Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 am 

I am looking for a good speaker for guitar sounds.

1. Big Bookshelf
2. Ribbon or best seet sounding tweeter. No horn crap or klispsch craps
3. 8 ohm
4. Transmission line if possible.

What it sound like. I think crystal clear clarity in hi frequency. Should not sound flat. Should be perfect.

I see qacoustics 3050 has good review. I think i want good speaker but i do not want to regret buying. So i am here to get good feedback

Vintage bookshelf which does this also ok.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 am 

alexk wrote:

1. Big Bookshelf
3. 8 ohm

What it sound like. I think crystal clear clarity in hi frequency. Should not sound flat. Should be perfect.

I see qacoustics 3050 has good review. I think i want good speaker but i do not want to regret buying. So i am here to get good feedback

all this on a $500 budget...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 am 

Your post says "speaker", not speakers, so if you are using one speaker to play back "guitar sounds" (musical instrument?) I would also add:

5. "plenty of cheap spare parts available"

However if you go for the 3050s you will at least get an extra speaker since they're sold in pairs but you would need a pretty big bookshelf to fit this on, since they are floorstanders. For the best answers you could clarify things a bit.

Last edited by noway on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:30 am 

In my opinion, you lost all credibility with "klipsch crap". (spelling corrected from OP)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 am 

alexk wrote:

:idea: That sounds like you need a Klipsch speaker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:57 am 

Speakers that use a "transmission line" are, by definition, "horn speakers".

I don't know what to say. "Do guitars well"..., I would suspect you are referring to "electric guitar"? OR, are you talking acoustic?

If acoustic, perhaps consider "full-range".

BTW, typically "ribbon drivers" are found on more expensive speakers - not sure if you are going to achieve a "big bookshelf" with a ribbon for $500, unless you make them.

As for Klipsch, perhaps "I don't like Klipsch" verses "Klipsch crap" would be more appropriate. There are plenty of Klipsch fans here, it won't do you well for responses lashing out at such a respected speaker maker.

Don't forget, Paul Klipsch was awarded, respected, and indisputably one of the greatest minds in audio. He probably deserves a bit more respect than that.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 am 

zon001 wrote:
alexk wrote:

1. Big Bookshelf
3. 8 ohm

all this on a $500 budget?...

+1 ...big time !! (Emphasis added)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 am 
Premium User

Horn crap? Sign me up to team crap unless it's Klipsch reference series! All heritage series is welcome.

If there is better sound out of a crappy horn speaker at $500 used I haven't heard it.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... tudio-530/

Not sure why you have so much emphasis on a "best sounding tweeter" but mention Q Acoustics. I found tweeters to be the low point of the otherwise great products they make.

If your amp is up to the task these ELAC are any easy choice

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... unifi-ub5/

You're expecting way too much with the set budget and haven't mentioned associated gear or room details.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 am 

I don’t think you’ll find a perfect speaker for under 500$, but I’m betting you would like Monitor Audio’s Bronze and Silver lines. Used, you should be able to get the Bronze big bookshelves or the Silver small bookshelves.

8 ohm, traditional tweeter, engaging and super revealing (for its price point). Personally I find them fatiguing, but if you like revealing clarity they’re great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 am 

padboy1 wrote:
I don’t think you’ll find a perfect speaker for under 500$, but I’m betting you would like Monitor Audio’s Bronze and Silver lines. Used, you should be able to get the Bronze big bookshelves or the Silver small bookshelves.

8 ohm, traditional tweeter, engaging and super revealing (for its price point). Personally I find them fatiguing, but if you like revealing clarity they’re great.

Agreed, except for the fatiguing part. Maybe the previous generations of Silvers on the wrong amp.

I vote Bronze 2 on a tube amp for guitar and easy load.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:44 am 

So, some are being sarcastic at the op's requirements for a seemingly perfect speaker for $500.00

Those should open a brick and mortar shop so they can practice in real situations their skills on how to prevent the less-informed (or inexperienced) customer from entering this great hobby.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:10 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

wrong account

Last edited by SimcoeSound on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 am 

Why not tell us a little about your system, source, amp, and speakers etc.

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 am 

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classif ... price_desc

Look through this list, start from the top, and try to find reviews on each model. There are 260+ speakers to choose from at $500 and under on CAM. I'm sure there must be something there that would suit your needs, as long as you are wiling to be a bit flexible in your requirements.

There are lots of good speakers with dome tweeters of various materials. I would steer you toward a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v/2 if you can find a pair at that price. They have aluminum done tweeters but are lovely to listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am 

From a previous topic.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18679

alexk wrote:
I meant it replaces T4W satellite speakers.

I had t3 creative with ditton 100. Sound were out of the world with bass provided by t3 subwoofer.
Azuntech card gave 192khz sample rate. High frequency were chill not noisy or hurting ear. It was like crystal clear sound i ever heard.

Now i bought t4w and want to find ditton in british columbia. so far none i could find.
Also i think t4w degressed someway with their bass. I have to wait and see final results.

I used to hear hearts 1995 greatest hits album (acoustic version) - straight on song. When the drums comes in beginning. SOund has to be real. T4W subwoofer gives thud... but without ditton 100.

So i have to reserve final verdict once i get ditton.

I also see in amazon Qacoustics 3050/3050i but someone said somewhere it lacks bass.

Can 3050 matches with same level as ditton 100?

Or i buy celestion sl6si?

I may have to abandon creative and find 2.1 channel integrated amp with 32 bit 384 khz dac or just 2.1 amplifier and buy sabaj d4 dac to drive that amp. Then but tower speakers.

Anyway i want to keep cost down. That is why i bought t4w to see if its workable in small room.

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca