Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:07 am 

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has auditioned the PMC Twenty Series/23 against the Totem Forests? They are close in size and specs. The PMC's crossover point of 1.8kHz is worrisome but not a deal breaker. The Totem Forest are less expensive which is a good thing but both are approachable at this time. I am using Bryston electronics both pre and power. B1, 4B (SST2) with Audio Quest cables. I find both speakers very nice but the PMC's tend to my ears to be a tad more bright in the top end but again not a deal breaker. Just wondering if people have had the chance to audition them side by side so to speak.

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:52 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The PMCs are brighter than the Totems. I'd be a bit careful with your electronics match unless you specifically want a crisp sound. There are other more neutral options for less money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am 

Thanks, Crisp is fine if it means detailed just not fatiguing. PMC speakers have been mated with Bryston for a long time that is what pulled me in. I am coming from a Magneplanar 1.7 so I am used to that type of detail. I am now looking for a more musical presentation with a better bass response.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:57 pm 

I don’t like the term “bright”. I think it’s the term that has the least definition. Ive owned the 22, twnety5.21 and 22 and the fact 8. I assume the PMC 20.23 is similar to the other twenty series in which case it has great detail and resolution. Tonally it’s very balanced and has amazing bass resolution. I found the twenty22s just made me sit up and listen. I loved them.

If you’re a fan of a warm sound like say, Harbeth, then you may not like PMCs, for my money I think the PMCs are in a different league.

I’ve only owned the fire series of Totem and was not a fan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:31 pm 

I own the 25.23 and find that they will present what your amp delivers. I have had 4 different amps connected to them and each time the tonal balance has shifted, however the detail remained present through them all.
I have only owned Sttaf's in the past and can't recall enough nor had the same system to offer a comment on comparison.

Last edited by mpublicover on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 pm 

malthuse wrote:
I don’t like the term “bright”. I think it’s the term that has the least definition. Ive owned the 22, twnety5.21 and 22 and the fact 8. I assume the PMC 20.23 is similar to the other twenty series in which case it has great detail and resolution. Tonally it’s very balanced and has amazing bass resolution. I found the twenty22s just made me sit up and listen. I loved them.

If you’re a fan of a warm sound like say, Harbeth, then you may not like PMCs, for my money I think the PMCs are in a different league.

Sorry to sideline, but what did you not like about the Fires?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:12 pm 

Thanks for the commments, When I auditioned the twenty23’s I also listened to the twentyfive22’s also very nice! Just wondering what your room dementions are? and if the bass was adequate? It was obvious that the twenty23’s produced more bass but was wondering if I purchased the twentyfive22’s with newer technologies and updated drivers might be an better option? I also listened to the Dynaudio Special 40’s which had a more polite less in your face sound stage when compared to the PMC’s which was nice but I would think I would require a subwoofer at a later date and I am not a fan of subs. Would think a sub would also be needed with the twentyfive22’s.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm 

I auditioned the 25.22 at the same time as the 25.23. I thought the 22's provided more bass but not quite as defined as the .23. I could have gone either way but decided I preferred the aesthetic of the 25.23.
I had a sub hooked up for the Dynaudio I was listening to previously. Never felt the need to connect it again with the PMC's. My room is 8' wide at the component end with the speakers about 2.5' from the front wall. I sit back about 7' from the tweeters, which is where the room opens to 11' wide and has another 10' behind me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:28 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The PMC is more dynamic and far more detailed. The Totem is less money and a decent speaker over all. Listen to them! BOTH require careful amp matching to get the most of them. Listen to them!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm 

Prestige wrote:
malthuse wrote:

I feel the tonal balance was off. I listened to some very good speakers over the last few years and these standout as being just baffling. I couldn’t wrap my head around them. They just never sat right with my ears. The bass was muddy, soundstaging certainly not up to what I expect for that money.

-- 19 Aug 2018 05:21 --

georgeb wrote:
Thanks for the commments, When I auditioned the twenty23’s I also listened to the twentyfive22’s also very nice! Just wondering what your room dementions are? and if the bass was adequate? It was obvious that the twenty23’s produced more bass but was wondering if I purchased the twentyfive22’s with newer technologies and updated drivers might be an better option? I also listened to the Dynaudio Special 40’s which had a more polite less in your face sound stage when compared to the PMC’s which was nice but I would think I would require a subwoofer at a later date and I am not a fan of subs. Would think a sub would also be needed with the twentyfive22’s.

If you have the funds go for the twnety5 series. The 25.22s are simply the best bookshelves I’ve heard. They improve on the 22s considerably. I posted about this previously.

I would add, the 25 series PMCs take time to really understand,more than most speakers. You’re dealing with a very subtle sound transducer. Once you get it you’ll be hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 am 

malthuse wrote:
Prestige wrote:
malthuse wrote:

I feel the tonal balance was off. I listened to some very good speakers over the last few years and these standout as being just baffling. I couldn’t wrap my head around them. They just never sat right with my ears. The bass was muddy, soundstaging certainly not up to what I expect for that money.

-- 19 Aug 2018 05:21 --

georgeb wrote:

If you have the funds go for the twnety5 series. The 25.22s are simply the best bookshelves I’ve heard. They improve on the 22s considerably. I posted about this previously.

I would add, the 25 series PMCs take time to really understand,more than most speakers. You’re dealing with a very subtle sound transducer. Once you get it you’ll be hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 am 

I would add, the 25 series PMCs take time to really understand, more than most speakers. You’re dealing with a very subtle sound transducer. Once you get it you’ll be hooked.

Would you consider the Twentyfive22 over the Twenty23? my dealer said they are very close in price so both are on my short list. Just with the short listen, I thought the 23's had more bass but the 22's had a better midrange. decisions...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am 

georgeb wrote:

I would add, the 25 series PMCs take time to really understand, more than most speakers. You’re dealing with a very subtle sound transducer. Once you get it you’ll be hooked.

Would you consider the Twentyfive22 over the Twenty23? my dealer said they are very close in price so both are on my short list. Just with the short listen, I thought the 23's had more bass but the 22's had a better midrange. decisions...

check you PM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 am 

georgeb wrote:

hey george

thought I'd share a little of my experience.
i had a pair of Twenty22's last year - and paired them with Bryston electronics. They PMC's sounded sweet. Yep, they had some bass, but eventually i swapped them out for a floor stander. And also added a pair of subwoofers.

If you're looking for bottom end - you will definitely need a sub. And it will sound even more delicious!

I'd agree with the crowd... that the PMC's would offer good tonal balance and maintain the clarity you're looking for - over the Totems.

Thanks TJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 pm 

perhaps its room interaction but I removed my sub with the Twenty Five.23