Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 am 

Hi all,

I have a 5.0 system and I recently decided to upgrade my system and I will have ATC SCM19 as front speakers.

My HT receiver is a Denon X4400h which I am not sure is good enough to power these speakers properly.

I checked online and it seems that my receiver has pre-outs for all channels so would I benefit from getting a power amplifier for the front channels in my setup?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:49 am 

Without question a power amp is typically better then any power section in a receiver. Receivers suck in this department.

Last edited by DYNEC on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 am 

These particular model ATC speakers isn't that hard to drive but, if you have already tried it and feel the Denon is under powered, then definitely a power amp for the fronts would benefit your setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm 

Absolutely, you will make a major step eliminating the receiver's amp section and using the receiver strictly as a tuner/pre-amp.
There are a lot of really good amps on CAM for $2000 or less that will do the job.....

Don't skimp on the amp, and you will be on your way to audiophile's addiction for upgrades!! Buy an amp with good solid credentials, used is always good. I could give you a list, but presently that would be a conflict of interest in the Moderators view.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 pm 

An accomplished speaker, but relatively insensitive (requires a fair amount of power). Maybe James_W can help you find something in the $2k price range to go with these; however they deserve a proper preamp to go with the amp - maybe a Naim 202/200 combo would do - used price is in the $3k range.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 am 

I use a Bryston 4bsst amp for fronts with my Anthem mrx 720 as a pre; definitely makes a big difference, especially for tightening up bass. Used 4bsst can be had for $2000 - 2400 with warranty remaining.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 am 

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I don’t listen at loud volumes so I guess I’ll give it a try with the receiver first and see how it sounds.

I had also assumed a power amplifier around 5-600$ would be ok but it seems much more expensive ones are recommended :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:58 am 

more expensive ones will always be recommended however may not necessary depending on what level provides you with enjoyment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 am 
Premium User

I'm a speakers first person but you absolutely need something better than the receiver with SCM19's. You may not think much of them until they are hooked up to quality electronics. If your budget is limited to the $600 ballpark look at adding an older Bryston 3B to the setup. If your budget changes so will my recommendations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 am 

What about going for an integrated (or pre-amp. amp) with HT bypass? that way you completely move the Denon out of the chain when listen to two channel. It's worth it if you spend more time on music with the ATC (which are great speakers...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:53 am 

chuttt wrote:
What about going for an integrated (or pre-amp. amp) with HT bypass? that way you completely move the Denon out of the chain when listen to two channel. It's worth it if you spend more time on music with the ATC (which are great speakers...)

I didn’t realie something like that existed. I think I could stretch the budget a bit for a power amplifier or something like this but I also don’t want to have problems trying to get equal volume level from all speakers etc. I assumed a power amplifier and then running the speaker setup would solve this issue easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:59 am 

GuOD wrote:
chuttt wrote:

I didn’t realie something like that existed. I think I could stretch the budget a bit for a power amplifier or something like this but I also don’t want to have problems trying to get equal volume level from all speakers etc. I assumed a power amplifier and then running the speaker setup would solve this issue easily.

An integrated with ht bypass acts just like a pure power amp when used in the bypass mode. Level matching is not a problem as your AV receiver will balance the levels when you run the room eq program after hooking up the amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:25 am 

KJT1 wrote:
GuOD wrote:
chuttt wrote:

An integrated with ht bypass acts just like a pure power amp when used in the bypass mode. Level matching is not a problem as your AV receiver will balance the levels when you run the room eq program after hooking up the amp.

I just did a quick search - so you’d connect the pre out to the HT bypass. Since it’s basically acting as a power amp would I not just be better to by a specific power amp ? As I wouldn’t use the other features of the integrated

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 am 

GuOD wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
GuOD wrote:

I just did a quick search - so you’d connect the pre out to the HT bypass. Since it’s basically acting as a power amp would I not just be better to by a specific power amp ? As I wouldn’t use the other features of the integrated

What's normally done is that when you listen to music you connect your source directly to your integrated, thereby remove the receiver's presence in the chain. It's generally believed that sound quality of AV receivers are inferior to traditional integrated or pre-amp/amp combo and hence this kinda setup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:51 am 

Since my main source is Apple TV it seemed like many of the setup options were very difficult. Most integrated with HT bypass don't have airplay/bluetooth and it sounds like by using airplay/bluetooth I'll be limiting my sound quality anyway.

I just set everything up as-is with my Denon X4400h and then ran the Audyssey setup. To my ears it already sounds amazing so I don't feel like I'm missing anything which is a relief!
I don't play at super loud volumes but it seems like it easily has enough power to go very loud!