Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:01 pm 

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W5000 and I really wonder if there is something wrong with them. I bought them used from a dealer. I thought they just needed break in but after a long time they still sound like breaking glass. Does someone local have a pair so I can compare? I think mine are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm 

operafan wrote:
I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W5000 and I really wonder if there is something wrong with them. I bought them used from a dealer. I thought they just needed break in but after a long time they still sound like breaking glass. Does someone local have a pair so I can compare? I think mine are broken.

Why not bring them back to the dealer?

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:38 am 

I got them used over a year ago. I kept thinking they just needed to break in. Maybe they aren't my cup of tea. It was a dealer outside of Ottawa and I think I waited a bit too long to get a refund.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 am 

What are you driving them with?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:13 am 

Sarchi wrote:
What are you driving them with?

Tried them with a Teac HA-501 and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:22 am 

operafan wrote:

A review on them Indicating mucho treble.
<https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/audio-technica-ath-w5000-429553/review>
Ott.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:39 pm 

ottguit wrote:
operafan wrote:

A review on them Indicating mucho treble.
<https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/audio-technica-ath-w5000-429553/review>
Ott.

Thanks, they may be working as intended. I really would like to compare them to another set, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm 

If possible see if the dealer that carried them in Ottawa still has a pair to audition,if so take yours along too,Listen to their pair first?
Take note of amp/source etc.used with them?

If zero brightness with their equipment,try yours with same source components & Music,or Music you are used to if possible?

If yours are still bright and theirs are not,obviously you bought some duds,sounds like you sol if that's the case?

If dealer doesn't carry them anymore,they're likely crap,discontinued,but if above test solves your Brightness issue,then your only option may be to change "all" your equipment to match theirs,if that's the case,I'd dump them,your chooice?)...or...

If not,its obvious,dump them on Kijji as fast as you can,or if little invested,smash them to bits with a sledge hammer,so you feel better about getting ripped,plus nobody else down the road will be tortured by their screechy,how this totally reminds of the 1st generation cd players,lol.

I cut up a set of transmission line speakers up and burnt them in the fireplace,felt really good afterwards,really enjoyed watching them go up in flames,sold the drivers.

Wouldn't be the first piece of audio that looks Pretty,but sounds like a Piece of ....

EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's concert Bare Naked Ladies,Talk to the Hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 pm 

Kenny wrote:
If possible see if the dealer that carried them in Ottawa still has a pair to audition,if so take yours along too,Listen to their pair first?
Take note of amp/source etc.used with them?

If zero brightness with their equipment,try yours with same source components & Music,or Music you are used to if possible?

If yours are still bright and theirs are not,obviously you bought some duds,sounds like you sol if that's the case?

If dealer doesn't carry them anymore,they're likely crap,discontinued,but if above test solves your Brightness issue,then your only option may be to change "all" your equipment to match theirs,if that's the case,I'd dump them,your chooice?)...or...

If not,its obvious,dump them on Kijji as fast as you can,or if little invested,smash them to bits with a sledge hammer,so you feel better about getting ripped,plus nobody else down the road will be tortured by their screechy,how this totally reminds of the 1st generation cd players,lol.

I cut up a set of transmission line speakers up and burnt them in the fireplace,felt really good afterwards,really enjoyed watching them go up in flames,sold the drivers.

Wouldn't be the first piece of audio that looks Pretty,but sounds like a Piece of ....

EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's concert Bare Naked Ladies,Talk to the Hand.

Thanks, I'm beginning to think I need to use the sledgehammer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Having heard all three in this graph, we can confirm the sound matches the lines.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompar ... =0&graphID[]=123&graphID[]=2033&graphID[]=2321

(you'll have to copy and paste as they use some trickery to disallow direct embedding)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 pm 

POS. the link doesn’t work, even when pasting it. You have to use the Insert URL tool within message editor when posting.

But looking at the frequency response for the ATH W5000, it seams to lack low frequency and has a peaks in the upper mids and treble. Not sure if this what the OP is hearing or not

http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?g ... date+Graph

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 am 

Is there a possibility of trying to contact the manufacturer(not sure where they are made),to see if any recourse is available,regarding replacement/upgrade with a more musical pair?

I'm 100% sure Head phones have come along ways since I've popped a set of cans on my ears,when the kids were young,and I enjoyed some late night Listening.

Is there a local distributor,you could try contacting,unless of course their whole line up is similarly voiced?

Going inside and possibly modifying them is another option,(warranty voided,if any?)however suspect chips,tiny circuits involved inside.

Now,I'm curious if anyone doing d.i.y on this forum,or d.i.y audio has ever tried modifying cans?

At this point I'm sure you honestly can't stand/enjoy their overly bright presentation,so I'd consider getting them modified,(if even possible?)..my thinking is if there is a Tech who fixes them,more than likely had tried modifying(tweaking) a pair,most so if you are into giving more effort,as they're basically useless the way they are,on the other hand are they worth the effort,not sure what you have into them,or how much energy you want to try and make them Listenable?
off to work...
Peace & Harmonies
EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's Concert
Lee Ritneour Overtime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 am 

Open 'em up, and put tiny piece(s) of toilet paper over the driver...….increase the number of pieces as required.

Cheers, del Sol

-- 18 Jul 2018 13:47 --

Open 'em up, and put tiny piece(s) of toilet paper over the driver...….increase the number of pieces as required.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 am 

del Sol wrote:

Cheers, del Sol

-- 18 Jul 2018 13:47 --

Cheers, del Sol

I was thinking of the exact same thing. And without even looking at the response curve I can say lack of bass and peaky mid and treble are exactly what I hear.

Edit: just looked at the response curve and it makes sense. Thanks to everyone, I think I have my answer.