Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm 

Let's recap. You bought a pair of 804's. But you haven't hooked them up and tried them. Instead you are listening to some old Ratshack speakers. And you're posting here asking what to do. WTF is wrong with this picture? Anybody? Anybody? More recommendations? Some Magico's maybe? I need the vacation and the tractor FFS....... :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 pm 

The OP said he was "green" to this hobby.No disrespect to the OP but maybe he doesn't realize what he has with the B&W's.

I'd say you have a pretty nice system with the B&W speaks and the Lux Receiver.I wouldn't kick them out of the living Room for playing Dolly Parton,to paraphrase an old adage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 pm 

Please dont recap as it makes me look foolish.
I tend to collect in multipules.
My intention was to buy a more powerful receiver for the 804's as that is what I have been lead to believe would perform best...
When I bought the Luxman because I always wanted one when I was in high school... I thought I would look for suggestions on what speakers to match up best. One post suggested English made speakers which was when I mentioned that I had B&W matrix 804 speakers. I am open to hooking them up to the Luxman, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.
I'm still interested in another pair of speakers for the Luxman.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm 

I would be seriously considering these if I were in your position. Perhaps the price is a little bit high, particularly considering the grills are missing, but they are excellent vintage speakers if that's what you're in the market for.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... er-system/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 am 

If it's floor standers you're after, then these Tannoy Arundel's are an outstanding deal for $1,400: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649371831-gorgeous-tannoy-15-in-custom-cabinet-price-to-go/

Impedance: 8Ω
Frequency response: 32Hz-20kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 am 

Deluxe20 wrote:
My intention was to buy a more powerful receiver for the 804's as that is what I have been lead to believe would perform best...
When I bought the Luxman because I always wanted one when I was in high school... I thought I would look for suggestions on what speakers to match up best. One post suggested English made speakers which was when I mentioned that I had B&W matrix 804 speakers. I am open to hooking them up to the Luxman, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

ouch! Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Prosoundman wrote:
Dear sthomas,
Budget was quoted as the price of a vacation. The Contenders I have in mind are previously owned and going for a fraction of their original MSRP.

Define vacation? A $100 camping trip is technically a vacation - just as a week in Monaco to watch the GP is at $20k per night. But the OP did detail his budget to be under $1000.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48480&start=0#p768617

My Kef 104AB speakers have a crossover network that is easily accessed from the front of the speaker cabinet. Yet, I have had no need to replace the caps yet. My JBL L36 need the presence and brilliant pots cleaned which is also easy to access from the front. B&W usually have the crossover sitting on the bottom of the speaker so remove some foam or lambs wool (earlier B&W) and you can replace the caps easily enough. I have not had to do this with most vintage speakers I have owned. However, I realise if I did there would some improvement in the sound.

It's only when you compare that you notice. I guess keeping my speakers all original has worked out most of the time. I always make sure to tighten drivers against the front baffle. That's easy to do and it does make a diff in imaging, bottom end detail etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 am 

AJCall wrote:
Deluxe20 wrote:

ouch! Sorry.

Don't apologize. I was just teasing when I said "please don't recap"... i should have added an lol... my fault. I have gained something out of everyone's posts so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:06 pm 

dickard wrote:
I would be seriously considering these if I were in your position. Perhaps the price is a little bit high, particularly considering the grills are missing, but they are excellent vintage speakers if that's what you're in the market for.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... er-system/

ADS L-1290/2 Tower 3-way Speakers are on the map... I am wondering if they are a little too similar to my B&W matrix 804's... in that they like powerful amps to bring them to life?
I also see a set of Altec Stonehenge 1 for sale that I like the vintage look of but don't know how well they will perform... anyone familiar?
I'm still like the KEF 104's as well.
I also noticed Klipsch RP280F that are newer but the horn gives them a vintage appeal with veneered cabinets...
I find something I like in every recommended speaker... It will come down to condition and price as it does for the most part. I could return all the Christmas presents and buy more speakers for the family... My obituary would read... man bludgeoned by speakers on Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:20 pm 

Deluxe20 wrote:
I tend to collect in multiples.

When it comes to loudspeakers the golden rule is get more power than you think you'll need.
The nice thing about the R-1070 is the Pre-Mains in/out, to allow for flexibility such as an outboard amplifier..,
If you are looking for other alternatives in speakers, and as you realize that a choice of speakers is truly a personal choice. Noting that this string also contains suggestions for different technology speakers such as Electrostat and Planar speakers.
Your Lux may drive these speakers but not as well as the speakers deserve, IMO.
Since most of the speakers mentioned are "ported" design, I'd recommend a sealed cabinet, or ideally a Transmission-Line {provided you can find one at reasonable price, as you noted earlier} like IMF TLS, the addition of a sealed sub like that SuperCube will help solidify any misgiving about any shortcomings of power from the Luxman.., but you might not need it with the Transmission-Line.., just more power :wink:
You might also note that speaker efficiency will be an important point in overall result. Personally speaking, I tend to shy away from speakers that have an efficiency rating higher than 90dB.
What speaker cables will you be using? Have you tried different cables and interconnects?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 pm 

I have some 12 gauge and 14 gauge speaker wire. I bought some banana plugs to connect the speakers and have to track down some banana pin connects for the amp and will bi wire. In the past I have just connected the wire to the speaker connects.
I work away from the house through the week and haven't had a chance to play with this set up yet. I have some time off at Christmas to play around with different combinations.
You didn't have to try to hard to give me another reason to purchase a supercube 6000... but I"m thinking there might be a better discount on Boxing Day.

I'm still all over the place on the speakers to buy. I like the look of vintage, but fear the potential maintenance of vintage. As the suggestions come in I notice that people rarely recommend the same speaker.

Thanks for your continued input and suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 pm 

There is no simple answer or suggestion for your situation. If I were you, I would take the receiver to the store selling the particular speakers of your choice.
I will ask to have it hooked up to the pair and then listen.

Take music you are really familiar with, including some piano based music (Yanni, Elton John) as well as some well recorded music of your choice.
The best speaker would sound just right in all aspects, bass, midrange and the highs.

But if you feel it sounds great in one area but poor in others, move on. The right speakers would creat a perfectly dynamic, musical and highly focused sound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:59 pm 

I would like to do test drive speakers... I'm trying to take advantage of depreciation by buying speakers second hand affording me speakers that I wouldn't normally be able to afford. I love the warmth of wood so I'm looking for veneered wood cabinets. Most of what I'm willing to pay new tends to be black cabinets. I'm on a troubled quest... but hope to find some kind of resolution with a nice pair of speakers before Christmas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:26 am 

No affiliation with the seller but these do check all the right boxes in what you are looking for.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -speakers/

Good friend owns the bookshelf version of these paired with a 40 watt NAD – sounds great!

And to note – you will be challenged with auditioning used speakers for not all sellers are willing to allow. Not to mention, their equipment and environment will be different than yours. Best of luck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

I understand that it will be challenging to hear the speakers. I like this site as people have been reviewed and everyone that is taking the time to respond have been helpful. I am closer to making a purchase... just don't know what I'm going to buy yet. I have next week to concentrate a little more on this. Thanks for continuing to post with advice. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next