Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am 

Second this approach. I went with the Allo DigiOne board. This one does excellent SPDIF they also have one with Allo USBBridge (although I believe this uses a different SBC) if that is your desire, general discussion on the Interweb's seems to show they are a step up from the also well reviewed HiFi Berry boards.

I won't lie and say there isn't a little bit of learning curve, but this, with a NAS, and BubblePNP linked into Tidal is working quite well for me, with the Linn LUMIN application managing things. Volumio is good, but if you don't like it there are other operating systems for it. Plugged into my Schiit Gumby sounds a treat. Like anything in the open source arena if you really want true plug and play this isn't quite the solution. But it's really not far off and you are not locked into a specific firmware/OS platform.

Deep

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/digione-player/

of if you want to actually kick some pennies Volumio's direction buy via them

https://volumio.org/shop/

milesian wrote:
Earlier I suggested a Raspberry Pi booted up with Volumio. I’m currently using one with an excellent HiFi Berry Amp2, which is a combination Dac and 40 watts class D amp that slots on top of the Pi. This week, I added the iFi ipower 15VDC low noise SMPS ($69 on Amazon). Performance has been kicked up a notch with increased detail and dynamics. Considering the crazy amounts one can spend on linear psu’s the ipower is a steal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 am 

This raspberry pi platform has me chuckling. I’ve run Pi’s with add on boards, usb DACs, and they all sound excellent. If you know how to put LEGO blocks together you can build a streamer that will play virtually anything and barely break $100. Perhaps a year ago, I found Volumio a little flakey, but the latest iteration is stable, versatile and simple to use. Max2play is equally as good, but you have to pay and I found setup a little more complicated. Volumio looks nicer too.

Attachment:
5BBB591A-3FBD-455C-8EC3-5BFD678264D3.jpeg
5BBB591A-3FBD-455C-8EC3-5BFD678264D3.jpeg [ 344.52 KiB | Viewed 703 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 am 

viclauyyc wrote:
Adriankn wrote:
Innuos Zenmini or Zen Mk II. I currently use the latter. If you're buying it for an audible improvement.

They are still working on their own player software, which is suppose to be around next month. Their control software is great so far and I'm running mine as a Roon Core. Mainly got it for the sound quality versus everything else I've tried, but Roon is hard to live without now as well. I leave the Innuos on 24/7 and use my phone and desktop and laptop as endpoints. I have unlimited music on the same library on all devices in my network. Ripping CDs its fed is a nice bonus.

A Zenmini and Roon subscription are about the same money as an 851N. If you already have a DAC, I'd take a look at it for sure.

Seems they are more for music library, not streaming.

You do get 1-4TB in them, but I use mine for 50% tidal and 50% stored library. I'm just recommending on sound quality. You'd have to see if you like the features. With the iPeng app or similar Squeezebox controllers you can use dozens of streaming services. It just has the best sounding digital output I've heard. Much better than a computer or comparably priced network players.

Of course if you were to use Roon, like I do, you only get Tidal and Library. So, that wouldn't be the software you choose necessarily.

Keep in mind it's USB output only.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 am 

viclauyyc wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Gotcha! Missed the OP’s concerns with Google. BUT….who is to say the NAD doesn’t call home with user statistics. If Bose can do it with their headphones, NAD can certainly do it with a device that connects to a PC. Anything is possible. :wink:

As an Apple fan boy, I am pretty sure Apple will not sell my data. In fact, Apple is selling protection of user data as one of the main selling point for their product.

I am not saying the sub $1000 steamer is bad. Just I am not sure about the system integration part, mainly the iOS interface.

Another thing is the resale value. Bigger brand just easier to find service and better resale value.

As for Raspberry Pi, I was looking into it. However, I still don't know where to start. It is just too many options and too much knowledge. Not to mention this upgrade path seems never ending. Usually I will spend a lot of time and money and dig very deep to find the ultimate. And this is not what I hope to spend my time with.

Resale value is a valid consideration. But how does one predict the future value of a component in an industry where tech changes in the blink of an eye leaving older components less attractive to buyers on the used market.

The Pi is an attractive little device given it flexibility. Should you not want to use it for streaming, one can easily change it into a personal computer. Even install Mac OS! Won’t be folding protein or playing hardcore games on it, but will make an excellent device casual computing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am 

Adriankn wrote:
viclauyyc wrote:
Adriankn wrote:
Innuos Zenmini or Zen Mk II. I currently use the latter. If you're buying it for an audible improvement.

They are still working on their own player software, which is suppose to be around next month. Their control software is great so far and I'm running mine as a Roon Core. Mainly got it for the sound quality versus everything else I've tried, but Roon is hard to live without now as well. I leave the Innuos on 24/7 and use my phone and desktop and laptop as endpoints. I have unlimited music on the same library on all devices in my network. Ripping CDs its fed is a nice bonus.

A Zenmini and Roon subscription are about the same money as an 851N. If you already have a DAC, I'd take a look at it for sure.

Seems they are more for music library, not streaming.

You do get 1-4TB in them, but I use mine for 50% tidal and 50% stored library. I'm just recommending on sound quality. You'd have to see if you like the features. With the iPeng app or similar Squeezebox controllers you can use dozens of streaming services. It just has the best sounding digital output I've heard. Much better than a computer or comparably priced network players.

Of course if you were to use Roon, like I do, you only get Tidal and Library. So, that wouldn't be the software you choose necessarily.

Keep in mind it's USB output only.

I have the Zenith MkII....
Having tried an Aurender, Auralic and my own purpose built highly optimized PC I can say the Innous Zenith has been literally the biggest sonic surprise I have come across in audio. I bought it for pure plug and play ease regardless of using the excellent iPing app or of coarse Roon only to find out all the hype about the sound quality of their products is true.
Of note, the Zenith can export out USB or Ethernet so it can be an all in one storage/server/streamer(with iPeng) or just a server to a streamer or any combo of the aforementioned.

Highly recommended product

Edit:
It's super easy to go from the iPeng app to the Roon app in their web based settings..... so if streaming is your thing on some days than more or less just toggle out of Roon and into iPeng and away you go.
Personally, once Roon was set up I never looked back as it controls my Tidal account flawlessly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm 

Chromecast is the most advanced streaming device on the market - and the cheapest.

Don't worry about it spying on you, because it doesn't connect to the internet, it's a wifi device. It's not like Google Home at all. It just streams.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm 

There is no need to spend too much seeing you plan on streaming MP3 audio and use Spotify as your main source for music playback. Any "Spotify Connect" ready streamer/device will do. This will allow you to use your Spotify app and control all aspects of playback from within the Spotify app on your smartphone, tablet and/or computer. No need to use any other app.

Chromecast Audio is likely the least expensive option and would work really well using an optical cable from the device to the Oppo. You'll need a 3.5 mm mini-Toslink to Toslink connector. More info at https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/chromecastaudio/

For about $300-$400 or so you can get an Allo Digione (I am using one for Roon) or similar Raspberry Pi device but it may require some fiddling to get the OS up and running. There are several different options available.

For about $600 the Bluesound Node or Auralic Aries Mini would be a good choice. Just connect either device to your wireless network, launch Spotify and connect to the device and your set. Both offer some additional functionally and the Aries Mini can accommodate an internal hard drive for local storage/music library, which might become useful.

You can also connect either via a digital connection such as coaxial/optical audio to your Oppo to use the DAC section of your Oppo and the Aries Mini also provides a USB output as well, should you wish to use this connection.

As long as your streamer/device you plan on using and your smartphone, tablet and/or computer are connected to the same network, using the Spotify app as a remote works really well. More info at https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/connect/

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am 

Simplify your life; buy a used Linn Majik or Akurate, both well within your budget. Works seamlessly with your NAS,Tidal, Spotify, etc. and provides speaker sound correction software built in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

$2,500.00 buys a lot! Try (for considerably less) Cayin iDap6 or a Cabasse stream source... Bothare incredibly effective and versitile