Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:18 pm 

Hi all. The fates have conspired in bizarre ways lately and I have a problem likely nobody has had in audio. Keep in mind I can't choose outside of these two tables - so please no "should haves". I have the following option - I bought a Hanns t-30 turntable a while back. I hadn't intended to, but it was on sale and I was looking for something like it - high mass, big and ugly with the option for a second tonearm. I bought a really expensive used helius tonearm on here, after checking that they could drill an armboard for it. Fast forward several months and several dramas. The t-30 is in a box in my living room because the armboard was not drilled properly and has caused me a lot of problems. Everything else though seems exceptionally well made and I have confidence it's a great table. The Helius people have been involved and have suggested to my dealer that i return the Hanns to him and get one of their new Helius Viridian tables for a few extra bucks (well not a few, quite a few actually) . I'm wondering whether to do it. Unfortunately the Viridian table is brand new and there are not many specs on it, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with the brand (Helius or Hanns) and can comment. The Viridian is like 10 grand before the arm and cartridge with tax. All in with the arm and cart this would retail over 20 grand. That's not what I'd be paying for it, but the arm is super high end and this table was designed to go with it. In the same breath though it's not a high mass table and I'm not exactly sure of what I am paying for design wise. It gets nothing but rave reviews but Helius is also an obscure brand and there is not a lot of info on their products. So it's hard to reason either way.

I guess what I'm asking is should I do it. I realize these are insane numbers for a turntable, but I have personal reasons for doing it. I just want to be happy when I do get it all done. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:43 pm 

All I can say is go for it if you can afford it. You really can't go wrong with a turntable with that kind of engineering involved. A friend just bought the new and unheard of VPI Vanquish direct drive turntable together with the VPI 3-D 12.5 tonearm and he's happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm 

Nice looking table. Not crazy priced by today's standards. I like the simple suspension system. Alot better than finicky 3 points if it works!

Keep us posted.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm 

I'm curious about the armboard prepped incorrectly. It's far from rocket science to read a template and do the preps once you have a blank armboard. Doesn't someone owe you a correctly prepped armboard at no cost to you? Wouldn't that solve your dilemma?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
I'm curious about the armboard prepped incorrectly. It's far from rocket science to read a template and do the preps once you have a blank armboard. Doesn't someone owe you a correctly prepped armboard at no cost to you? Wouldn't that solve your dilemma?

+1

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm 

Tom_r wrote:

+1 Fix TT # 1 first and live with it for a while.If you can't get the direct armboard cut properly by the manufacturer than find somebody who can get it right. DTS maybe? It's just geometry. If the dealer is responsible for this maybe start kicking some stuff over in his showroom.... :shock: :lol:
Also maybe check out dealer 'Corby', he would know how/where to get the right geometry board fabricated if not from the manufacturer's materials....

Also if you cant get the dealer and manufacturer to sort it, name them here.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 am 

I like the design of the Hans, two arm pillars, the opposing magnetic feet for isolation. Also the de-coupled motors, this should eliminate parasitic vibration and do a fine job. Only thing I don't see is how to adjust the magnetic isolation if you say add a heavier arm. I presume there is something to allow for that.

The Helius, well, it's hard to say anything about either the Alexia or the Viridan, as their website is basically a bunch of pictures. There's really no information (even tho the Alexia has been out since 2013). Nothing to describe what the suspension is made of or how it's designed. It's hard to say whether the motor is on-board or off-board, and / or if there is any type of motor dampening system in place.

I'd be inclined to get the armboard sorted out for the Hans and have a nice long listen before spending ay more money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Tom_r wrote:

+1

+2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 am 

Why didn’t the dealer take care of the wrongly drilled armboard?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:46 am 

kb007 wrote:
I like the design of the Hans, two arm pillars, the opposing magnetic feet for isolation. Also the de-coupled motors, this should eliminate parasitic vibration and do a fine job. Only thing I don't see is how to adjust the magnetic isolation if you say add a heavier arm. I presume there is something to allow for that.

The Helius, well, it's hard to say anything about either the Alexia or the Viridan, as their website is basically a bunch of pictures. There's really no information (even tho the Alexia has been out since 2013). Nothing to describe what the suspension is made of or how it's designed. It's hard to say whether the motor is on-board or off-board, and / or if there is any type of motor dampening system in place.

I'd be inclined to get the armboard sorted out for the Hans and have a nice long listen before spending ay more money.

The little I've read about it mentions the motor being attached to the subchassis & some form of single point of adjustment suspension that's easy to adj.

Not sure how you'd get to hear one before a purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am 

Viridia a butt ugly turntable IMHO. Hanns is way nicer looking.
Why can't you just get a new armboard for Hanns and have somebody who knows what they are doing re-drill it properly for your arm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 am 

Hanss T-30.
http://www.hanss-acoustics.com
Very nice web site.

Helius Virinda.
http://www.heliusdesigns.co.uk/
Terrible web site.

Fix the Hanss T-30...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
Hanss T-30.
Very nice web site.

Helius Virinda.
Terrible web site.

Fix the Hanss T-30...

Regards
Ohms

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
Hanss T-30.
Very nice web site.

Helius Virinda.
Terrible web site.

Fix the Hanss T-30...

Regards
Ohms

Not a fan of how the Virinda looks and the design itself. Their website is nothing special either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 am 

+2.

I've heard Hanss Turntables at 3dB Audio when they were in business, they are definitely something special and worth hearing. I hope those UK made Helius TT sound better than the web page looks! :roll: