Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 am 

Hello,

I am looking for a replacement as my main HT receiver, which is actually a Marantz SR6007.

Besides all the "standard" requirements like 4K, HDMI 2.0/2.1, I am looking the for best possible sound in stereo listening.

Actually, for stereo listening, I use the Pure Direct mode of the SR6007, coupled with a DAC. The result is quite satisfying.

The main reason why I am looking to upgrade it because the speakers used for stereo listening, B&W CM8 S2, are 150w, and the receiver outputs 110w.

Thank you,

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 am 

Welcome to the CAM Forums Eric.

First things first, you are comparing apples to oranges here: the receivers power OUTPUT versus the speakers maximum power HANDLING. And even at that, you can have a huge mismatch between power output and power handling and still have no problems. You just need to keep things at a sane level and not do anything stupid with the volume control.

For years, I have powered a few pairs of Minimus 7s (40W mini-speakers) with the full power output of a Carver M-400t power amp (200 W+ per channel) with no ill effects for hours on end. Same thing with a pair of 30 W 3a Alphase speakers on the same amp which can output close to 250WPC into their 6 ohm impedance. But I did blow up the 3a's tweeters with a 10 WPC receiver. The main trick is to NOT boost the bass control and to listen for obvious signs of physical/audible distress from the speakers.

At 110 WPC power output versus 150W power handling, you have a perfectly reasonable match that should work just fine, assuming that your SR-6007 actually produces its rated 110WPC (it comes a lot closer than the majority of its competitors in multi-channed ane easily meets its ratings in 2 channel mode).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am 

Thank you for your quick answer !

I probably identified incorrectly the problem, but the situation I experienced yesterday is that my Marantz shut down after 3 songs played at the same (loud but not unreasonable) volume. It never did that with the CM5, and did that at the first stereo listening with the CM8.

Thank you,
Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am 

Does the Marantz have pre outs? You may be able to keep it, and add an external power amp of your choice.

I do that with mine.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am 

I suspect the issue is due to the impedance of the speaker dipping below 4 ohms from time to time. Your receiver may not be able to handle the higher current demands.
Maybe try bi-amping your speakers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:11 pm 

Thank you for your answers. In the specification of the SR6007, I can see that it has Pre-Amplifier Out in 7.2, if I understand well (http://ca.marantz.com/ca/Products/Pages ... tId=SR6007 ).

So I think that a reasonable option will be indeed to add an external power amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:37 am 

'hotber' said harman/kardon HK 7300 sounds better than Rotel RSX-1067 ! Both Rotel RSX-1067 and HK 7300 have a serious toroidal transformer inside http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/a-v-receivers/harman-kardon/avr-7300.html

Attachment:
File comment: Rotel RSX-1067
RSX1067_3[1].jpg
RSX1067_3[1].jpg [ 60.5 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: harman/kardon HK 7399
harmankardon_avr_7300_inside[1].jpg
harmankardon_avr_7300_inside[1].jpg [ 90.63 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

ricke666 wrote:
Thank you for your answers. In the specification of the SR6007, I can see that it has Pre-Amplifier Out in 7.2, if I understand well (http://ca.marantz.com/ca/Products/Pages ... tId=SR6007 ).

So I think that a reasonable option will be indeed to add an external power amp.

The components inside Marantz SR-6007 is identical to Denon Denon AVR-3313 as described by http://lydogbillede.dk/test/5-3d-klare-surround-receivere/marantz-sr6007/

It has Left/Right Front Pre-out

Attachment:
File comment: Marantz SR-6007
Marantz-SR6007-AV-receiver-rear-left-ports[1].jpg
Marantz-SR6007-AV-receiver-rear-left-ports[1].jpg [ 132.03 KiB | Viewed 922 times ]

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1000-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003HZPKSM
http://classdaudio.com/sds-470c-class-d-audio-power-amplifier.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 am 

The Marantz is a nice solid receiver. Good sound good quality. Keep it, wouldn't worry about the wattage in speakers.

If you want to upgrade, I went from Marantz to Anthem, never looked back. ARC is in itself worth the extra.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649452233-anthem-mrx-500/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/80806-anthem-mrx510-vs-marantz-sr6009-whats-best-for-sound-quality-or-even-any-other-amps-for-the-2000-mark/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/anthem-mrx-510-with-music.1938502/
Quote:
'liamgdr' says: >>For what its worth, which may not be a lot, I recently swapped my budget 2 channel amp (Marantz pm6005) for a Anthem MRX 500! The first thing I noticed was how detailed the MRX 500 sounded in comparison to the Marantz two channel amp without loosing any warmth in the soundstage, the bass response was also better on the Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver than the Marantz pm6005 two channel amp! generally everything sounds clean and composed on MRX 500<<

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-systems-home-theatre/mississauga-peel-region/anthem-receiver-mrx-700/1372762937

The Anthem MRX 700 has a serious toroidal transformer inside!

Attachment:
File comment: Anthem MRX 700 - inside view
mrx-700-1-anthem[1].jpg
mrx-700-1-anthem[1].jpg [ 539.92 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 am 

I'd go hybrid! (keep and use the Marantz + an integrated)

Buy a good integrated amplifier that has home theater bypass and use it specifically for 2 channel/analog inputs.

Here's a list of integrated amps that could fit the bill.

http://audiophile.no/en/articles-tests- ... ssor-input

There's probably more of course....this list helped me.

I use a Yamaha 7.2 HT receiver for all of my digital inputs and use a Rega Elicit-R, plugged into the pre-outs of the Yamaha for my analog, including my DAC, for 2 channel listening.

Best of both worlds!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

OBI56 wrote:

First things first, you are comparing apples to oranges here: the receivers power OUTPUT versus the speakers maximum power HANDLING. And even at that, you can have a huge mismatch between power output and power handling and still have no problems. You just need to keep things at a sane level and not do anything stupid with the volume control.

For years, I have powered a few pairs of Minimus 7s (40W mini-speakers) with the full power output of a Carver M-400t power amp (200 W+ per channel) with no ill effects for hours on end. Same thing with a pair of 30 W 3a Alphase speakers on the same amp which can output close to 250WPC into their 6 ohm impedance. But I did blow up the 3a's tweeters with a 10 WPC receiver. The main trick is to NOT boost the bass control and to listen for obvious signs of physical/audible distress from the speakers.

At 110 WPC power output versus 150W power handling, you have a perfectly reasonable match that should work just fine, assuming that your SR-6007 actually produces its rated 110WPC (it comes a lot closer than the majority of its competitors in multi-channed ane easily meets its ratings in 2 channel mode).
+1!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 pm 

OBI56 wrote:

OBI56, informative and accurate as always. Just one point I am trying to make, in reality underpowered amps destroy more speakers than overpowered ones. Once the 50W amp starts clipping the tweeters in your lets say 150w speakers (first) take the punishment of the clipped wave of signal. Mids and woofers will follow. In another words, there is nothing wrong with higher powered amp that your speakers. As long as you stay reasonable with volume and use your ears. Underpowered amp gives you false sense of security and often invites disaster because people believe 50w amp can not hurt 100w speakers... it can.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 pm 

chuttt wrote:
The Marantz is a nice solid receiver. Good sound good quality. Keep it, wouldn't worry about the wattage in speakers.

If you want to upgrade, I went from Marantz to Anthem, never looked back. ARC is in itself worth the extra.

I can totally agree, I had a Marantz AV7702 processor and found it very lacking for 2ch duties, went to a Anthem MRX310 which I use as a pre/pro via the preouts to my Sherbourn amp and it is much better to my ears.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:04 pm 

ricke666 wrote:
Thank you for your quick answer !

I probably identified incorrectly the problem, but the situation I experienced yesterday is that my Marantz shut down after 3 songs played at the same (loud but not unreasonable) volume. It never did that with the CM5, and did that at the first stereo listening with the CM8.

Thank you,
Eric

The Marantz is a great choice to drive the speakers mentioned. I agree with the issue of the Marantz's protection circuit kicking in due to impedance/thermal overload. Regarding the B&W CM8, I'd suggest inspecting their crossover components for thermal overload, typically the coils as these are 6-8 Ohm speakers. The Marantz is designed for a nominal impedance of down to 6 ohms {as noted on the speaker terminals}, and can handle 4 ohms.
The Bi-Amp suggestion is also a viable option with your receiver using "Front B" to drive the top end and Front Main to drive the Bass drivers.
I can see the potential for damage if you tend to overdrive the amplifier, as the speakers can handle more power and sound pleasant at high volumes due to their low sensitivity of 88db.
I had a somewhat similar situation with a Luxman R115 which was rated at 75w./ch on similar efficiency speakers. I recently purchased the new Marantz SR8012 which doubled the power of the Luxman which gained me a slight difference in volume of only 3dB. { that's where you can honestly say" I think it's a bit louder"}