get go a big lowering of the noise floor. Sorry for the audiophile descriptions but this is how it was. I was shocked since I considered everything sounded excellent before the insertion of the Ultimate ground cable.

You will hear details previously masked, better resolution, better soundstage etc. I was listening the mobile fidelity 1st Cars album last night and was hearing more detail and things previously unheard, simply amazing.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this on in case someone had not heard of these two cords. I was so impressed with the results that my next upgrade will be buying another for my phono pre. The ultimate ground is quite large in girth so you need a little room being your equipment. The perfect ground is smaller in girth and a has a bit more flexibility.

If you keep an open mind here and actually try one of these cords you will not regret it. These cables are very affordable for the great sonic results they produce. This is one of the best upgrades I have made . The ultimate is $499.00 and the perfect ground is cheaper price wise.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:58 am 

This product is going to hurt somebody.

G

Attachments:
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 262.44 KiB | Viewed 1032 times ]
Screenshot-2018-3-3 EST016_Ground_Loops_handout pdf.png
Screenshot-2018-3-3 EST016_Ground_Loops_handout pdf.png [ 409.33 KiB | Viewed 1032 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:02 am 

Only the ground is hooked up, no current running through the cable. You may want to actually read about it before making unsubstanciated hoax claims. Pretty hard to get electrocuted from a ground wire.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 am 

:D I do believe that noise is our number one enemy in system playback. So much has changed since the 50's and 60's. There is noise and interference never thought of or even known . But first you have to experience the lowering of noise on the playback before it becomes clear how much we don't even know or realize. I remain open minded about this with my own system. Still learning and not always able to explain but I can hear when noise is lowered. Our systems are much better than we even realize when the noise is lowered. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:09 am 

MOON wrote:
Only the ground is hooked up, no current running through the cable. You may want to actually read about it before making unsubstanciated hoax claims. Pretty hard to get electrocuted from a ground wire.

MOON,

Just a bad idea.Gives a certain impression when an AC plug is on the end.All it takes is one wrong screw terminal.
Earth,chassis,ground is all about current.Earthing all willy nilly? Not good.

G

never said it was a hoax.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 am 

Isn’t the circuit board already grounded?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:30 am 

Must agree with sasquatch . You would be better off to have a dedicated circuit with the ground going right back to the box, eliminating the need for this misleading cable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 am 

Tried one of these Gutwire ground cables in my system and it made no discernable difference - at least not a positive one...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:40 am 

Moon which audience adept response conditioner do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:43 am 

It scares the crap out of me ... and I have done some very stupid things with electricity. :oops:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 am 

. The conditioner I have is the Audience Adept response AR 12.

hfisher,
Did you try the percent or the ultimate ground and what specific component did you run it to. One very important thing is the Ultimate or perfect ground can not be plugged into the same outlet your system is plugged into and also can't be plugged into any power conditioner.

-- 03 Mar 2018 14:51 --

Last edited by MOON on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 am 

Why does the ground on the power cord not accomplish the same thing?

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 am 

This would appear to be an easy DIY project. I would assume the trick would be to use a cable with the lowest impedance possible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
Why does the ground on the power cord not accomplish the same thing?

Regards
Ohms
Because it doesn't ground the circuit board.

-- 03 Mar 2018 14:59 --

brf wrote:
This would appear to be an easy DIY project. I would assume the trick would be to use a cable with the lowest impedance possible.

Yes you can DIY it. On a side note, brf you have been missed on the VPI forums.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 am 

Isn't this just a method of shunting common mode noise to ground. My amp and dac circuits are both grounded, (not just the chassis ) so this is all ready being done. If I had an expensive amp where the designer had chosen to float the ground, I would be reluctant to change that.

Despite the three prong plug on some, most SM DC power supplies are not grounded. Running a shunt to ground on the negative side can make a difference. (Did for me). But It doesn't take much money or talent.

Attachments:
IMG_5199 25%.jpg
IMG_5199 25%.jpg [ 238.64 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]