Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 am 

CAM page won't load, just get a blank page. Problem started today, have done several
Reboots on pc and modem with no change. Can go to any other site with no issues.
Using Win10 and edge. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:52 am 

Had the same problem at the office but now that I am back in the home office it works fine I din't know if it is the system. Microsoft in the office and Apple at home,

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am 

Does it work in other browsers? Firefox, Chrome, etc.

Try Internet Explorer:

Windows Key + R --> type iexplore into Open: field --> try CAM site

Edge has a lot of security settings that can cause similar behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Does this happen occasionally, intermittently, or consistently? Eg if you open CAM on Edge and refresh over and over again it's always blank?

Are all pages blank or just some pages?

Also, as tolpheus asked, does this happen on Chrome and Firefox?

Eg can you visit each of these and confirm they are all blank, and whether they are always blank or only sometimes blank?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/all/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... power-amp/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:13 am 

It appeared to be limited to Windows based applications. I tested on two computers several times yesterday:

1. My laptop running Microsoft through my router = nothing no site came up
2. My iMac running Safari 11.0.1 through the same router simultaneously side by side = no issues

I often have issues with the MS version such as no back button sometimes and other times is work s fine but occasionally when it does the back button sends me back to the previous screen.
Mind you that seems to be an issue on other sites as well so I wouldn't blame it on CAM. Most likely its an IE issue.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:42 am 

For me, I noticed that the Canuck page would not open, but all of my other favourites would. This while using an iPad. Later on, same thing using a Windows based laptop. I tried to get around it by using Google to check a photo of a piece of gear that was used in a Canuck ad. Same thing though, wouldn’t load.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:50 am 

MikeChurchward wrote:
It appeared to be limited to Windows based applications. I tested on two computers several times yesterday:

1. My laptop running Microsoft through my router = nothing no site came up
2. My iMac running Safari 11.0.1 through the same router simultaneously side by side = no issues

I often have issues with the MS version such as no back button sometimes and other times is work s fine but occasionally when it does the back button sends me back to the previous screen.
Mind you that seems to be an issue on other sites as well so I wouldn't blame it on CAM. Most likely its an IE issue.

Mike

This is not an Operating System problem. There is not a MS version site and non MS version sites. 1 site is developed to try and be compatible with all current popular web browsers, regardless of the OS! Sometimes there are bugs/issues either with the site or with the browser itself. Or possibly with a broken DNS look up which is not controlled by the site nor the OS/browser - although an end user can specify a different DNS lookup (Google how to change DNS for your system/browser). Most of these issues can be traced back to a problematic browser plugin or extension such as “Ad Blockers”. This is where I would look first by disabling your extensions, reloading your browser then trying again.

It is also not uncommon for businesses to block certain sites from being accessed by their employees.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:58 pm 

I agree that it is not uncommon for some businesses to block ads but mine is not one of them, However it could certainly be other reasons and definitely not the OS. From a personal experience only and I am not implying one to better than another I have never ever had the grief I get from windows on my iMac and I have the ability to run them side by side every day. And I can't change the settings on my work PC as there are no admin permissions enabled.

Anyway I should be browsing on my own time and not at work so I don't really care Just did the comparison on the day I was working from home.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:38 pm 

MikeChurchward wrote:
I agree that it is not uncommon for some businesses to block ads but mine is not one of them, However it could certainly be other reasons and definitely not the OS. From a personal experience only and I am not implying one to better than another I have never ever had the grief I get from windows on my iMac and I have the ability to run them side by side every day. And I can't change the settings on my work PC as there are no admin permissions enabled.

Anyway I should be browsing on my own time and not at work so I don't really care Just did the comparison on the day I was working from home.

Mike

Can’t comment on your Windows issues vs Mac without knowing the details, but a web site not displaying properly (or not at all) is not due to the operating system. Web Browsers are developed around a browser engine with about half a dozen different engines being the most popular. Web developers are tasked to ensure their web sites render properly within all browsers….or at least the popular engines. Sometimes there is a conflict or issue with a particular engine. Or perhaps the site was developed and tested using only one browser.

Not saying that is the case here, but I am identifying that problems viewing a website is not dependent on the operating system. I always recommend having more than one browser on hand, preferably ones of different engines in the event there is a conflict or if the web page just doesn’t render to your liking. Example: I find Mozilla does not compress images to the same extent as Chrome. I also find the font rendering in Mozilla to be much better than Chrome. But YouTube being developed by Google, I find the Blink Engine based browsers (Googles Chrome Engine) to work better on YouTube than other engines.

If your place of business relies on the internet, your IT department should allow the installation of a different browser – both Mozilla and Chrome can be controlled through IT policies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

If you are experiencing this problem of blank page can you help us try to figure this out by answering the questions I posted in my previous message?
It's important for us to get as much information as possible so we can investigate what is going on. Here's my original post again, reformatted into numbered questions and expanded with extra info.

admin wrote:

1) Does this happen occasionally, intermittently, or consistently? Eg if you open CAM on Edge and refresh over and over again it's always blank?

2) Are all pages blank or just some pages? For instance, can you try each of the following pages and tell us which are blank:

Eg can you visit each of these and confirm they are all blank, and whether they are always blank or only sometimes blank?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/all/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... power-amp/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

3) Also, as tolpheus asked, does this happen on Chrome and Firefox?

4) Can you go to a blank page, and then right click that page, and View Source, and then scroll to the very bottom of all the text that shows up, and cut / paste the last 20-30 lines of text in the source?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 pm 

Hi Guys. I have had this problem for 3 weeks or so.I just kept coming up with page can't be displayed . I am not super computer smart so I keep it simple stupid .I am on windows ten .I googled something and low and behold came across this post and I got on.So I tried to go to home and got blank .Got back to this post and clicked on the top link in admins post and it opened another page and worked .I then opened another page and went into my favorites and deleted my original link,closed that page and added the admins link to my favorites and all is well in the universe now. I hope this helps someone or even makes any sense ! Hell I don't even know if I am replying to this right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:09 am 

Hot Rod wrote:
Hi Guys. I have had this problem for 3 weeks or so.I just kept coming up with page can't be displayed . I am not super computer smart so I keep it simple stupid .I am on windows ten .I googled something and low and behold came across this post and I got on.So I tried to go to home and got blank .Got back to this post and clicked on the top link in admins post and it opened another page and worked .I then opened another page and went into my favorites and deleted my original link,closed that page and added the admins link to my favorites and all is well in the universe now. I hope this helps someone or even makes any sense ! Hell I don't even know if I am replying to this right.

Last night when I used my regular link, I got a Site Map, which said something about Brand new Web page or sumpin'.
Today the same link went to the my usual place and all is well, and I noticed that Parts Connexion has a Brand new Site link at the top.
There might have been a mixup there somehow.

Ott.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

I think after studying this some more, one underlying potential pattern is that users who experience this are using Internet Explorer EDGE on Windows 10. MikeChurchward - can you confirm if that's what you used at work when you had blank pages on CAM?

Can anyone else who has these problems confirm "Hot Rod"'s report that he can access this page:

While this page is blank:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Can anyone else with problems in Internet Explorer EDGE on Windows 10 confirm whether they see a blank page using any other browser like Chrome or Firefox?

Can anyone with problems in EDGE on Windows 10 confirm if they are using any adblockers and if so, what adblockers so we can try to test them?

I have been testing on EDGE 42 on Windows 10 and cannot reproduce the problem so far.