Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm 
Support

We have noticed that there are a few users who post a large number of ads. Many other users and some dealers have complained this can be unfair because some high-volume users also make a decent amount of money. Due to these concerns, Canuck Audio Mart is implementing a High-Volume user account.

High-Volume users are identified as individuals who post more than 8 unique product ads for sale a month consistently over a course of 3 months or more out of the past 6 months of activity. Re-listing an ad which has expired will not count as an additional product. We are hoping that CAM members will help us in identifying these high-volume users just as you do for users who should be registered as a Dealer. The cost of a High-Volume user account will be $50 for a year.

Through enforcing the High-Volume user account, we are hoping to rebalance things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:30 am 

How do you sign up for a high-volume user account? How do you contact those in charge of Canuck?

I'm only assuming most of my adds were taken off the site because I qualify for high-volume use. $50 for the year? Still a much better option than E-bay and for that reason alone I'm willing to pay, just would like to know to who and the specifics of what benefits a high-volume user is entitled to versus a free account or dealer account?

i.e. unlimited posts throughout the year no matter how well/poorly I sell? or more like x amount of ads each month and if I do well I'll be charged more for capitalizing? In other words, penalizing results due to other users lack of sales?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 am 

:)

Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number its number is six hundred and sixty six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Bravo :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 am 

I support this change fully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am 

While I support this change fully; the problem is; paying $ 50 a year may not actually solve the problem.

I would like to see further rules added. Starting with a rule that an ad must be run at least the full 30 days before it can be re-listed. There is one seller in particular on here who puts up the exact same stuff basically every week. ItÂ’s almost as annoying as all of those Streem speakers that seem to go up almost daily on Ebay,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm 

knova wrote:
We have noticed that there are a few users who post a large number of ads. Many other users and some dealers have complained this can be unfair because some high-volume users also make a decent amount of money. Due to these concerns, Canuck Audio Mart is implementing a High-Volume user account.

High-Volume users are identified as individuals who post more than 8 unique product ads for sale a month consistently over a course of 3 months or more. Re-listing an ad which has expired will not count as an additional product. We are hoping that CAM members will help us in identifying these high-volume users just as you do for users who should be registered as a Dealer. The cost of a High-Volume user account will be $50 for a year.

Through enforcing the High-Volume user account, we are hoping to rebalance things.

Hi Knova, I love the site, but have an unrelated question. I sent a couple of emails that I found in the FAQ, but I'm not sure if I'll get a response, so I will ask here in hopes that someone sees it.

Is there a way to search archived ads in order to get a better idea of a given items' market value? I am currently buying and selling a home theatre and haven't been able to find this functionality, nor any posts referring to it (but I'll search again). This would be a very useful feature for us not-so-up-on-the-market, periodic, buyers/sellers.

Again, thanks for providing this service/website, it's extremely useful and I really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:43 am 

okanaudio wrote:
While I support this change fully; the problem is; paying $ 50 a year may not actually solve the problem.

I would like to see further rules added. Starting with a rule that an ad must be run at least the full 30 days before it can be re-listed. There is one seller in particular on here who puts up the exact same stuff basically every week. ItÂ’s almost as annoying as all of those Streem speakers that seem to go up almost daily on Ebay,

What is the dealer cost? I would think $50/yr a little low, that is $4/mo to Spam the ads section, easily covered by the sale of 1 item if you don't haggle your profit away. ;)

A 30 day rule would be nice.

I would also like to see ads marked as sold and moved to sold as a requirement. Too may ads are still live that are sold, and others have SOLD inserted in the title but are still live which is ridiculous and the reasoning escapes me. (Is there some sort of a CAM e-peen correlation here that I don't know about? ;))

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:06 am 

RE: " ... more than 8 unique product ads for sale a month consistently over a course of 3 months or more out of the past 6 months of activity. ..."

So, if I were to post 7 "unique product ads" in one month for four months*, and 33 or 133 or 3,333 "unique product ads" for the other two of those six months, I could avoid being labeled a "High Volume User"?

Seems easy to abuse, to me.

How about 12 ads in one year, period? Or some other number, but less than the amount under this new policy, which could be defined as unlimited for four months of the year and up to 56* more ads the other 8 months of the year?

I would support an exemption to the policy for parts and DIY categories, where a higher number of ads, or a certain threshold would not count against the total, could apply. These are typically small parts, people dealing with parts and DIY tools from estates, and so on. Generally not huge dollars involved, basically, but potentially a large number of individual items, and therefore unique ads.

Components, cartridges, turntable accessories, spikes, etc are a different story in my opinion; in other words the majority of categories here on CAM; that's where your policy should be implemented fully.

* Actually "more than 8" means 8 is allowed and a minimum of 9 would trigger the designation; so an unlimited number of unique product ads for the four months and 64 more ads the other 8 months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:36 am 
Premium User

Johnny2Bad wrote:
RE: " ... more than 8 unique product ads for sale a month consistently over a course of 3 months or more out of the past 6 months of activity. ..."

So, if I were to post 7 "unique product ads" in one month for four months*, and 33 or 133 or 3,333 "unique product ads" for the other two of those six months, I could avoid being labeled a "High Volume User"?

Seems easy to abuse, to me.

How about 12 ads in one year, period? Or some other number, but less than the amount under this new policy, which could be defined as unlimited for four months of the year and up to 56* more ads the other 8 months of the year?

I would support an exemption to the policy for parts and DIY categories, where a higher number of ads, or a certain threshold would not count against the total, could apply. These are typically small parts, people dealing with parts and DIY tools from estates, and so on. Generally not huge dollars involved, basically, but potentially a large number of individual items, and therefore unique ads.

Components, cartridges, turntable accessories, spikes, etc are a different story in my opinion; in other words the majority of categories here on CAM; that's where your policy should be implemented fully.

* Actually "more than 8" means 8 is allowed and a minimum of 9 would trigger the designation; so an unlimited number of unique product ads for the four months and 64 more ads the other 8 months.

You do realize that you are commenting on an 9 year old policy change post that has changed half a dozen times since. For current account type etails and limits, see this page:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/support_us.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am 

knova wrote:

High-Volume users are identified as individuals who post more than 8 unique product ads for sale a month consistently over a course of 3 months or more out of the past 6 months of activity. Re-listing an ad which has expired will not count as an additional product. We are hoping that CAM members will help us in identifying these high-volume users just as you do for users who should be registered as a Dealer. The cost of a High-Volume user account will be $50 for a year.

I would also suggest that those individuals who make a business of buying and selling audio be identified as such and carry the label "dealer" or similar.

During an exchange of emails last fall - and noticing the seller had a room-full of gear for sale - I asked him if he was a dealer, he responded with a quite definite "YES".

It is a personnal choice to buy or not from a flipper. I of course prefer buying from someone who has actually owned the product for the purpose of enjoyment, and not to make a quick turn-around buck on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:38 pm 

milag wrote:
knova wrote:

I would also suggest that those individuals who make a business of buying and selling audio be identified as such and carry the label "dealer" or similar.

During an exchange of emails last fall - and noticing the seller had a room-full of gear for sale - I asked him if he was a dealer, he responded with a quite definite "YES".

It is a personnal choice to buy or not from a flipper. I of course prefer buying from someone who has actually owned the product for the purpose of enjoyment, and not to make a quick turn-around buck on it.

A dealer or reseller likely knows more about audio equipment than joe layman audio owner. A good dealer that is honest and wants repeat and referral business will know for sure if there are any issues with a component and let you know, pricing it accordingly. You will be able to demo and listen to the component, check it out first before buying. Joe layman might not notice issues and if he does, he can lie like anyone else and represent the equipment as working 100%. The only issue with dealers is they might ask more than the private sellers but, private sellers go buy what dealers price stuff at anyway most of the time. The good dealers will check the item out thoroughly, bench testing amps, run them when they have warmed up, make sure a turntable is set up properly etc..

I used to be a dealer when there was a market for used mid fi 70's audio. These days unless you sell high end audio like Threshold, McIntosh, Bryston etc don't even bother. The more tube gear you can get the better as well. Newer stuff like Totem sells as well - only a hand full of resell able components exist. Size has become more and more an issue which is why you can buy Acoustat speakers for next to nothing. There is too much out there of high quality with poor resale value just cause it's not condo compatible and the average person is not comfortable buying very old equipment with no warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
milag wrote:
knova wrote:

A dealer or reseller likely knows more about audio equipment than joe layman audio owner. A good dealer that is honest and wants repeat and referral business will know for sure if there are any issues with a component and let you know, pricing it accordingly. You will be able to demo and listen to the component, check it out first before buying. Joe layman might not notice issues and if he does, he can lie like anyone else and represent the equipment as working 100%. The only issue with dealers is they might ask more than the private sellers but, private sellers go buy what dealers price stuff at anyway most of the time. The good dealers will check the item out thoroughly, bench testing amps, run them when they have warmed up, make sure a turntable is set up properly etc..

I used to be a dealer when there was a market for used mid fi 70's audio. These days unless you sell high end audio like Threshold, McIntosh, Bryston etc don't even bother. The more tube gear you can get the better as well. Newer stuff like Totem sells as well - only a hand full of resell able components exist. Size has become more and more an issue which is why you can buy Acoustat speakers for next to nothing. There is too much out there of high quality with poor resale value just cause it's not condo compatible and the average person is not comfortable buying very old equipment with no warranty.

You make some valid points, but consider this also:

1) There are some "joe layman" dealers too. I myself have been given years ago some extremely bad service (more like NO service at all) from a London dealer on a brand new -and faulty- Electrocompaniet integrated. The dealer just pocketed the money and left me out to dry. Same thing on another occasion with issues on a Simaudio Moon integrated. After the dealer played ping-pong with the manufacturer, both let me out to dry and I ended up on the dry end again. I am not bashing anyone, but this forum is also about being honest and not sugar-coating.

2) Dealers won't hear it, but many audiophiles know as much and often more than the dealer about the products they sell.

Given the nature of those high-priced toys, many if not most audiophiles will research information to death for weeks on the web. The typical salesman does not do this, nor has time to, as he has everything from Tivoli radios to cartriges to speakers, cables, amp to be knowlegeable on.

Prior to '94, (meaning the Web) we went to dealers for product knowledge and advice, and this was their main added-value. In 2017...well, not so much anymore, right?

The dealers still can provide a testing-listening environment of course, but then, his listening room is not YOUR room at home. You can always try to convince him to lend you those 5k speakers and 4k amp for the weekend. Some dealers still do it, (for a dac or some IC's) but it is becoming scarce.

Finally, I do believe that your advice to seek an honest dealer is valuable.
It is just that personnal exoerience come into play, and that the value proposition has shifted. Dealers need to re-invent the way they do business, or not at all.

Full disclosure: I have received stellar service from My Kind of...Simco Sound, and Solution A/V on my Oppo player. They are a credit to our hobby.