Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm 

I am a fan of Canadian designed, and Canadian built AUDIO...be it speakers, or electronics.

So I own a Bryston BDA-1 and a Simaudio 280D. BUT, I am interested in an upgrade. Will the BDA-3 be a upgrade? Or would I need to jump to the Simaudio 650D cdp.

Really would like some DAC insight - thanks. OH, USB from a MAC PRO, no software running, ifi purifier into the Simaudio 280D fed at 44.1KHz.

My BDA-1 is being used in a second system - son's :-)

Thx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 pm 

Have you looked at exaSound? Much better than either of those, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm 
Premium User

The BDA-3 is an easy choice between the two IMO. The Bryston DAC is decent performance with good connectivity, service and warranty. There are many better DACs out there for the price right now but I understand sticking with a big Canadian company.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:59 pm 

Wasn't crazy about the BDA-1 as I felt it was no better than the Rega DAC I had at the time. Liked the BDA-2 but not enough to give up my Supernova CD player/DAC. Bought the BDA-3 after deciding I liked it at least as much as the Supernova for sound but loved it's versatility. I use two of its HDMI's for my Sat box and BlueRay player and it's two SPDIF connectors for my BDP player and SONO's. That leaves six spares.

After having owned it for a bit of time I've come to the conclusion that I also like it's sound better than the Supernova but they are very close in SQ. I think the Bryston is a little more honest when it comes to bass response but that it and the Supernova would be in a dead heat for mids and highs. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:08 pm 

xtrapnel wrote:

So does this mean that you have heard all three units in your system and performed at least a cursory comparison of them? In what way is the Exasound “much better”? Does some of the DACs do at least some things better such as bass, air, soundstage, etc,etc. Please explain your simplistic blanket statement for the group.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:12 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
Wasn't crazy about the BDA-1 as I felt it was no better than the Rega DAC I had at the time. Liked the BDA-2 but not enough to give up my Supernova CD player/DAC. Bought the BDA-3 after deciding I liked it at least as much as the Supernova for sound but loved it's versatility. I use two of its HDMI's for my Sat box and BlueRay player and it's two SPDIF connectors for my BDP player and SONO's. That leaves six spares.

After having owned it for a bit of time I've come to the conclusion that I also like it's sound better than the Supernova but they are very close in SQ. I think the Bryston is a little more honest when it comes to bass response but that it and the Supernova would be in a dead heat for mids and highs. Hope this helps.

Simaudio Supernova CD player/DAC is (was) a recommended component I believe...so no wonder it took some time before it was bettered.

There is a reliability and solid feeling that comes with buying a Canadian company's piece. Sure there are better DACs out there, and maybe someday I would buy one. But, no need to go there when you have Simaudio and Bryston creating amazing electronics - and I am going by reviews, not my own personal bias.

Thanks for the info guys...leaning towards BDA-3 is an upgrade (?)...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm 

twenty9black wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

Simaudio Supernova CD player/DAC is (was) a recommended component I believe...so no wonder it took some time before it was bettered.

There is a reliability and solid feeling that comes with buying a Canadian company's piece. Sure there are better DACs out there, and maybe someday I would buy one. But, no need to go there when you have Simaudio and Bryston creating amazing electronics - and I am going by reviews, not my own personal bias.

Thanks for the info guys...leaning towards BDA-3 is an upgrade (?)...

I've never heard a 280D so I can't give an informed opinion on it but I wasn't impressed with their current top model when I auditioned my ATC's using it and the 600i Int amp. I think the Supernova is a pretty special piece that unfortunately only has one DAC plugin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:36 pm 

spinaker01 wrote:
xtrapnel wrote:

So does this mean that you have heard all three units in your system and performed at least a cursory comparison of them? In what way is the Exasound “much better”? Does some of the DACs do at least some things better such as bass, air, soundstage, etc,etc. Please explain your simplistic blanket statement for the group.

I’m giving you ambiguity: hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm 

James_W wrote:
The BDA-3 is an easy choice between the two IMO. The Bryston DAC is decent performance with good connectivity, service and warranty. There are many better DACs out there for the price right now but I understand sticking with a big Canadian company.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:46 pm 

I found the 280d to be horrific sound.It left just as fast as it came.I have had cheaper dacs that were more listenable.So shrill and painful to listen too at times.Another thing is open the lid.3k for that! theres nothing in it.Just a fancy case.As for Bryston a decent sound and great company.Then i bought a metrum hex and now I can enjoy anything I put on.It stays.No DSD big deal.Some redbook beats my hires easily.Only as good as original source.The Metrum sound is a very balanced and an overall fantastic sounding dac........for me but I know but a little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:41 pm 

greatlookinglandscapes wrote:
I found the 280d to be horrific sound.It left just as fast as it came.I have had cheaper dacs that were more listenable.So shrill and painful to listen too at times.Another thing is open the lid.3k for that! theres nothing in it.Just a fancy case.As for Bryston a decent sound and great company.Then i bought a metrum hex and now I can enjoy anything I put on.It stays.No DSD big deal.Some redbook beats my hires easily.Only as good as original source.The Metrum sound is a very balanced and an overall fantastic sounding dac........for me but I know but a little

Interesting...I will say that ALL Simaudio kit requires break in, and warm up time to sound as it should. Also, the reviews of the 280D are good, as in very good, like really really good.

Anyway, thanks for your frank input. Appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 pm 

I can't comment on the 280D, but my BDA-3 has performed flawlessly for more than a year now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm 

twenty9black wrote:

Interesting...I will say that ALL Simaudio kit requires break in, and warm up time to sound as it should. Also, the reviews of the 280D are good, as in very good, like really really good.

Anyway, thanks for your frank input. Appreciated.

ofcourse they are.I would stay away.Mine was broken in.The amps have a similar sound to my ears.Grow tired quickly.Have done the moon thing and have moved on.It is popular and can move easy when dired change comes about.Thats always nice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 pm 

Then i bought a metrum hex and now I can enjoy anything I put on.It stays.No DSD big deal.Some redbook beats my hires easily.Only as good as original source.The Metrum sound is a very balanced and an overall fantastic sounding dac........for me but I know but a little

The Metrum is a lovely DAC, and the newer models are even better still. But Non-over sampling DACs aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'd suggest listening to one, but the only Canadian one I'm aware of is/was the Audio Zone one. It had its fans, but I don't know if I've ever consciously heard one (it may well have been playing in Audio Oasis one of the times I was there.) NOS DACs can sound closed in to some people, and lacking in air and space. They often make up for it in timbre, timing and flow.

Of all the DACs I've owned (13 or so,) the exaSound e22 is easily the best of the over sampling DACs. It majors in breathtaking transparency, great imaging, and very good micro- and macro- dynamics. And it's Canadian, and its creator, George Klissarov, is great with answering questions and troubleshooting. Terrific headphone amp, too.

It, in my opinion, falls down in what I can only call tactility, which is the sense I get of the musicians actually touching their instruments. Not just the sound of keys clicking or strings squeaking, but a sense that the musicians are the ones creating the music, rather than it just hanging in the air. That's why I've favored NOS DACs since... But this is the sort of thing that may not bother you at all; some people are more picky about it than others.

Anyway, George offers a 30-day trial; I urge you to try the new e32 which I gather is even better. I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm 

@OP, there's a review of the BDA-3 coming out in the next issue of UHF Magazine. They had retired their Moon 300D by then, so they compared the Bryston to the other DAC they had in contention for the reference function. That other DAC was the Moon 280D.