Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Power cords, and sound
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:48 am 

I have a fairly inexpensive power cords for my moon int amp and moon CD player. I bought two Audience power Chords and find that in the quest for a neutral sound I am losing the highs and presence I had with the cheaper ones. What can I buy that's accurate but doesn't cut the highs? Please help. I can maybe return the Audiences as I only bought them yesterday. Brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:00 am 

Sounds like the cheaper ones had highs so use them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:01 am 

This is interesting. I have a few power cords for my gear... 2 PS Audio ones and a cheapo one I got for $20 "made for tube gear" that is quite a bit more substantial for my tube phono.

I've almost never used the stock cables with my gear. Noticed hardly any difference. But had recently been reading about high end cables for video as well and considered ordering one for my Sony TV. Probably wouldn't make much difference... but reading info about them seems to make me think otherwise! I'm a sucker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:31 am 

I suggest that you check out entry level power cords from Shunyata Research, both current and older versions. Good build quality, not too expensive and don't cut the highs. Their old Diamondback cords were my first (and far from last) foray into after-market cords and were well worth the money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 pm 

I'd try some Can-con. Unity Audio, Audio Sensibility, Gutwire,Argentum (XLO) all make some excellent cables. I use a couple Gutwire B12 and an older Wireworld cable (among others) and each of them has been an improvement although in many cases it's subtle.
And just to add more merriment, don't over look the connectors. Changing them made a far greater improvement than I ever expected. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:15 pm 

Brian echenberg wrote:
I have a fairly inexpensive power cords for my moon int amp and moon CD player. I bought two Audience power Chords and find that in the quest for a neutral sound I am losing the highs and presence I had with the cheaper ones. What can I buy that's accurate but doesn't cut the highs? Please help. I can maybe return the Audiences as I only bought them yesterday. Brian

They should not be used as an interconnect :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:24 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:
Sounds like the cheaper ones had highs so use them.

Seconded. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:29 pm 

I thought the Furutech FP-Alpha-3 was very good. There's some for sale on CAM right now (no affiliation).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:19 pm 

Price by itself as a yardstick measure of power cable choice (and performance ) is a recipe for a disappointment. System synergy is a bespoke and highly unique custom experiment, there is no one-size-fits-all recommendation.

Next, the brand name product offering by itself in power chords is no assurance of anything other than a marketing ploy. The "brand name" can be easily just cheaply made mass-marketed units with actual cheap-build components, and particularly in the lower price entry level strata , they can perform a whole step down from the "cheaper" lesser-known alternatives. I've test-run numerous DIY power cables made with superior quality build cable matched up with quality-build superior connectors (a la OYAIDE or FURUTECH as some suggestions) that easily bested much higher-priced " Brand" name power cables.... Full stop.

Without prejudice to anything above, your OP suggests an ultra-short Evaluation period that is highly suspect in its conclusions because of the timeframe and I suggest you slow down before making a definite choice in any bake-off. The "new" cables are highly unlikely as being properly broken in with a proper base YET for any proper evaluation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:34 pm 

I would think strongly about using Nordost.

Nordost themselves use Moon amps and cd players to demo their entry to mid grade power cords, interconnenct and wire.

I use Nordost Leif series (Blue Heaven and Purple Flare).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:20 pm 

I've had good luck with power cables from Parts Conexx,and they have them on sale regularly .Good prices and decent selection .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:50 pm 
Premium User

banerjba wrote:
I would think strongly about using Nordost.

Nordost themselves use Moon amps and cd players to demo their entry to mid grade power cords, interconnenct and wire.

I use Nordost Leif series (Blue Heaven and Purple Flare).

I suddenly found myself thinking: 'Oh...perhaps THAT'S why Moon amps and cd players sound so bland to me...it's the cables!!!' lol

I believe if you are looking for Power Cords to change the sound you are in the wrong arena...the best Power Cords are the ones that have the ability to reject noise and electrical interference...allowing a 'cleaner' signal to pass through and not mess up the sound...

If your less expensive power cords are allowing you to enjoy 'highs and presence' then what exactly are you expecting a 'better' power cord to do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:11 pm 

I strongly suggest buying used, especially when learning what one likes. Buying used allows just that, no harm done if something doesn't work out. Of course you have to sell, lose a few bucks, time, effort ... hey it's a hobby, no? Better that than rolling the dice on new cables.

That said in this case I think you'd have been better off getting Nordost as banerjba suggested... even cheaper Nordost.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:38 am 

I second buying used. But, I have a question that I am not sure the answer to. I understand and believe that cables can change a sound of any piece of equipment, positive or negatively.

But, how exactly does a power cable cut the highs? I've never experienced it, to any audible level, personally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:56 am 

Is the Audience new or used,and I ask that simply because if they are new they will need some time to burn in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next