Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Morrison audio fans?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 pm 

I have been fascinated lately with omni directional designs. Are there any morrison audio or omni-directional fans on CAM. I know forward firing laser imaging designs are the sacred cow here but do omni's have any fans.
http://www.morrisonaudio.com

marc mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 pm 

indeed there are fans out there...Don's designs have been around for a while. They are some of the nicest..eyes closed sounds available. There is something about speakers that refuse to be "found" in the room but give full spectrum and unobtrusive warmth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 pm 

I have always wanted to hear these speakers. If any CAM subscribers in the GTA, who own the speakers, would be prepared to offer a listening session, I'll bring the beer!

Please PM me, or make a public invite here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:50 pm 

If I understand things right the new Blue Circle speaker "Penny" is an omni design, based on the Walsh driver (Ohm).It starts at $4,700.
If the ad copy is to be believed it should sound pretty good. Its got me interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:06 pm 

I used to own a pair of Morrison model ones back in the early nineties. I have already posted my hard luck story concerning these speakers in an earlier post so I won.t rehash the whole affair here. I will say that those speakers excelled in certain areas of reproduction that were in my opinion, unparalleled when compared to any speaker that I had heard previous to or since owning the Morrisons. This included their ability to virtually disappear when playing music producing a three dimensional soundstage second to none. They also had a naturalness to their sound that was eerie. There was however some serious drawbacks to their performance that I just couldn't get around. First, they were extremely sensitive to placement within the listening room. More so than any other speaker I have owned. Second, getting any real bass or volume level from them was almost impossible, and thirdly related to the second point if you tried to play any type of music that wasn't acoustic based or small ensemble at any sort of volume resembling natural levels they were extremely prone to catastrophic failure. I know this from experience having blown three tweeters in a matter of a few months. There was virtually no crossover between the drivers, not even a resister , so the tweeter ran full out full range. Produced great sound, but with disasterous results.I have always been fond of omni directional speakers however, and have owned several including what I was told by my dealer to be the first pair of Martin Logan Quests sold in Canada. I now own Mirage OM series speakers and will probably own some type of omni directional or bi-polar speakers again. I notice on line recently that Morrison still produces loudspeakers among other things, but seem to have no dealer support. They didn't have much back then. I would certainly like the oppurtunity to hear these latest offerings to see if they still posses all of the old attributes and to see if they have addressed the shortcomings of the earlier designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:18 pm 

Don lives in the GTA area. Remarkable gentleman. Intelligent. Opinionated. (and generally right). Personable.

The speakers are nothing short of amazing. A well thought out product. Well executed. A working (virtual) point source. Argueably the best box based bass in the business. And Absolute Sound considers it the best imaging speaker in the world.

The speakers are accurate and real instruments will sound like real instruments in real space. Dynamics and volume level favour the real rather than the headbanger variety, (but are hardly a slouch in those departments.) Don is picky about customers because he prefers that his products will satisfy and bring joy to those who love music rather than those who chase sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:43 pm 

GlenW wrote:
The speakers are nothing short of amazing. A well thought out product. Well executed. A working (virtual) point source. Argueably the best box based bass in the business. And Absolute Sound considers it the best imaging speaker in the world.

I am not suggesting that they are not good speakers, but just because Absolute Sound considers it the best imaging speakers in the world doesn't make it so.

First of all the world is a pretty big place and Absolute Sound haven't heard every speaker manufactured all over the world for them to make such an outrageous statement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:11 pm 

GlenW I don't know if some of your comments are directed at what I posted or just general comments in regards to Morrison and his products. I would just like to clarify that I was absolutely enamored with these speakers for the amount of time that I owned them. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the Morrison loudspeakers. The illusion of depth of soundfield that these speakers created was astounding, and I don't mean that exagerated unrealistic depth that some super priced speakers of today produce. As I mentioned I have never before or since encountered a pair of loudspeakers that offered the combination of detail accuracy and resolution with a natural unforced sound as the Morrisons. It turned out that they just weren't the correct speakers for my listening tastes at the time. I assure you I am no headbanger, but I do listen to a lot of modern rock music, and not even then in my younger days at anywhere near earsplitting volumes, but I do admit to being a bit of a bass freak in my younger days. The people at Morrison were very understanding of my situation and replaced the tweeters all three times at their expense. They also tried to assist me with proper placement of the speakers in my room via computer programs and eventually a visit to my home by Dons right hand man at the time at which point even he agreed after several hours of effort that the speakers were just not going to work in my room as it was,(no acoustical treatment). The hard luck story I referred to had nothing to do with the quality of the speakers but with an unbelievably tragic coincidence of events that transpired with the dealer who sold me the speakers when I was in the process of returning them. I never regretably had the chance to meet Mr. Morrison but the owner of the store where I purchased them expressed to me that he was possibly one of the few true geniuses in the audio industry at that time. He also said he was a bit of a crumudgeon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:20 pm 

Actually Good Sound, my typing skills are so slow that we were probably making comment at the same time. Mine were general only. And I see that you saw the same merits in the design and had the sad reality strike home that the most difficult audio component is the one people least expect...the room. Painful.

And to Smartguy,

Agreed, the Absolute Sound has not heard all speakers, but after what, 30 years(?), quite a few, and certainly most of the best contenders for imaging titles. That the Morrison holds that title in a cost is no object field is a testament to the truth in the design philosophy that the theoretically perfect reproducer should be a point source (though I would argue that a true properly executed line source would have the same characteristics).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:28 pm 

Thanks guys :D I will be looking into these and other ideas over the winter. I run several stereos and love to expeiriment with different combos and theories. I have owned the esprit bps's for years and have always been a fan of speakers that have a big open sound. The corals I have came in an omni design box, but since they are now in a forward firing bass reflex box I miss the omni sound.

marc mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 pm 

Never heard Morrison's speakers, but the Morrison ELAD is a fine preamp for the money....

Joel.

Post subject: MORRISON SPEAKERS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm 

Hi,
Anyone have them and can offer any experiences?
Looking for a new pair to diversify.
Read the info and trolled around. Checking on this Forum for advice.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: MORRISON SPEAKERS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm 

There are really two camps, those people who love these speakers and defend them to the death. In part, they buy into the philosophy that Mr. Morrison puts forward.

I am in the camp that says while they do a couple of things well, they do a number of things that bug me... so I would NEVER buy them.

I heard them several times in Toronto, including the store on Queen East in the Beaches. Not impressed. That store owner has moved to Florida and the internet. He still thinks Morrison speakers are great. Of course he was one of the earliest dealers.

Well that is my 2 cents. No doubt I will get flamed, as seems to happen each time I offer a counter opinion on Morrison products.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:03 am 

Thanks.
Either side of the opinion coin is valid in my books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:40 am 

What speakers do you have now? Put it this way, there are a lot of other speakers I would buy before Morrisons.