Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:59 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
libor wrote:
Thank you guys....do you listen to some BR audio 2 channel only discs?

I do, but I just use my OPPO BDP-103 as a transport and output hi-rez audio via HDMI to a Bryston DAC. The internal OPPO DAC is OK, but nothing special.

Yup, do the same thing with my Cambridge CXU to my BDA-3. Most are 5 channel music Blu rays and SACD's though. Sounds really good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:45 pm 

libor wrote:

My BR audio discs are 2.0 and 5.1 mix, because my player is connected to my home theatre receiver in another setup they don't get played as much as my CDs
Mostly use the player for concert videos Blu Ray and DVD.

leo1 wrote:

Do you know if the Yamaha BD-A1060 is still available.

I noticed the Yamaha site shows "Discontinued".
I've been using mine for 1 1/2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:48 am 

The players mentioned in this thread as possible replacements for a crapped-out OPPO--are they all truly universal players? By that I mean will they play DVD-audio discs? I guess I keep harping on this, but I'm just terribly afraid that DVD-A is going to go dodo. SACD is great, blu-ray audio too, but I have lots of DVD-audios too. And I know my OPPO isn't going to last forever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:18 am 

leo1 wrote:
nickthecanuck wrote:
Also using Yamaha BD-A1060, bought from Visions.
Cost new was less than the repair estimate for dead Marantz 5007.

I purchased mine New last year from electroniquehifi ,Unfortunately it seems that this Yamaha Player is no longer available.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:46 am 

xtrapnel wrote:
allgonoshow wrote:
xtrapnel wrote:
Imagine this is pretty good, if not quite their best.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... al-player/

That is mine --so yes , affilation

Oops, missed that!

And the other question... what dac, on board player or yours

Are you asking for yourself? I have a Cambridge 751bd. I think the DAC in that is very good, but not exactly to my taste so I just use it as a transport. but I think it can only output 16/44 digitally. I don't know what resolution BR audio is, but I don't think it can be output from most players to an external DAC.

Not asking for myself, my unit is surplus and for sale.

I checked manual and digitial output is 24-/192 for LPCM [2 channel]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 am 

libor wrote:

To rehash extracts from prior discussions

- Blu Ray audio releases are going to be very limited and only be available on an artist-by-artist basis.

- Alternate Hi-res music formats - e.g. SACD - didn't really take off, so adding another via Blu-Ray audio to a market going to Hi-Rez downloads in a big way has a predictable conclusion. Blu-Ray audio is destined to suffer the same commercial fate as SACD and DVD-Audio.....A big problem is they released too many competing formats at the same time

- Personally, for 2-channel audio performance, my high-end cdp/DAC as a player for any and all of my red book CDs, XRCDs, hi-Rez downloads, or whatever, is a whole big step up in audio performance over my ARCAM BluRay player playing BluRay audio, and simply performs in a whole different league.

But in fairness to the comparison, the former is 6 times the price of the latter. The ARCAM is a stand-alone yeoman duty performer for multichannel HT only. BluRay multichannel 5.1 or 7.1 music live concerts are a delightful experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:12 am 

joseph49 wrote:
leo1 wrote:
nickthecanuck wrote:
Also using Yamaha BD-A1060, bought from Visions.
Cost new was less than the repair estimate for dead Marantz 5007.

I purchased mine New last year from electroniquehifi ,Unfortunately it seems that this Yamaha Player is no longer available.

I found a new one at Visions in Woodbridge;they have one more at clearance price.Even got a free HDMI cable. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 am 

Great I am glad you found one, Just in case you do not already know you can also connect to the Yamaha player and play any of your audio files direct from jRiver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am 

Thanks to this thread I picked up a Yamaha BD-A1060 from Audio Warehouse, Saskatoon. It was a demo unit so last one, I was going to get the Sony UPB- X800. This was a Xmas upgrade I had been considering for awhile.

Out of the box the HDMI was not compatible with my Sony Bravia 2008 HDTV 48". So I have to use my 32" Samsung Smart TV, will probably purchase another bigger TV sometime next year when funds allow.

The Yamaha is not a true 4k player, but a 4k upscaler, which is fine by me as there is very little to no content in 4k yet. I went the upscaler route when 1080i first came out.

Only played a cd briefly, could tell it was not as good as my Bryston BCD-3. However in blu ray mode Lpcm the sound is stellar. Can't say for sure that the sound is better than my cheap Sony Blu ray but I am in the belief that it is. Wasn't able to play the dts Master audio track, as I could with cheap Sony Blu ray. Will have to test with dts Master audio only Blu ray to see if it works. My system is set up for stereo, though I can play dts 5.1 if I was to change how I have the playback chain, which isn't likely to happen at this time.

Yamaha BD-A1060 also plays sacd which I haven't tested yet, only have about 10 sacd's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am 

" Personally, for 2-channel audio performance, my high-end cdp/DAC as a player for any and all of my red book CDs, XRCDs, hi-Rez downloads, or whatever, is a whole big step up in audio performance over my ARCAM BluRay player playing BluRay audio, and simply performs in a whole different league."

Would you be kind enough to post what make/model high-end cdp/DAC you are using?

Sounds great................pun intended.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:33 am 

Digital Doc wrote:
Thanks to this thread I picked up a Yamaha BD-A1060 from Audio Warehouse, Saskatoon. It was a demo unit so last one, I was going to get the Sony UPB- X800. This was a Xmas upgrade I had been considering for awhile.

Out of the box the HDMI was not compatible with my Sony Bravia 2008 HDTV 48". So I have to use my 32" Samsung Smart TV, will probably purchase another bigger TV sometime next year when funds allow.

The Yamaha is not a true 4k player, but a 4k upscaler, which is fine by me as there is very little to no content in 4k yet. I went the upscaler route when 1080i first came out.

Only played a cd briefly, could tell it was not as good as my Bryston BCD-3. However in blu ray mode Lpcm the sound is stellar. Can't say for sure that the sound is better than my cheap Sony Blu ray but I am in the belief that it is. Wasn't able to play the dts Master audio track, as I could with cheap Sony Blu ray. Will have to test with dts Master audio only Blu ray to see if it works. My system is set up for stereo, though I can play dts 5.1 if I was to change how I have the playback chain, which isn't likely to happen at this time.

Yamaha BD-A1060 also plays sacd which I haven't tested yet, only have about 10 sacd's.

Okay, I found the set up menu, after changing settings cd playback is much better. Doesn't appear that I will get sacd to work at this time as that appears to need HDMI to receiver connection which I don't have, but it should work with output to tv.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm 

libor wrote:
I only have a few BR audio discs and I have played them using my Arcam BDP300. I actually prefer the sound of my CD's through the Arcam over the BR discs. To me, the BR discs sound...too clinical, if that makes any sense. My Cd's sound more musical, especially the few HDCD's that I have, they sound amazing!

-- 11 Oct 2018 21:11 --

Gunner wrote:
- Personally, for 2-channel audio performance, my high-end cdp/DAC as a player for any and all of my red book CDs, XRCDs, hi-Rez downloads, or whatever, is a whole big step up in audio performance over my ARCAM BluRay player playing BluRay audio, and simply performs in a whole different league.

But in fairness to the comparison, the former is 6 times the price of the latter. The ARCAM is a stand-alone yeoman duty performer for multichannel HT only. BluRay multichannel 5.1 or 7.1 music live concerts are a delightful experience.
Gunner, you've mentioned your cdp/DAC a couple of times, but I don't believe you've mentioned which cd player it is. I'm very curious, if it sounds that much better than the Arcam. Although, if it's 6 times the price, that may take me out of the running for one anyway! :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm 

OK. Thanks all of you guys...