Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:47 pm 

Are there any streaming services yet that provide this audio quality level for movies?
It seems the HT audio-video technology advance really stalled out when the world so heavily adopted the easy way out and accepted lower fi sound and video just to make it easy to avoid actual shopping or having to get up and open the drawer to put a real disc in.
For the masses that type of decoding perhaps isn't even necessary any longer. Maybe this is the time to scoop up those older megabuck processors that most let go when the newer audio formats came out as they now sell for a pittance and have stellar decoders in them.
Netflix and the like just doesn't quite fulfill the potential experience a great it system is capable of.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm 

X-Box just released news that they will be updating the X-Box to handle the next level up of HDR. As in Dolby vision, but that is with discs, Netflex is rumored to be doing it shortly.... but rumors are rumors..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

Netflix currently supports HDR through supported TV’s. You also need to subscribe to their premium service, which I think is only $2/month more. But titles are limited.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 pm 

Not that I know of, although I'm sure they're coming. I think it's mostly a matt7uer of the bandwidth necessary to provide a HD video feed and a HD audio feed together. I'm pretty sure all video streaming services use large amounts of compression in their HD video feeds and herein lies the problem. Not only do streaming services provide an.inferior video feed they also have lower quality audio at a higher price than what brick and mortar rental outlets charged for a physical Blu-ray rental. The advantage, the only advantage the streaming services offer, is convenience and this one factor has always been the sole determiner of a formats ultimate success and always has been. Quality, no matter what anybody says, has never been a major factor in the success of any consumer audio or video format. That includes the compact disc and any other disc based format whether audio or video. I almost wept the day the last vudeo rental outlet closed in.my city. A Blu-ray rental was cheaper than it's streamed counterpart with far superior picture and sound quality. What a shame, as we are most likely still years away from any streaming service offering video and sound quality equal to, nevermin7usuperior to Blu-ray, if ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 pm 

No matter when they do, it still wont match that of physical media. Was watching BBC Blue Planet on Netflix in 4k. Decided to switch to hard media since I had the 4k disc. Netflix 4k video pails in comparison. Audio will be the same. Just not enough bandwidth to keep up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 pm 

Convenience trumps physical media today. Netflix will catch-up at some point, and will probably even exceed physical media at some point. Bandwidth is sufficient (even Shaw does 150 meg for a reasonable price).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 pm 

The shame of it all is that HT audio and video technology is now at a standstill until viable supportive streaming catches up. A massive amount of time lost developing something that intuitively would have surpassed the current hi def formats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 am 

I am one who scooped up one of those older top-tier pre-pros for cheap ... It sounds as good as a very decent stereo preamp, has an outstanding DAC onboard, room correction, bass management ... and will accommodate surround.

If I'm playing a BD with DTS Master Audio or Dolby TruHD (which is not supported) I just pass the 6-channel output from my player to the processor ... I'm very satisfied with the sonics.

Last edited by L-Man on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am 

L-Man wrote:
I am one who scooped up one of those older top-tier pre-pros for cheap ... It sounds as good as a very decent stereo preamp, has an outstanding DAC onboard, room correction, bass management ... and will accommodate surround.

If I'm playing a BD with DTS Master Audio or Dolby TruHD (which is not supported) I just pass the 6-channel output from my player to the processor ... I'm very satisfied with the sonics.

-- 13 Jul 2018 06:43 --

I am also using a pre pro and all separate amplifier. and it is sounding amazing, it easely beat the cr.. out of ANY mickey mouse receiver out there. and I am convince that just adding some speaker to the ceiling at the rear and sides being feed by the same amp feeding my rear and sides would yield better result than a atmos MICKEY MOUSE receiver.
it all depend on the recording mixe, if it s well made . it will sound amazing. but elas many surround recording mixe are not well made, I would even say that over 40 % are very badly mixed , loosing that you are there feelin.2 of the major mistake being made are; first loosing that voice presence by isolating it in the center only(big mistake)
and second by taking away the momentum of a good kick in the bass by putting it all in the subwoofer channel,but mistakingly putting it down by 12 d/b.
one thing I also hate in movies today is that when playing speech only , you have to cranck it up a good 10 d/b and all the suden a explosion with a 20 d/b boost come from nowhere . you know, you can make some special effect in a movie, but please stop that race for who can make the biggest bang in d/b differences. they could easely make it realistic without having to put limiters on your subwoofers.
that is why I use my surround systeme for live show music only.when Hollywood will start being realistic again, then I might start renting movies again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 am 

Apple are reporting that they are adding Atmos through the Apple TV 4K this fall.
I have used the service since gen1 - 10 years now. Movies still look amazing to me even if not at Bluray quality. I gladly surrender the difference for not only the convenience but also the preview feature and availability of getting the title I want; which was often a problem at the video store.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 am 

mpublicover wrote:
I gladly surrender the difference for not only the convenience but also the preview feature and availability of getting the title I want; which was often a problem at the video store.

True. A second advantage to steaming that I overlooked, although the last brick and mortar rental store in my city, Family Video, always had plenty of copies available in both DVD and Blu-ray. They even had some 4K titles.