Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: yamaha vs anthem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 pm 

Hi all, need some advice--- I use a yamaha rvx 1700 avr (12 years old now) but only the internal dac is of concern to me, as the front LR preout is connected to my bryston 4b sst amp. it actually sounds pretty good for music(my main concern, but I dont have $ or space for separates so it has to be avr)... But... I've been looking at the anthem mrx 720 avr, thinking its internal dac, perhaps 8 years newer tech, will bring significant improvement to sound quality...So will there be a noticable improvement? opinions?

Post subject: Re: yamaha vs anthem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:04 pm 
Premium User

glennsmith999 wrote:
Hi all, need some advice--- I use a yamaha rvx 1700 avr (12 years old now) but only the internal dac is of concern to me, as the front LR preout is connected to my bryston 4b sst amp. it actually sounds pretty good for music(my main concern, but I dont have $ or space for separates so it has to be avr)... But... I've been looking at the anthem mrx 720 avr, thinking its internal dac, perhaps 8 years newer tech, will bring significant improvement to sound quality...So will there be a noticable improvement? opinions?

Would be a better idea to go with a Processor. Unless budget is a concern than yes 720 will be better. AVM60 would work better than the 720 tho...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:35 pm 

I think the av 60 has same akm 4458 dac chips as the mrx line, though other parts would / should be superior, so a good suggestion.
Unfortunately, I dont have physical room for a pre processor added on to my avr and amp anyway. so it's either do nothing for now until my space limitations change (that could be never...) or upgrade / replace the avr.
My main concern is whether the 720 will be enough of an upgrade in digital to analogue processing to be a noticeable improvement over the older yamaha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:58 pm 

glennsmith999 wrote:
I think the av 60 has same akm 4458 dac chips as the mrx line, though other parts would / should be superior, so a good suggestion.
Unfortunately, I dont have physical room for a pre processor added on to my avr and amp anyway. so it's either do nothing for now until my space limitations change (that could be never...) or upgrade / replace the avr.
My main concern is whether the 720 will be enough of an upgrade in digital to analogue processing to be a noticeable improvement over the older yamaha.

I would venture a guess and say yes. The Anthem receivers and processors have some really nice dacs. I can’t imagine that a 12 year old Yamaha could best them. An alternative is an outboard dac for the Yamaha but you may have to spend a fair bit to approach he level of the Anthem internal dac. Plus you now have another component which you are trying to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm 

That's what I figure, but still nice to get everyone's opinions. So I took the plunge and bought the anthem today. Should have it by Thursday evening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:53 pm 

Please let us know the results, I'm in the same situation and it would be nice to get a first hand opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 am 

I also have the old RX-V1700 and in a need of an upgrade. Let us know how the Anthem compares.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 am 

You will have no regrets with anthem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm 

So, it has been a week ... first impressions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:02 pm 

A busy week, but let's see...

The anthem sound is definitely less edgy relative to the yamaha straight out of box, but especially so once using the arc, which sounds fantastic after some experimentation / tweaking. So I am definitely happy ---it cost twice as much so I better be happy!

Of course the 720 has several modern features vs the yam 1700 that I was also wanting. The dts playfi is fun, as I'm able to wirelessly access my hardrive files, internet radio and spotify and control with cellphone, and it will give me flex in wireless speaker choice too.

My only semi-gripe is the user manual is incredibly sparse on detail (eg doesn't even include specs) vs the yamaha, which slowed down my learning curve (had to google etc to clarify several things eg took me a while to figure out how to get playfi to access my media files); there are still some menu options I don't really understand because the manual doesn't fully / clearly explain; I'll eventually figure out those peripheral details; as of now, none are stopping my listening enjoyment.