Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:17 am 

Picked up this Adcom the other day , nice sounding unit and pairs with my Adcom DAC . Issue is very picky on burned CD's and some original ones , distorts . I cleaned the pickup lens no luck . I see on line they list the OEM laser , KSS-212B for $25 . Can someone with no gear except a multi meter change one of these pickups , 2 ribbon cables to unplug it seems ?

Attachments:
KSS212B-500x500.jpg
KSS212B-500x500.jpg [ 42.72 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am 

I would tackle it.

I've seen the insides of a few cd players and I would go for it, if I were you, as there doesn't seem to be anything too complex going on.

be gentle and study it a bit before you go for it.

double check and make sure there's no jumper that needs to be dealt with prior to connection (some of the new ones come with jumpers you need to solder away)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

Before you change the laser, you can adjust the laser current limit pot, usually located on the back of the laser assembly.

I have a Pioneer SACD/DVD-A/DVD/CD player DV-578A. All were good but the CD portion.

This unit was outside in my shed for 8 years, heat, cold whatever.

I moved the CD pot so little to the right, and now everything works. More than likely the yellow one in your case.

Adjusting it too far, may damage the laser, but if you are going to replace it, give this a try first.

You can download the service manual here, you will have to join.
http://www.hifi-manuals.com/Adcom/GCD-575/downloads

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm 

Can someone with no gear except a multi meter change one of these pickups , 2 ribbon cables to unplug it seems ?
No.

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm
Please also google "CD player eye pattern"

I would avoid those "New Genuine Original OEM" Optical Pickup Laser on Ebay.

Have you thought about removing the old grease with a solvent good for both plastic and metal and after that apply a lubricant of your choice?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 am 

Thanks for the replies folks . I noticed that the laser is actually the KSS-150a so current replacement is KSS-210 I think . I did clean the rod and used fine oil on it after . I cleaned the plastic slid and applied a wee bit of the white lithium grease to it . No change , but in playing around I notice if I lightly tap the puck that sits on top of the loaded CD the distortion stops for a bit .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am 

You may have a spindle hub disc issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9beee-W20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:12 pm 

I'd say that if you can follow instruction why not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 am 

I had a similar issue with a NAD C542, intermittent tracking and disc recognition issues. The laser in mine was a KSS-213cl which seems very similar to what you need and I was able to swap it out in around 20 minutes. It was a breeze and the player works perfectly now. I think the laser was around 10 dollars on ebay so I ordered two in case I screwed up.

The only sort of stressful part was removing the blob of shorting solder once it was all installed, so a beginner with a multimeter, a soldering iron and a medium-steady hand can definitely tackle this.

As for audiohm's suggestion about the voltage pot on the laser assembly, I did this and it worked for about a month on my unit and then it just fully gave up the ghost. It's not a bad tip if you're on the edge of replacing the part anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:28 am 

Well took it to the shop and explained the issue with burned CD's , owner said it was a micro processor issue and did not want to touch it . So following the suggestion to try the pot , I moved it a hair and then another hair etc until one of the problem disc plays almost perfect . After 3 discs I can hear a bit of breakup for a few seconds in certain cuts , so might pop the top and move it another hair . I marked the pot before I started so I am now at about 1 o'clock I figure , starting point noon . thanks for the tip's .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm 

CD players are meticulous about copied CDRs as far as brands and copying speed. I utilized just MITSUI blank CDR (74 min 650 MB) in 1X speed. In case you're playing with the pot, better stay with orginal CDs and just a single brand of CDR accessible in your general vicinity in 1X speed.

Hope this helps.