Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:57 am 

Hi Cam,

My parents recently downsized into a small bungalow with a finished basement. As their Audio Enthusiast son of course, I volunteered to assist them with their audio needs. They were sharing an audio system on the main floor of their previous home but now they need two audio systems as my Father is relegated to the basement.

They prefer to keep audio and video separate and to keep things easy and simple. Both rooms are small, and my Fathers room is sealed.

Currently they each have a pair of speakers;
Mothers speakers require a minimum 15 watts and are 93db sensitive.
Fathers speakers require a minimum 5 watts and are 98db sensitive.

Other equipment consists of;
Denon DRA-697CI
Technics late 70’s direct drive turntable
Sony 5-disc CD changer
Toshiba single disc CD player

They also want to install a pair of Paradigm outdoor speakers for the patio. I thought that since the DRA-697CI has A/B speaker switching it would remain on the main floor to power my Mothers speakers and the Paradigm outdoor speakers. As it also has a built-in Phono stage the turntable could stay on the main floor and my Mother likes to put the 5-disc CD changer on shuffle at Christmas.

That leaves the Toshiba single disc CD player for my Father with his speakers. My Father has become a Denon “Fan Boy”, the DRA-697CI is the third Denon receiver he’s had since he retired his late 70’s Luxman two decades ago. I was hoping to persuade him into something different. He is also a “Big Bang for the Buck” kind of guy.

Keeping the budget under $1000 I was looking at the DENON PMA-800NE for $799. A buying decision probably wouldn’t be made until the new year but I wanted to start doing the research now.

What else is out there that you would recommend? Perhaps a Yamaha?

Audiois1st

Last edited by Audiois1st on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 am 

Id go integrated for simplicity's sake....no need for room correction or other fancy and complicated options.

I like my Yaquin vk2100 personally....its a tube hybrid, has 4 rca inputs and is capable of 80wrms per channel if im not mistaken. It sounds big and open, makes music fun but theres a good level of detail as well especially with a nice cd player.

Other suggestions based on personal experience would be anything from Arcam or NAD, again just for the sake of simplicity. Theres better out there but i find both of those very user friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:10 pm 

Nad C316 BEE wife owns one best bang for the buck out there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

NAD 316 all the way even have a version 2 with phono input

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am 

I found two products that may be of interest.

Yamaha R-N803
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20

Anything else out there that compare? Anyone with experience with these that could provide some feedback?

Thanks,

Audiois1st

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:35 pm 

I have a Yamaha RN602, same thing less power afaik, no room correction.

Great functionality and connectivity, great phone app.

S/Q would be on the consumer level, not for focused listening, depending on your standards of course.

Last edited by allgonoshow on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm 

Hi,

The NAD amp mentioned above is a value leader. Dad might think so too. The Denons are not a bad option but for the price of the one you quote you can get a nice used Cambridge Audio CD player, say one of the 500 series level player, and a new NAD amp to boot. The older Toshiba CD player will be the weak link - internal DACs in CD players have witnessed a 'clocking revolution' to reduce jitter.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:11 pm 

For new budget gear you really cant beat NAD. Sound quality is much better than Yamaha or Denon for example. If budget allows and since the speakers are high efficiency, for less than $1k, even better sound can be had with Rega, the built in phono stage is quite good as well.
If used is an option then there are dozens of great European/North American made brands that will sound stunningly good for well under $1k.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:26 am 

I was going to also suggest Rega just based on price but ive never had an opportunity to hear anything from them. Theres also a couple of really nice Creek integrateds on here within your budget

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm 

I really like NAD but also have to point out an offering from Marantz (I know, basically Denon but...). I use and enjoy an (ancient in terms of AVR/dog-years) NR 1604 - I think it is pretty good value. I see that the latest NR 1609 includes phono preamp (MM) and, if you need them:
- Multiple speakers
- Pre-out (for better amp)
- Various streaming/wifi options

And I bet come black Friday...bargoons...BTW my wife figured out the remote and there's even a app for it...

http://www.ca.marantz.com/ca/Products/P ... tId=NR1609