Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 am 

i love these sleeves and have been using them for years. i always bought them from gary at better music.
but when he passed away i had no where else to buy them locally . years ago i try to save some money and
i bought some on line from cd japan, they were counterfeit as they didn't work as good and i found out later
if each sleeve does't have the logo printed on them the are fake. last saturday i went to Mind Bomb records
in st. catharines to pick up a vinyl order that had came in and low and behold he had some nagaoka sleeves.
my vinyl universe is balanced once again and i'm happier than a pig in s**t. i have no affiliation with Mind Bomb
records just a satisfied customer so lets not go there. john

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 am 
Premium User

jbet wrote:
i love these sleeves and have been using them for years. i always bought them from gary at better music.
but when he passed away i had no where else to buy them locally . years ago i try to save some money and
i bought some on line from cd japan, they were counterfeit as they didn't work as good and i found out later
if each sleeve does't have the logo printed on them the are fake. last saturday i went to Mind Bomb records
in st. catharines to pick up a vinyl order that had came in and low and behold he had some nagaoka sleeves.
my vinyl universe is balanced once again and i'm happier than a pig in s**t. i have no affiliation with Mind Bomb
records just a satisfied customer so lets not go there. john

Amazon has them but the packaging on the couple I looked at had completely different packaging from the other one. Can you post the genuine package picture so we'll know which ones to avoid?

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 am 

i remember the package of the fake ones had Chinese lettering on it, and the real ones are all in English and are in the attachments below. Sorry for the sideways pictures.
John

Attachments:
record sleeves outer.jpg
record sleeves outer.jpg [ 202.21 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]
record sleeves.jpg
record sleeves.jpg [ 140.46 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 am 

I will also add to the greatness of these sleeves - love them - I use double sided tape to secure them in the paper sleeve -

there just awesome !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:55 am 

i love that they fit in the original inner sleeve so you can look at the art work when when pulling out your record

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 am 

I used the nagaoka sleeves for years and I understand what you may like about them.How ever if you do not use them with the original inner sleeve I find them extremely thin and light duty.I've gone to Mofi but they sometimes have there own issues of being hard to get in to certain album jackets...Wish the Mofi could round a couple of corners for easier usage...

If you really think about it, how can any inner sleeve made out of plastic have any anti-static properties...whether the Nagaoka or Mofi...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:51 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
If you really think about it, how can any inner sleeve made out of plastic have any anti-static properties...whether the Nagaoka or Mofi...

The addition of paper is supposed to neutralize any charge buildup as paper is near the opposite end of the tribo-electric scale from plastic. If the sleeve can't develop a charge, I gather the record won't, either. The ones without paper probably use an anti-static chemical added to the polymer matrix.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:08 pm 
Premium User

jbet wrote:
i love that they fit in the original inner sleeve so you can look at the art work when when pulling out your record

Thanks for the tip. I always hated throwing out the stock inserts when there is artwork on it. The BCW polylined inner sleeves fit inside all the 75th Anniversary Blue Notes I've purchased in the last few years. Now I get to put the orig. sleeves back in the jackets! 8)

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:54 pm 

jbet wrote:
years ago i try to save some money and
if each sleeve does't have the logo printed on them the are fake.

R.I.P. Gary at Better Music.

I find it hard to believe that anything sold on the CDJapan website could be counterfeit. Ime the Japanese are extremely meticulous about vetting everything they sell on that site. But I guess innocuous things like LP sleeves could slip through the cracks unnoticed. Very odd though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm 

I happen to be in Tokyo now and they have it for sale off the shelf at Tower records (yeah it still exists in Japan !)

2,200 yen a pack of 50 and I believe it’s genuine ...

Attachment:
49809BEB-81D1-414A-AACA-0A81750637E2.jpeg
49809BEB-81D1-414A-AACA-0A81750637E2.jpeg [ 502.71 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Attachment:
E6029EE8-7AD4-4B7B-AF75-3F6FF3674F7A.jpeg
E6029EE8-7AD4-4B7B-AF75-3F6FF3674F7A.jpeg [ 381.15 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:17 pm 
Premium User

chuttt wrote:
I happen to be in Tokyo now and they have it for sale off the shelf at Tower records (yeah it still exists in Japan !)

2,200 yen a pack of 50 and I believe it’s genuine ...

Attachment:
49809BEB-81D1-414A-AACA-0A81750637E2.jpeg

Attachment:
E6029EE8-7AD4-4B7B-AF75-3F6FF3674F7A.jpeg

Is Tower Records still as great there as when they made that documentary about the company?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 pm 

shawnwes wrote:

Is Tower Records still as great there as when they made that documentary about the company?

Not sure. There’re still many of them in Tokyo. The one at Shibuya is still 8 floors of CD’s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 am 

I've used the Nags and like them. Got an Ebay deal once for a box of 500 from Japan.

Here's an alternative:

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c008923-2 ... oducts/NS1

I've used these. Stuart says they're from the same factory as the Nags and I can't tell any difference. The price is up a lot. I'm pretty sure I paid about 12 GBP for mine last time.

Sleeve City also has something similar:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper- ... p/9235.htm

They're OK but I don't give them a top recommendation. They use a heavier material and cut them to a larger size so that you usually can't put them inside a paper sleeve. They fit fine into a jacket, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 am 
Premium User

I sell these and i’m pretty sure they are exactly the same as the nagaoka (which I can get too) ones too

http://www.tonar.eu/index.php?item=tona ... 28&lang=EN