Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: Damaged speakers.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 pm 

First off, I have been using CAM and have had nothing but praise for everyone involved. I take pride in my online transactions, have always paid promptly and have had no problems...UNTIL NOW. I recently found a pair of Verity Audio Tamino Monitors from Dimitri Johannisse in Montreal. We worked out a fair deal on the price and I payed by Paypal. I recieved the speakers and noticed that the packaging seem very poorly done. I proceeded to open the box,and to my horror, both speakers had significant damage. The tweeter on one was completely pushed in an the finish on the other was scratched. Obviously this was due to the bad packing at the other end. He had used bubble wrap and panel board?!?!?!? to pack the speakers. I confronted him with an email expressing my concern and to work something out but he completely shut me down and ignored further emails.

I proceeded to give him negative feedback because these problems were obviously due to negligence on the sellers end and I was getting nowhere by trying to resolve with the seller. He had the nerve to give negative feedback on an item that I sold to someone else!!!! This guy is a real gem. Please pay attention to this so that no one else has to go through this and spend their hard earned money only to be ripped off. I have definately learned my lesson with buying used gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:31 pm 

Try and file a Paypal complaint against the seller.

If you paid with a credit card, you can try and contact your CC company and explain the situation.

Post subject: Re: Damaged speakers.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:53 am 

supercj wrote:
He had the nerve to give negative feedback on an item that I sold to someone else!!!! This guy is a real gem. Please pay attention to this so that no one else has to go through this and spend their hard earned money only to be ripped off. I have definately learned my lesson with buying used gear.

Try contacting admin to have that feedback removed. Maybe that guy can be banned as well.
At least you can put a response below the feedback about what actually happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:03 am 

Man that sucks!! If your story is true, it's too bad that your on the west coast. Shoddy packing, then takes no responsibility, he deserves a visit...

Applebook gives good advice. My visa will do a charge back within 30 days of the transaction.

If you get your money back from your cc, make sure he pays for return shipping and ship them back in the same boxes and packing. They should be even more damaged by the time he receives them. See how he likes it.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:06 am 

I had a similiar incident with another Montreal area CAM user...I received a Revox turntable by Post that was packed in a box no larger than the unit itself,no packing around it..One drop and it would have been toast.

Luckily no damage but I told him about his poor packing and he defended himself that he has never had any damage packing items that way and shipping by Canada Post...Lucky guy I say,but that will run out...

I am beginning to think the Quebecois are using the same twit to do their packing for them or they just plead complete ignorance

I am sorry to see the seller will not respond to your e-mails...there seems to be a bunch of them in Montreal who work together at buying and selling (flipping) on CAM...

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:25 am 

that Dimitri guy is a real piece of work,bought a black LP-12 off him , well it was painted black with a spray can and the arm was shot....no mention of this in the post for the table......he told me that I was wrong that the arm was fine and he did not believe me that the plinth has been painted with spray paint offered to send me a 100.00 back, never did......
Well it's the cost of education in the end
One day our paths will cross again it's a small world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:32 am 

Next time, pls take a picture before opening the package. That will serve as your proof. Anyways, not too late for pictures. Some sellers just don't give a damn after they get the $$$$. That sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:19 am 

Good News - for every knuckle head like this guy, there are 10 great sellers here on CAM that care and go out of their way too help and make things work. Don't give up on buying used and buying from CAM members. I've had limited experience buying here (all Good) but have read many good responses about buyers and sellers on CAM.

Post subject: Re: Damaged speakers.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:48 am 

supercj wrote:
. . . I confronted him with an email expressing my concern and to work something out but he completely shut me down and ignored further emails. Please pay attention to this so that no one else has to go through this and spend their hard earned money only to be ripped off. I have definitely learned my lesson with buying used gear.

Same thing happened to me. I bought four power amps and they all arrived damaged. I could say poor packaging, but there little to nothing protecting the amps in the box. Contacted the seller, received an initial reply but nothing afterwards. Fortunately, he's not too far away, Thunder Bay Ontario, and I will be filing Small Claims Court Action. It will have the Court date set for during my summer holidays.

I have filed Ontario Small Claims Court Actions in the past for items damaged in shipping and have had very good / 95% results in recapturing both my money and any expenses incurred.

No integrity left in society today . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 am 

I have started a Paypal claim against Dimitri. Not sure if it will result in anything.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm 

supercj wrote:
I have started a Paypal claim against Dimitri. Not sure if it will result in anything.....

I once attempted a claim through PayPal; my advice to you is not to close the claim until you have the funds in your hand. Once the buyer and seller agree, on a settlement, PayPal closes the claim and it cannot be re-opened even if the seller decides not to refund after agreeing to the settlement.

PayPal offers no security for any transaction; they are only a means to transfer funds between buyers and sellers alike. They have yet to pay out on one fraud claim where a buyer was scammed. They openly state on their website "buyers beware”.

The only sure-fire method I have found is to use one's credit card through PayPal. Sellers do not like this as they are charged back the credit card fees. RBC Visa has come through for me on two occasions when PayPal failed. Rest assured, PayPal did not like the credit card charge back and subsequently withdrew the funds from my bank account without authorization. RBC was very quick to settle that matter for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:18 pm 

Is it my imagination, or are there more complaints of shaddy characters, scam sales and other poor online dealings lately here on CAM as well as AGON?

Some of the rules that I have made for myself after my first AGON deal which wasn't such a good deal after all...

1. I try to buy/sell local so that I can demo the gear in question.
2. Failing buying local, I only buy from members who are active on the CAM or AGON Forums as well, I check their contributions to see if I feel comfortable dealing with them. If I can't find any contributions, I'll quietly ask if anyone knows them or has done business with them. I won't buy from Ebay.
3. Cash deal for local, or Paypal using my credit card for the non-local.
4. Buy from a reputable dealer - new or demo.

No exceptions.

I use the same handle here as well as on AGON and let any potential buyer/seller know this so they can check my threads and feedback.

I've managed to buy my current speakers, amps, pre, and step-up all locally. When I am lusting after some gear, patience is the key.

I don't wish to offended anyone, but this is the sad reality of dealing online.

Cheers,
Richard

Verdier La Platine. SME 3012 R. Ortofon Jubilee. Audio Note AN-S2 SUT. Dynavector DV-505, Denon 103 R. Denon 340 AU SUT/Klangfilm SUT. Audio Note M6 phono pre, Audio Note P4 Mono blocks, Ocellia Celia Silver Speakers, Auditorium 23 cables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 am 

I have alerted the buyer of the speakers that Dimitri Johannisse gave the false negative feedback on. He is trying to get it removed. Anyone have any idea how I would go about doing this? I just want this false negative feedback on me taken off. If anyone has any idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:18 am 

Quote:
I am beginning to think the Quebecois are using the same twit to do their packing for them or they just plead complete ignorance

My packing methods are more than adequate, to the point of overkill. Don't generalize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:51 am 

i sold a hk reciever for 5.50. it was working when i sent it. the person started colpaining 2 days after i sent it. they said it was late. they finally got it said my packing was bad. i double box and use bubble wrap. they gave me a neg even after i offered to buy it back.