Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Think you could go 6 months without adding new changes to your audio system?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am
Absolutely, sign me up 52%  52%  [ 49 ]
Probably, willing to give it a try 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Possibly, let me think about it 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
I doubt it 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
Not a Chance, and why would you even want to 21%  21%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 95
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:14 pm 

Dave, maybe we could do the “Audio Jones For Charity” drive.

Get CAM Member donations; and if I don’t make it to 6 months, I have to pony up to equal the amount donated.

We could use the money raised, to provide good audio equipment to children raised in homes with bad stereos. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm 

Didn’t Seinfeld, Kramer and George try this already?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I'm out....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:16 am 
Premium User

Not at the moment but until last year I had gone about 5 years without making any changes.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:33 am 

Vintage tube amps and DIY preamps and DIY phono stages sound so good there's no need to buy anything new. Recapped Krells are good for a few decades. Per my high end amp tech there's no upside to a new Krell, but only long term downside since maintenance is next to impossible. New would be a DAC, CD/BR player, streamer, etc.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:45 pm 

Probably not.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 pm 

Since I posted (back in March) I have tried three more amps, just placed an order for a pair of monoblocks, and still have a nice, shiny Anthem sitting in the basement waiting to displace the 2017 Denon.....and I just bought over 1,000 albums at auction.....this addiction is taking me over (and I like it).

Good news is I have also (since March) sold two pairs of speakers, a nice integrated and a big amp. So I really only have one surplus amp and one surplus tuner... when the monos arrive, I'll move one of my big amps down the road.

So, as much as I won't even try to forestall the inevitable new purchases, I am resolved to at least keep the balance sheet close to even by selling off surplus equipment.....now I thought I saw a thread a while ago...is it REALLY hoarding if you have an extra amp or two hanging around? Just in case? :P

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:00 pm 

Funny,

I've downgraded. I am hoping by removing the "I want better" that sometimes comes with buying higher end and (instead) being happy with something modest, I'll stop my crazy acquisitions.

I went out and bought some darn cheap speakers (the guy in the store said "you won't like those") - I think they sound pretty good all things considering. I went out and bought a very modest amp, cd player, phono stage, and turntable (all from Parts Connexion) at a pretty bargain basement price (IMO)- and, well - I've surprised myself.

I may just have stumbled upon something, it all sounds quite good together and I've freed up a lot of $.

I will say it was hard, especially since "upgraded" versions were not much more - i.e. going to dual mono designed amp instead of the simpler version. Buying the cheaper phono stage and turntable instead of, well - the supposed better one, etc...

I made it sort of like a game, how much can I save while buying pieces that I've tried in the past that I know sounded not half bad. What wound happen when I put these all together with decent wires, cables and such?

If it works - and I stop upgrading, I might just end up happier - and, a bit richer ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
Vintage tube amps and DIY preamps and DIY phono stages sound so good there's no need to buy anything new. Recapped Krells are good for a few decades. Per my high end amp tech there's no upside to a new Krell, but only long term downside since maintenance is next to impossible. New would be a DAC, CD/BR player, streamer, etc.

Tom, how far back does one have to go in the Krell catalogue before they become “maintainable”? I recently turned down what I suspect was a great deal on a FPB200 because of its complexity and difficulty to service. This baby is about 20 years old now so are you referring to the REALLY old stuff like the KMA series? Btw, I loved my old KMA100s, but I’m not sure my memory of them would stand up to listening against “modern” amps. Curious to know where the sweet spot in their lineup was....

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 am 
Premium User

I'm not biting. I still have a phono cable, DAC and Phono stage to upgrade this year & then I'm done for awhile. Come back next year & I'll sign up if there's a free toaster. :lol:

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:36 am 

I go through phases with audio.

I have not changed anything since last July when I completed my latest DIY speakers.

Having bought a new toy car, most of my $ and effort is going that way these days.

Ask me in the Fall when I have to store it!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm 

I've been thinking about this for awhile lately, about challenging myself to leave well enough alone. I do find it very difficult and seem to change something out every few months. Most of my moves are lateral, but I'm OK with that as I enjoy mixing it up and the search for the synergy. But (yet again), I think I'm pretty close to my subjective sound preference, and I'm hoping for a desired result once my old speakers are recapped later this week (1979 B&W DM5). I think the only thing that could foil a six month commitment would be the acquisition of a different tuner. I have a few models in mind, and may have to jump if available. But the thought of taking a break from it all is quite appealing, as I am actually feeling a little burned out with it all lately. Good that Spring and Summer are here, other activities to distract me from audio for awhile.