Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 am 

I have to ship a pair of speakers to California and the boxes are:
23" by 19" by 45" and weigh 70 lbs each.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to ship that they've tried? Any ways they wouldn't recommend?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:27 am 

Beware.

Friend of mine shipped lge speakers inside Canada and landed in a nightmare with the courier company and insurer when one of those boxes was dropped, trashing one speaker. Insurer considers damage to the one box as a discrete claim, ignoring (within its rights, it appears) the fact that a pair is necessary to work in stereo!

Impossible to ship all in one box? I guess so.

Soln: Insure each box for the $$ value of both speakers (and make the buyer pay for it).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 am 

I didn't realize how insanely expensive insurance is. It ends up being more than 10% of the cost of the speakers. Which means they are either making a tonne of money of they're destroying the speakers 1 out of 10 times. I suspect it's the former.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am 

Shipping companies in general make a ton of money dealing with people who don't have business accounts. Example, some SHL+ Harbeths shipped from Ontario was only ~$70 using someone's business account. Normally it's like 3x the price :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 am 

shipping speakers is a very risky proposition...I know that Kenrick Sound out of Japan uses custom built shipping containers with "shipping sensors" affixed to the containers.
Now these are $10,000 + speakers they're shipping, but you get the point

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 am 

malthuse wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to ship that they've tried? Any ways they wouldn't recommend?

Thanks

Wrap each speaker in a thick walled poly bag sealed with tape.

Look for a professional shipping service that offers foam-in-place or similar foam block protective packaging.
At 70 lbs, a pillow of very thick bubble wrap might work.

At minimum double boxed, heavy cardboard for each speaker.

Better and less expensive is a single wooden crate.

Either will need to be opened for inspection by customs services so mark very clearly "open this end!"

Insurance for damage to audio equipment during shipping may hinge on proof of professional packaging.
Claims are often dismissed if the overall box has not been damaged or punctured.

Difficult to blame UPS for damage to delicate speakers when the shipping box looks perfect :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am 

jst_canuck wrote:
malthuse wrote:

Thanks

Wrap each speaker in a thick walled poly bag sealed with tape.

Look for a professional shipping service that offers foam-in-place or similar foam block protective packaging.
At 70 lbs, a pillow of very thick bubble wrap might work.

At minimum double boxed, heavy cardboard for each speaker.

Better and less expensive is a single wooden crate.

Either will need to be opened for inspection by customs services so mark very clearly "open this end!"

Insurance for damage to audio equipment during shipping may hinge on proof of professional packaging.
Claims are often dismissed if the overall box has not been damaged or punctured.

Difficult to blame UPS for damage to delicate speakers when the shipping box looks perfect :idea:

Agreed!
Beside, UPS will not cover ANY physical damage if you pack yourself! The insurance provided is ONLY against loss! If you want coverage, you need to let them pack them.

If I was packing them, above is a great suggestion. You could even line the inside of the crate with the 1" pink Styrofoam sheets you can get from the depo to help absorb shock and protect speakers corners.

In my opinion, the best way to ship speakers is to not do so in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 am 

I bought a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M floor standers from my home town of London ON and had then shipped to Kelowna BC where I live now. Fedex delivery with not a scratch. If the speakers came originally from Italy and were well packaged like mine were why shouldn't they arrive safely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 am 

to ship maybe not courier but on a skid using trucking company

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 am 

I ship daily in my business. I have shipped up items from a few ounces to 1,700 pounds. What I suggest you can do is go to your local home depot store...go buy a sheet or two of 4 X 8, 2 inch thick styrofoam. Cut the foam into sheets that totally surround the speakers. Tape all seams with red Tuck tape. Wrap the speakers with the tape as well a couple of times in the middle of the sheets so that the foam is well supported. If you want, add a second layer. 4 inches of closed cell foam will protect the speakers against corner damage and scrapes etc. Nothing can prevent speaker voice coils from speakers being dropped etc. Wrap the styrofoam in cardboard or build them into a box. If you strap the speakers to a skid and then ship accordingly there will be little chance of them being dropped. If you are really concerned, build a box out of 1 by studs and 1/2 inch plywood and then strap them to a skid.

To build a box, supply and wrap the speakers in foam, etc will take you a couple of hours and cost $150.00 or so.

For me, I have bought and sold a few sets of large speakers. I refuse to ship them and require the customer to come, listen to the speakers, then take em away. No risk for me. And if I am buying speakers, I drive to where the speakers are, give them a critical listen, then buy and take them away myself.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 am 

canisbay wrote:
I bought a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M floor standers from my home town of London ON and had then shipped to Kelowna BC where I live now. Fedex delivery with not a scratch. If the speakers came originally from Italy and were well packaged like mine were why shouldn't they arrive safely.

Did you ship your's in the original factory packaging as used from Italy?

OP is not saying he has the original packaging for his speakers so he has to make decisions on how much padding to use and what the overall box material should be.
The factory makes packaging choices, tests the results by actual shipping and monitors problems with customers. They may make changes based on that!

As to "why shouldn't they arrive safely", the list of real world situations is very long and quite sad :lol:
A few examples:

FedEx will drop your box....perhaps several times.

FedEx will put other stuff on top of tour box in the back of the trucks....sometimes really heavy stuff.

FedEx may freeze or cook your box...but not intentionally.

US and Canadian Customs will move your box and open it with the greatest of care. After inspection they will seal it up perfectly.
Yup, it could happen that way.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am 
Premium User

While having no personal experience with this, at 140 lbs, I wouldgo to the expense of palletizing the speakers in addition to using closed cell foam etc. Good luck! Not something I would go to the trouble of doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am 

brownslane wrote:
I ship daily in my business. I have shipped up items from a few ounces to 1,700 pounds. What I suggest you can do is go to your local home depot store...go buy a sheet or two of 4 X 8, 2 inch thick styrofoam. Cut the foam into sheets that totally surround the speakers. Tape all seams with red Tuck tape. Wrap the speakers with the tape as well a couple of times in the middle of the sheets so that the foam is well supported. If you want, add a second layer. 4 inches of closed cell foam will protect the speakers against corner damage and scrapes etc. Nothing can prevent speaker voice coils from speakers being dropped etc. Wrap the styrofoam in cardboard or build them into a box. If you strap the speakers to a skid and then ship accordingly there will be little chance of them being dropped. If you are really concerned, build a box out of 1 by studs and 1/2 inch plywood and then strap them to a skid.

To build a box, supply and wrap the speakers in foam, etc will take you a couple of hours and cost $150.00 or so.

For me, I have bought and sold a few sets of large speakers. I refuse to ship them and require the customer to come, listen to the speakers, then take em away. No risk for me. And if I am buying speakers, I drive to where the speakers are, give them a critical listen, then buy and take them away myself.

Best of luck.

You describe a very secure and safe way to package delicate equipment. Did the same thing with a Sabre jet starter motor/generator last year.

This trip to California will involve inspection by US Customs agents.
They may really like your efforts, especially if you include some clear instructions on the best way to open the box, cut tape and pull out each speaker.

Or they may not :evil:

They may also not place the speaker back into the box and re-assemble the box quite the way that you feel is the best.

What to do :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am 

sell them local

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Yeah, there's a bit of a lesson learnt here. I could have easily sold them locally and I'm losing my shirt on shipping, exchange rate, paypal fees. In future no selling to the US.

I have the original boxes so that helps. I think I'll go the route of palletizing and wrapping. I have a shipping department at my work who can help with this.