Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I keep the Chord
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 pm 

First off I am not a computer friendly guy. I listen to mostly records but still a lot of cds. I bought a Chord QUTE Dac awhile back and listen to cds thru it with my Rega Apollo as a transport. Up until recently I have ripped cds and also have Spotify premium to which I listened to from my Mac Book Pro via a USB cable. Everything fine until I updated my OS to High Sierra from Sierra and now my Chord USB drivers will not work. Apple is no help of course and Chord only says there is not much they can do and suggest using a USB to Coax adapter then I would need a coax cable as well. I believe the brand they suggested was Dragonfly. I did some A/B listening tonight between the built in Rega Dac and the Chord and the difference is minor. Not sure if I should look at a different Dac that works with my Mac and sell the Chord or buy the USB Coax adapter. I would appreciate suggestions from more digitally minded members about used Dacs on Cam that would work or an adapter. What would you advise. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm 

The thing is, you might find a DAC that will work with your Mac for the time being. But, your DAC drivers might stop working with future Apple OS versions. You never know when Apple will release an new version that will cause trouble. Buying a USB to coax converter is a good solution to avoid this problem. I believe Schiit audio makes a good one.

http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

You could also buy a combined streamer and DAC that plays files from a computer, NAS or hard drive through an ethernet cable. This is what I did, and I no longer have to worry about USB.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm 

^For now. I think if you don't flip this stuff out every year, it looks like you're begging for trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm 

Thanks Scudder. I will look into it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:10 pm 

I suggest to first try the optical output on the mac. You'll need an 3.5mm adapter made for it, the Audioquest one is $10, or a cable with the same plug at one end.
I have a mac mini for my main system and used a USB, then an adapter, but find I prefer the optical.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 am 

mpublicover wrote:
I suggest to first try the optical output on the mac. You'll need an 3.5mm adapter made for it, the Audioquest one is $10, or a cable with the same plug at one end.
I have a mac mini for my main system and used a USB, then an adapter, but find I prefer the optical.

The downside to this solution is that it will limit you to 96/24, if you ever decide to purchase or listen to hires files.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 am 

Consider dumping the always problematic MAC!

del Sol

-- 20 Aug 2018 12:05 --

del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:09 am 

del Sol wrote:

del Sol

-- 20 Aug 2018 12:05 --

del Sol

its not a mac problem, it's Chord not creating the driver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 am 

Every 2 years a new enhanced product in its respective similar form factor seemingly across all ranges, each and everyone with claimed incremental improvement by the gushing What-HiFi. Seems like Chord are equally savvy product marketers as they are DAC designers.

I had a 2Qute and liked it very much - made me rethink the notion that a DAC required a great traditional output stage to be good. Just don't expect it to hold its value over time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 am 

Thanks mpubliccover, I will look into the Audioquest and an optical cable. I ,m not interested right now with high rez. Quite happy with the sound of cds for the most part.