Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:52 am 

Hello all. A few of these old receivers are available on the market. I am thinking about purchasing one. I have a NAD av receiver and rather like it.

In the CAM forums a search brought up a few references to the 7155. I have never heard the NAD 7155 but I understand it is/was very good. I would be looking to use it with a pair of Tannoy Cheviots and/or KEF Reference LS 101. I would be using my Studer/Revox TT and an Exposure XX11 cd player as sources.

If you have experience with the 7155 could you take a few minute and share with me your knowledge of it. As the model is old I am particularly interested in repair issues and how its sound quality is holding up at what is an advanced age for a receiver.

I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff and have started acquiring some equipment to while away the retirement years.

Thank you.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am 

Peter, I had a 7100 some six years ago and it was excellent. 60 RMS per channel so it is probaly identical to the 7155 in sound. No issues during the year I had it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am 

I have owned a number of NAD 7240PE receivers throughout the years, and have recommended a number of others to friends. All sounded great and none ever had a problem.

You can normally buy and sell them for the same price.

Buy and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am 

...I currently have a NAD 7155 that I purchased new in 1986...still using it ..never ever had an issue...
...Power 55wpc......but it has lots of headroom ...made in Japan....sold for almost $1000 CDN in 1986
...am using JBL 4311 speakers with them...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am 

Thank you all for your replies. The units I am interested in are in an auction and it looks to me like the bidding will go beyond what I feel is a reasonable price. In looking at the NAD history of sales on CAM I am thinking that I might be able to get a deal on CAM that fits my wallet, if I am patient.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

NAD 7155 was NAD's best 50+ watts per channel receiver. Switches and pots might need a cleaning and yes it's used. you can buy new with a warranty but will be paying over $700 retail to get an amp that would sound as good as a 7155. Also, there would be no phono section installed long since surround sound killed 2 channel audio which is why people buy used.

NAD was successful because while all the other great companies sold out in the 1980's, reducing their quality and production costs, NAD came out of nowhere and killed HK, Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz etc.. all of which only went downhill in build and sound quality. This is because production costs were so high in the 1970's. Switching to low cost integrated circuits, lower cost heat sinks (less heat generated IC's) , using digital filters for the tuners instead of variable caps etc..meant you payed less but the quality suffered. The chassis, frame, faceplate etc.. all lighter and cheap to make compared to 1960's- 1970's equipment. Then surround sound came out in the early 1990's and killed the 2 channel stereo market.

A 7155 received priced reasonably well will sell fast. It's not like the high end audio from the mid 80's to early 90's that seems to sell well but, for a receiver, there would be demand. Just don't expect or assume this 25 + year old receiver will work 100% and insist on a demo first before buying.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 am 

I have two NAD 2155 stereo power amplifiers (and two NAD 2150). As far as I know the amp section in the 7155 is identical to the 2155. (They certainly have the same rear panel layout / switches / connections - power amp-wise.)

This year was my year of getting just about every piece of "vintage" gear that I own (and still use - even if only occasionally) serviced / refurbished. One of my NAD 2155 included.

Parts-wise it needed new capacitors (to cure a "right channel cutting out" problem.) With shop labour it cost $271C all in.

It's a typical NAD solid state amp: quiet, clean and powerful (for its rating). It will drive any speaker I've ever connected it to. I'm currently using that one with a pair of Totem Sttaf - 56' feet away (12 gauge copper wire) without any issues.

Jeff

ps. Like all NAD amps / amp sections of that era, they have a "soft clipping" switch / feature. On many occasion when I've had a channel cut out, all it took was toggling that switch several time to set things right (on all of those NAD amps - including a 2200 that I still use - and which was also fully-refurbished this year). Of course proper switch cleaning or replacement could be called for in persistent cases.