Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 pm 

Looks pretty interesting, I have never ordered music by mail (except a disastrous and fraudulent relationship with columbia house when I was a kid - I think I might have single handedly bankrupted that company. Ah yes, my first aliases, memories, sweet memories. I wonder if mom ever figured out why I was so anxious to go get the mail all the time?)
Anyways, these guys look like the real deal, anyone ordered from them?

http://sundazed.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:52 am 

I have bought from them several times over the yearsSuper people and great records.You can find their records though at HMV and other retail outlets, although usually cheaper just to order them directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 am 

I've never bought direct from Sundazed, but have acquired several of the Dylan mono reissues locally. Very impressive sound and reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:55 am 

denon-guy wrote:
Looks pretty interesting, I have never ordered music by mail (except a disastrous and fraudulent relationship with columbia house when I was a kid - I think I might have single handedly bankrupted that company. Ah yes, my first aliases, memories, sweet memories. I wonder if mom ever figured out why I was so anxious to go get the mail all the time?)

Sundazed records aren't rare at all - they're reissues of classic (and sometimes rare) albums, but they themselves aren't rare at all.

Gav

Post subject: Sundazed Rocks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:42 am 

Great company. Excellent selections and very nice sound quality. You will have fun with this discovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:19 pm 

I am all set for my TT, but their offer of three free records with the purchase of a music hall TT seems pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:46 pm 

I've had good experiences with sundazed. They really seem to love the product too, that's always nice. I'm wondering about that turntable too, I'm in the market. Anyone know if they are cheaper locally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:54 pm 

denon-guy, why buy a mail order TT when there are local options that give setup, support and advice.
As far as Sundazed are concerned, you can pick them up locally at shops such as Melodia.
Sundaze qualityis mixed, I had both good and bad pressings.
Good luck,
Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:03 pm 

Quote:
music hall TT

I have an MMF 5 ... great table but you must isolate it on something completely rock solid to get the best.

It will do until I can afford VPI Scoutmaster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm 

Resurrecting an old thread. I'd read an article awhile ago regarding the high quality of Sundazed Records so when I saw this one in a local store today I thought I'd take a chance as they boast of pressing from the original master tape.

Sound is top notch and sounds like it was probably mastered from the orig tapes. Pressing looks like it was probably done by Quality Records as it has their inner sleeve. The weight is only about 120-140g and it has a fairly good size warp (edit - more a dish in the label area) that the record clamp is making more tolerable & the RB250 & AT440mla are tracking perfectly. The vinyl is dead silent.

In spite of the warp I highly recommend this lp.

What's your experience with Sundazed Records? Name your keepers and dogs here if you'd like.

FWIW $27++ full retail.

Attachments:
R-1363550-1388883340-1154.jpeg.jpg
R-1363550-1388883340-1154.jpeg.jpg [ 107.23 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/DV20X2H/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Dacmagic 100/Exposure 2010S2/AS Testaments/PSB GT1's
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:07 am 

Perhaps you could clear something up for me. The label on the Johnny Cash album reads Columbia, where does the Sundazed come in? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 am 

denon-guy wrote:

If you want to listen to their comprehensive music catalog you need to go to Spotify and on the search bar type in Sundazed Record. You should be able to listen to all the albums that they had released since 1989, which includes Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Captain Beefheart, Al Kooper, The Byrds just to name a few early recordings from the 60's. You had better take few weeks off and cases of beer handy to keep you warm before listening to it because it'll take you a while before you get through all the albums.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am 

Lots (maybe most or even all, I'm not sure) of the Sundazed stuff is in mono so will benefit greatly from a mono cartridge or, at the minimum, summing or a mono switch on your preamp.

Some of it will be cut from master tapes, but not all apparently so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

All the Sundazed stuff I have or have had is mono. Booker T's Green Onions and Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow are both very good, although I've never compared them to originals.

The early John Mayall Bluesbreakers records (I have Hard Road and the Beano record) are also quite good. Hard Road has better sound quality IMO and both are IMO better than early Canadian pressings on the London label but may well be bettered by UK original Deccas, either stereo or mono. But those will cost you and not be particularly easy to find in good condition.

Same with the early Dylan stuff in terms of originals. I gave up after a while. I had a bunch of the Sundazed Dylans and they were ok, but I find the Music on Vinyl European versions, or the Sony Legacy mono reissues, which are one and the same and the same as those in the Dylan mono box set, to be quite a bit better for the same amount of money. They are dirt cheap for what you are getting in terms of chasing originals. So I traded those Sundazed Dylans back in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am 

Blake wrote:
Lots (maybe most or even all, I'm not sure) of the Sundazed stuff is in mono so will benefit greatly from a mono cartridge or, at the minimum, summing or a mono switch on your preamp.

Some of it will be cut from master tapes, but not all apparently so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

All the Sundazed stuff I have or have had is mono. Booker T's Green Onions and Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow are both very good, although I've never compared them to originals.

The early John Mayall Bluesbreakers records (I have Hard Road and the Beano record) are also quite good. Hard Road has better sound quality IMO and both are IMO better than early Canadian pressings on the London label but may well be bettered by UK original Deccas, either stereo or mono. But those will cost you and not be particularly easy to find in good condition.

Same with the early Dylan stuff in terms of originals. I gave up after a while. I had a bunch of the Sundazed Dylans and they were ok, but I find the Music on Vinyl European versions, or the Sony Legacy mono reissues, which are one and the same and the same as those in the Dylan mono box set, to be quite a bit better for the same amount of money. They are dirt cheap for what you are getting in terms of chasing originals. So I traded those Sundazed Dylans back in.

Agreed. As most of the recordings that were released from the 50's were monos but most of the late recordings from the 60's and all of the 70's were definitely in stereo. I would say that the content of the Sundazed Recordings catalog is about 40% monos and the rest were in stereo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am 

joe mandel wrote:
Perhaps you could clear something up for me. The label on the Johnny Cash album reads Columbia, where does the Sundazed come in? Thanks in advance.

They are reissuing classic mono & stero records using original master tapes (according to the sticker on the outer bag). I only have the one but impressed for the $.

Ariston RD 11 Superieur/Rega RB250 w Michell Tecnoweight/DV20X2H/Lounge Audio LCR MkIII/Dacmagic 100/Exposure 2010S2/AS Testaments/PSB GT1's