Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 pm 

hi there, I am somewhat new to fussing with audio equipment although well experienced with listening to music.
I picked up a pair of Mirage 390si towers & pair of Paradigm 11se mkII towers for way too cheap today. I am going to have to give up one of the pairs (due to lack of space). I really like the sound of both pairs, the Mirages are a much smaller speaker than the paradigms and don't have the same power capabilities but have a great sound. I am finding it hard to compare the two knowing one has got to go, I was hoping some people could throw some opinions my way.

the paradigms have 2x 8" drivers and a tweeter, 3 ports on the back
4 ohm impedance
160w max

and here is some info i found on the mirages:
System Type - 2-Way Forward Radiating Floorstanding Speaker
Frequency Response - 35Hz~22KHz +/- 3dB
Tweeter - Single 1" Vapour Deposited Titanium Dome
Midrange/Woofer - Single 6-1/2" Polypropylene Cone
X-Over Points - 1.8 Khz
Room Efficiency 89dB
Nomimal Impedance - 8 Ohms
Minimum Impedance - 4 Ohms
Maximum Power Handling - 125 Watts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:32 am 

Welcome to CAM!

Expect a number of replies and opinions, and you can read them till you're dizzy.......

The ONLY thing that matters is what YOU hear, and the one you like better between the two - from your description, it sounds like you prefer the Mirage......

Happy listening! 8)

Post subject: mirage vs Paradigm
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:48 am 

I would first inquire if there are still replacement parts for each speaker if you plan on keeping them for the long haul.Keep the one that there are still replacement parts for.
Some manufacturers have run out of replacement woofers and tweeters, so if one tweeter goes or the foam surrounds rot, what you have to spend and what you get might not make that speaker such a deal.
If you can turn a profit by selling both pairs, you might be better off buying a speaker that is more up to date and that performs better.
If none of this is suitable to you or not worth worrying about(you will flip the pair you keep)keep the one that sounds the best,and keep your fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:55 am 

Great advice from cableguy and Chuck Lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:32 am 

cableguy wrote:
Welcome to CAM!

Expect a number of replies and opinions, and you can read them till you're dizzy.......

The ONLY thing that matters is what YOU hear, and the one you like better between the two - from your description, it sounds like you prefer the Mirage......

Happy listening! 8)

This is very good advice.Trust yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:12 pm 

I kinda figured i would get the what sounds best to you is best for you type of advice , I generally go by that rule but this time they both sound great in different ways. Luckily the 3rd pair of speakers i picked up yesterday just didn't come close to what i wanted to hear

I find it an interesting idea figuring out which ones still have replacement parts, although these don't have the foam surrounds and i am fairly gentle on my speakers.

I suppose i will just keep them both for a bit and set them up a bit better and play different stuff and swap up every once in a while.

i am curious about what people think of mirage vs paradigms, I have heard a lot of crap talk about paradigms and not so much about mirage. I use a pair of paradigm control monitors and have had record enthusiasts come by & talk crap about the brand and one dude thought sansui sp300 floor speakers would be better?? I don't get it they sound pretty good to me, and my Sansui speakers have a unique sound but are definetly missing something. perhaps it's all in what you are listening to how they are set up the media type the amp and on and on ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 am 

Mirage was the TOTL brand from Audio Products International. Mirage speakers were designed with a little more of an ear for audiophile sound values, and an eye for audio stores not box stores, than other lines from API like Sound Dynamics and Energy. One of the better Mirage speakers made it fairly high in the Stereophile list IIRC, higher than any other API brand's offerings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 am 

My personal opinion on the 2 products in question - in that era, Mirage was a more musical product whereas the Paradigm was a "boosted" product - plumped up bass and extended top end.

The 390's were a classic 2 way design that did a lot of things right - sounds like that's what you're hearing.

The Paradigm's played loud and clean, I used to use a pair to DJ house parties.

One is not better than the other, just different.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 am 

that's pretty much it!

when switching from the paradigms to the Mirages i find the Mirages are much quieter and seemingly lacking bass, but if i turn the volume up a bit and the bass eq up a tad the sound comes together quit nicely. then when i switch back to the paradigms the bass needs to be cut back to 0 and the whole over all sound seems to be much louder but it seems like less separation between instruments or different sounds in the music.I like both speakers in different ways but I think i am going to stick with the mirages, one thing i do know is that they are much smaller possibly a 3rd of the size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:48 pm 

I recently had the same choice to make. I had a pair of Mirage 390i and Paradigm 9se. Two totally different sounding speakers.
I found the Paradigms to be a speaker better for movies and loud music for a party or something.
The Mirage speakers had more finesse and do not fatigue the ear. They were more layed back and sounded very smooth. So i went for the mirage over the paradigm for those reasons.
Thats just my opinion being more of an audiophile than a movie maniac.
Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 pm 

I did end up getting rid of the paradigms. The mirages seemed to have a lot more clarity but now that some time has past, I do notice that the lack of deeper bass (this could partially be my amp & positioning) kind of makes me feel like something is missing. Since i do like the sound so much i will probably keep my eyes open for another pair similar to this with an 8" driver and then see how that goes but for now i am enjoying the Mirages!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:42 pm 

your best bet would be to add a subwoofer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:39 pm 

If you find a set of 490's, they'd fit the bill quite nicely, otherwise, I'll second the idea of adding a quality sub - Angstrom's ALFT8 is a very musical sub, and would match nicely with the 390's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 pm 

thanks for the advice on the sub, I am not fully convinced a sub would work well with the way i have my room set up, but perhaps i will give it a try and maybe keep an eye open for the ALFT8 or find something similiar, but for the meantime I will be playing with a pair of Leaks i just picked up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 pm 

thanks for the advice on the sub, I am not fully convinced a sub would work well with the way i have my room set up, but perhaps i will give it a try and maybe keep an eye open for the ALFT8 or find something similiar, but for the meantime I will be playing with a pair of Leaks i just picked up :D