Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Belden or Canare?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:21 am 

Looking to make some of my own cables, but don't know whether to go with Canare 4S11, or Belden 5000UE. I've opted for these two based on how easy they are to get, and that they are considered solid performers.

Any benefit to one over the other from anyones experience?

Thks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 am 

Hi Hula,

I fooled around with both not that long ago, for the few extra bucks I was happier with DH Labs

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 am 

audiophile-4-life wrote:
Hi Hula,

I fooled around with both not that long ago, for the few extra bucks I was happier with DH Labs

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html

Can you provide a why? I imagine the sound was simply more appealing to you with this product, but dont' want to assume it was this alone. Was the construction/quality better with DHLabs, or simply personal preference?

I will check them out though! Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:08 pm 

Hi Hula,

You mentioned that these cables are easy to get. I know they are both available at Blue Jeans cable, and at http://www.markertek.com/ but I am looking for someplace in Canada.

Do you know of a place in Canada where you can buy this cable in bulk?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:17 pm 

Sorry...no. I was thinking Blue Jeans Cable myself, but would love to find something more local.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:27 pm 

Tanaks wrote:
Hi Hula,

You mentioned that these cables are easy to get. I know they are both available at Blue Jeans cable, and at http://www.markertek.com/ but I am looking for someplace in Canada.

Do you know of a place in Canada where you can buy this cable in bulk?

Thanks.

Gene at TakeFive Audio http://www.takefiveaudio.com/ sells both Belden and Canare.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:16 pm 

Hula,

The DH stuff has better shielding, and is more substantial (they also sell really good connectors for a reasonable price). I do like DH cables as they seem to not add or subtract anything, about as neutral as you can get. Reasonably priced too :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:29 pm 

I use the Star Quad bi-wire, purchased from BJ at around a buck a foot, unterminated, (as recommended by BJ). Like most I doubt I could tell one cable from another soundwise. It's really limp which is nice for me as I run a rekatively long run (~26')under the floor through the basement rafters. As far as shielding goes and the other discussion about long IC vs long speaker wire,, BJ refers to a long speaker run as 'hundreds of feet' as in commerical use. Their position is the iC needs shielding much more than the speaker wire due to the signal strength, unless you are in a really bad area for interference it shouldnt be a big problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:13 pm 

I've used the Canare StarQuad and a whole bunch of Belden cables to make make various ICs and frankly think that they are both solid products.

The terminations, IMO, are more important.

Post subject: canare
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:44 pm 

The canare is working fine as a 15 foot long IC even using cheap circuit city rcas.
I compared this wire when I was using it with a shure 58 mic and using the better Neutrik xlrs. The sound of this configuration wasn't any better or worse than a Belden cable with cheap Switchcraft connectors.
I boasted to my band mates that my mic would have a better sound,but it didn't.
But then things could be different in an audio system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 pm 

I use Neutrik XLRs as well, and unfortunately, all Neutrik XLR connectors, AFAIK, are made from cheap brass.

I will try the Vampire copper XLRs that Take5 sells for $15 per pair and see how they sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:21 pm 

I've got interconnects in two systems made from Canare StarQuad, Mogami 2534 Neglex, and DH Labs Pro Studio.

Lengths range from 2 to 12 feet: balanced with both Neutrik and Vampire XLRs and single-ended with Eichmann copper bullet plugs, Cardas and Neutrik ProFi RCAs. I've also got a pair of green Bryston balanced interonnects with Neutrik XLRs, though I don't know what kind of wire.

Now I've not done any kind of careful A-B comparison, double-blind or otherwise, but I haven't noticed any difference.

Before you either dismiss or accept my indifference, I've also got a 1-metre pair of balanced Cardas Golden Cross, which, if I remember correctly, retailed for somewhere between $500 and $700. They've replaced the Mogami and the Bryston that I was using between DAC and preamp, but, again, I haven't noticed any difference.

I may just have too much wax in my ears or lousy components, but the result is I don't worry to much about ICs any more. Decent pro-audio wire with quality connectors assembled with care is fine, whether Belden, Canare, Mogami or DH Labs.

Just my take on it....

Regards,

Joel.

Post subject: making balancec IC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 pm 

Hi everyone,
can someone point me to a good website with step-by-step instructions to making interconnects? i'm thinking of making my own set of XLR cables and not sure where to start.

as well, does anyone know of a good canadian equivalent to Blue Jeans Cables?

thanks