Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 am 

I am curious if anyone here has purchased a Musical Paradise MP-D2 from the Ebay seller
And if they are legit or not, The Canadian site is totally OUT of Stock on these Dacs and will not be getting any more,as they are awaiting the arrival of the NEW models coming sometime in Oct.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 am 
Premium User

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Musical-Paradi ... SwkSxbI160

Would have no problem buying from this seller...keep in mind that you will likely get dinged for 13% HST when it is delivered...making the total somewhat pricey in my estimation...might be prudent to wait for a used one to pop up on CAM or AUDIOGON...might want to search it out on Hifishark as well...or just wait for the new ones to arrive!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:04 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Musical-Paradise-MP-D2-AK4490-XMOS-BALANCED-DAC-DSD-DOP-384Khz-Decoder/173365906740?epid=730699719&hash=item285d69cd34:g:WRgAAOSwkSxbI160

Would have no problem buying from this seller...keep in mind that you will likely get dinged for 13% HST when it is delivered...making the total somewhat pricey in my estimation...might be prudent to wait for a used one to pop up on CAM or AUDIOGON...might want to search it out on Hifishark as well...or just wait for the new ones to arrive!!! :wink:

Thanks for your input,I was also thinking about maybe waiting for the New models to arrive but as you know NEW is NOT Always better,And I am pretty sure that the new models will be more expensive than
the MP-D2`s were and most likely more than the Ebay sellers even with the HST charges.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:08 pm 
Premium User

joseph49 wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Musical-Paradise-MP-D2-AK4490-XMOS-BALANCED-DAC-DSD-DOP-384Khz-Decoder/173365906740?epid=730699719&hash=item285d69cd34:g:WRgAAOSwkSxbI160

Thanks for your input,I was also thinking about maybe waiting for the New models to arrive but as you know NEW is NOT Always better,And I am pretty sure that the new models will be more expensive than
the MP-D2`s were and most likely more than the Ebay sellers even with the HST charges.

Part of the equation for me often times involves 'resell value'...you will find it impossible to recoup anywhere near what you invested in the MP-D2 when you decide to sell it.

Then again...I've owned a MP-D2 and the only DAC in my experience that really bettered it was a LampizatOr Big 7...so resell might not be an issue for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm 

I am an MP-D2 owner. Before I bought mine I saw the Ebay ad and the guy wanted $100 more than on the Musical Paradise site. The Ebay sellers ad says he has more than 10 available. I say maybe wait for the new ones. If for some reason you didn't like the new model the Ebay seller will probably still have some. By the way, the MP-D2 is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm 

Looks like he may be trying to cash in on the recent build threads and reviews on this unit. I have one and with upgrades it is a fantastic unit. I absolutely love mine.
Cheers...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm 

You would have little issue getting close to your purchase price if you decided to sell a D2, they are actually in demand. I know of a few that have sold and they all went for at least $1K on the used market.

BTW: If anyone has a set of the stock 4490 MP-D2 DAC modules hit me up as I'm in need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm 
Premium User

Voodoo Funk wrote:
you will find it impossible to recoup anywhere near what you invested in the MP-D2 when you decide to sell it.

Indeed. I was about $1650 in to my Mk.II with spare tubes and AKM4497 chipset. It sold for quite a bit less after being listed for a while. With that said it was a keeper and I'd still have it if I hadn't moved to an all in one solution. A very nice piece at the retail price point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:51 am 

It turns out that the Ebay seller that claimed to have 10 of these MP-D2`s actually has None at All "VERY Disappointing", it seems that they were getting them as needed from the manufacturer who now has No more in stock because they are working on the new versions that are coming out later this year

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 am 

I checked a couple days ago and it looked like Musical Paradise may have had "one" only for sale,
I believe it may have been a show demo.

-- 16 Aug 2018 10:13 --

Sorry,
Just looked again on their site and the demo I saw appears to be sold now. :oops: