Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm 

I am mostly a mini monitor guy but occasionally, I would like a bit more bass. I am not a bass freak but would like to try a sub as I have never owned one.

I have 3 pairs of budget speakers from Focal, KEF and Dynaudio and a modern Yamaha 700 2 channel amp that does have a subwoofer connection on the back.

I like to buy things new and was thinking about a basic Paradigm model in the $500 range.

Room is only 10x10 and I do not listen loud.

I literally have no idea what to look for. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:09 pm 

I would start with an SVS, either the SB-1000 or PB-1000, for $675 each.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:21 pm 

banerjba – perhaps one of REL’s or Sumiko’s (I believe they are the same) smaller subs. Heard a small REL with a Harbeth P3EST at Planet Of Sound a while ago and was quite amazed at how well it integrated into the system. Both recommend the SpeakOn connection over line level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:25 pm 

For music in a small room, either the Rel T0 or the Totem Kin would be my choices. Neither will go loud or deep, but will give you nice tight bass down to 35hz or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:31 pm 
Premium User

meiwan wrote:
For music in a small room, either the Rel T0 or the Totem Kin would be my choices. Neither will go loud or deep, but will give you nice tight bass down to 35hz or so.

+1

Both pair well with a variety of speakers. The Kin has been my go-to sub for small monitors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm 

James_W wrote:
meiwan wrote:

+1

Both pair well with a variety of speakers. The Kin has been my go-to sub for small monitors.

James – would that be the Kin or the Mini Kin? Just for clarification.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm 
Premium User

sthomas1049 wrote:

The standard 8 inch Kin sub. I found the mini to be better suited for a little office or desktop system.

https://totemacoustic.com/en/kin-sub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm 

James_W wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

The standard 8 inch Kin sub. I found the mini to be better suited for a little office or desktop system.

https://totemacoustic.com/en/kin-sub

Thanks. My home office is strictly headphones – I’ve pondered some powered monitors and wondered about adding a sub.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 pm 

I would love a Totem product and I did not realize there was a sub below the storm.

That just moved to the top of the list.

James W, I am very keen on your thoughts on the Totem since we like a lot of the same brands. What makes this one the value champ in your experience.

Has anyone tried the Paradigm PRD 80 or 100? Both are sold near me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

For small spaces, a sealed sub can generally provide the greatest satisfaction. A little thing called low distortion and subtleties of articulation. Ported can't touch this all important aspect.

My last pair of subs was the Velodyne Optimum 10. One per channel....

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Uf68pchF ... cquer.html

The kin sub from Vince looks like a nice unit.

Importantly, it has the ability to phase match the given upper box, with a fully adjustable phase setting. (0-180 degrees) In this way you can tune for the best transient matching, over time, via subtle tweaking of phase and location, etc. One per channel is the ideal to reach for, if possible.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm 
Premium User

banerjba wrote:
James W, I am very keen on your thoughts on the Totem since we like a lot of the same brands. What makes this one the value champ in your experience.

The Kin has a speed to it that compliments most mini monitors, it never takes away from their qualities. I find it very easy to match with almost any speaker and the footprint is small. It's not going to rock the house but offers a cost effective solution for bass augmentation. When I was selling Totem I never warmed to the Storm and Thunder but they sure look beautiful in cherry. Stick with sealed subs if possible and you won't be disappointed. The smaller REL subs are just as good or better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 pm 

Check this out http://mjacoustics.co.uk/pro-50-mk3/ I have their 200 and it is the best sub I have owned. My room dimensions are 11'x13' and I listen at a low levels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:10 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Don't do it!
Move up the speaker chain instead!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:01 am 

Hi,

Note to banerjba. 2 cents worth. I ran a small closed sub with a pair of NHT Super Zeros for a while. It wasn't an NHT sub and I forget the make. I played with it a lot and it was a fun experiment. But in the end you are always faced with a stubborn 'integration' problem, and adding a second sub, while beloved by some, just can't solve that. The voicing of any sub is going to vary from the voicing in the overlapping frequency range of the mains. In a pro-audio setting this is less critical because the audience is far less tonally critical, but in an audiophile setting it can drive you crazy.

A well designed full-range speaker sidesteps the integration issue through clever choice of drive units that integrate well and by cross-over tweaks. Another way to sidestep this problem is to design subs specifically to integrate with certain mini-monitor speakers. So, for instance, Rogers designed bass units to marry specifically with the LS3/5a. But mostly, people now mix and probably mismatch. The Paradigm subs were likely designed to marry with the Atoms, for home theatre application. Ditto for the PSB subs and their HT products.

The challenge will be to find a sub where the tonal signature blends with your (choice of) mains. This is far more important than the size of the woofer/ the on-board amp/ or whether it is ported or closed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to banerjba. 2 cents worth. I ran a small closed sub with a pair of NHT Super Zeros for a while. It wasn't an NHT sub and I forget the make. I played with it a lot and it was a fun experiment. But in the end you are always faced with a stubborn 'integration' problem, and adding a second sub, while beloved by some, just can't solve that. The voicing of any sub is going to vary from the voicing in the overlapping frequency range of the mains. In a pro-audio setting this is less critical because the audience is far less tonally critical, but in an audiophile setting it can drive you crazy.

A well designed full-range speaker sidesteps the integration issue through clever choice of drive units that integrate well and by cross-over tweaks. Another way to sidestep this problem is to design subs specifically to integrate with certain mini-monitor speakers. So, for instance, Rogers designed bass units to marry specifically with the LS3/5a. But mostly, people now mix and probably mismatch. The Paradigm subs were likely designed to marry with the Atoms, for home theatre application. Ditto for the PSB subs and their HT products.

The challenge will be to find a sub where the tonal signature blends with your (choice of) mains. This is far more important than the size of the woofer/ the on-board amp/ or whether it is ported or closed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David Neice

David, was this single attempt the only one you tried? Did you try 2 subs? did you try other speakers?

marc mc