Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm 

Deluxe20 wrote:
dickard wrote:
I would be seriously considering these if I were in your position. Perhaps the price is a little bit high, particularly considering the grills are missing, but they are excellent vintage speakers if that's what you're in the market for.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... er-system/

ADS L-1290/2 Tower 3-way Speakers are on the map... I am wondering if they are a little too similar to my B&W matrix 804's... in that they like powerful amps to bring them to life?
I also see a set of Altec Stonehenge 1 for sale that I like the vintage look of but don't know how well they will perform... anyone familiar?
I'm still like the KEF 104's as well.
I also noticed Klipsch RP280F that are newer but the horn gives them a vintage appeal with veneered cabinets...
I find something I like in every recommended speaker... It will come down to condition and price as it does for the most part. I could return all the Christmas presents and buy more speakers for the family... My obituary would read... man bludgeoned by speakers on Christmas.

Following up on my recommendation for these speakers... I have not heard the II version, although I do own the original version. My understanding is that the revised version sound better, however they also have ferrofluid in the midranges and tweeters which can dry up and result in decreased performance. There is a fellow who has all the parts to completely rebuild these drivers (woofers and crossovers as well), but that's going to cost you an extra couple hundred dollars for shipping, labour and materials.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 am 

Sorry I haven't posted anything recently. I looked at older vintage as well as newer speakers and trying to combine asthetics as well as performance. I may be purchasing a set of Kef 104ab's that come with stands. I just have to arrange a time to hear them and make the purchase. I feel this has been an adventure with all of the great suggestions that everyone has made. I have learned a lot. If the Kef 104ab's need an upgrade in a year I have a great starting point to build on.

If there are any suggestions as to what I should listen for or look at when buying used speakers. Please offer your input.

Merry Christmas,
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am 

Have you tested out and listened to the B&W speakers that you have yet?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am 

Deluxe20 wrote:
If there are any suggestions as to what I should listen for or look at when buying used speakers. Please offer your input.

Test them out by listening to music that you are very familiar with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

Yes I have as of yesterday hooked up the B&W matrix 804's. They sound great... no question. The only thing that I would like to address is that I think they would benefit from being elevated 10 inches. I don't know whether B&W made stands for them or not. They sing listening to A Taste of Honey by Herb Alpert and the Tiajuana Brass.
I still want to hear the 804's with a more powerful amp as I keep reading that the B&W matrix 804's like power. I can't help feeling that the Kef 104's will match up to the Luxman receiver nicely.

Thank you for the suggestion of taking some music I like to audition the speakers with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:19 pm 

Deluxe20 wrote:
Sorry, i mixed them up... the coincident speakers are canadian... not the nolans...

Thanks again for all of the advice. I'm learning a lot as I look the speakers up.

Please don't groan... I am interested in a reply... How are Realistic mach 1's that were made from 1976 to 1984. I wanted a pair in high school (80's) but never hear of them anymore.

they are like the toy version of these

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -flamenco/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm 

I am going to pick up a pair of Kef 104ab speakers tomorrow... I think my search for a pair of speakers should be satisfied for now. I have also purchased a definitive supercube 6000 that will be for my home theater... lt was suggested that I might use it also to supplement the base if needed on the kef speakers. Bottom line I should have lots to play with on Christmas day.
I realize my choice isn't everyone's... but I love the vintage look.

Thanks everyone who offered advice.