Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 pm 

Hello. I have a VSX-1121K receiver I have been using for my Polk RTI A9's and I am very pleased with the sound. I realize they are definitely underpowered and figured perhaps now is the time to consider a dedicated amp to truly enjoy the sound.

I don't believe the receiver has pre-outs so I would need to upgrade. What amp would you suggest to power these speakers? I'm to open to used amps/receivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The RTIA9 is a surprisingly good speaker! One of those "son of a gun" moments I enjoy in the hobby, but they do reflect what they are being driven with, for sure. Budget?
Cheers, Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 pm 

I've played with older Polk speakers such as the monitors and the SD a series. Not sure how similar they are to the ones you have but I always found them kind of smooth and laid-back. Based on that I would suggest something like Bryston for solid state or I had really good luck with a pair of ASL hurricanes. If you were going with tube I would suggest something in the KT 66 or 88 family with a fair bit of power. And I did find them to sound a bit better with Tubes then with solid state but that's always my preference

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:50 pm 

You know somethimg? When i entered the hifi world about 10 yrs ago, my first set of speakers were a set of RTiA7s. Paired with a simple NAD L53 all in one unit at 50watts, they were incredibly detailed and the bass was quite incredible for the price point.Those RTiA9s would be a bit more bass hungry and could benefit from more watts. My suggestion would be to consider a NAD amp of some variety....maybe a NAD 375 etc. Depends on your budget of course.